1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If it was up to me I would have the Moon Knight on Disney+ either in January, two months before the new Batman or at least half a year after. They aim at similar tone and the Dark Knight will overshadow the series in the media if they're too close to each other.

While it was pretty much given, it's nice that She-Hulk gets to be her funny self and not her angry self like she is in recent years in the comics.

Of the rest only X-men '97 is something I plan to check which is not a lot. Maybe future trailers will change it.

One thing I don't get is why Marvel doesn't finally add Mutants to MCU. Disney+ needs content and that part of Marvel has like a dozen potential series with characters that are already popular. Waiting another few years for maybe a movie to start it all is just wasting their time. Then again maybe they consider them to be a lifeline if all the other shows aren't as popular as they wanted and MCU starts losing its shine.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd bet they're waiting to see how their multiverse stuff plays out with fans. If a major success, they'll vaguely rope in the fox continuity as being another universe, so they don't have to do a reboot on all those character origins (similar to the way they just jumped right in to the story with Spider Man).

3. Celestin

Probably, but in my opinion they're wasting their time when Disnely+ is struggling with getting more content. Streaming is not movies and when Marvel could use their time to build up less popular characters for two movies a year, right now they need to add more effort to help keeping people pay every month. Since Disney doesn't plan to do Netflix model with 10 productions a month with 1-2 actually being good, they need to have something that people are already waiting for without needed to convince they will like it and should wait. Right now, only Obi-Wan is something like that and based on info we have about future MCU projects, X-Men will join it no earlier than 2024, maybe even later.

Anyway, that's just my take from a business side of things. Feige probably wants to not mess adding mutants to MCU and that's why he's doing it slowly, but I suspect it's only his track record that keeps the Mouse from forcing him to speed it up with characters that are already popular and a lot safer bets than some of the upcoming shows.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When it was 1-2 movies a year, I could follow everything. When it's 2-3 movies a year + twenty seven and a half shows, I am past caring. Disney is turning the MCU into a bloated mess and pushing SW onto the same path. It seems every character that has appeared in any show is getting its own show.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I absolutely loved Eternals, easy top 5 for me. Best portrayal of a speedster in live-action by a longshot.

6. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

Not saying you're wrong about this, but I do think one of the main reasons it feels particularly jumbled right now is because we're right in the middle of the post-lockdown condensed schedule. So many projects got pushed back that we're getting almost a movie a month, and even the Disney+ shows had a similar if less extreme process hit them. It's definitely growing more and more complicated, but I'd wait until they get back on a planned schedule before passing a final judgment.

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    ...so what? It's not like someone's standing over Disney insisting they release everything all at once. They control their own release schedule.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I know it’s not true, but it feels like there has been nothing since Endgame. The shows don’t hit the same way.

9. yargle

yargle Professor

That's part of the problem of continuing a franchise past something called Endgame. It's a level of thematic dissonance on par with a movie with the tagline "there can be only one" having multiple sequels, a spinoff tv show and a spinoff tv show of the spinoff tv show.

10. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

They do, but their options are to either release projects in close proximity for a stretch of a few months before getting back on the original track, or space them out and alter the schedule for every planned or in-the-works project. Considering that the negatives of the first option (oversaturation) are somewhat balanced by positives (short wait times for fans between shows/movies), then it makes sense they've chosen what they have.

Anyway, regardless of what they could or should have done, my point was simply that the feeling of bloatedness was something that could decrease or disappear when the schedule returned to the original plan and spaced out again, completely separate from whether the condensed schedule we're currently in the midst of was the best available option.

11. Celestin

While Marvel doesn't plan to have a movie every two months as is happening right now, the schedule for 2022 and 2023 is about a movie every three months plus Disney series in between.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness May 6, 2022
    Thor: Love and Thunder July 8, 2022
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever November 11, 2022
    The Marvels February 17, 2023
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 May 5, 2023
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania July 28, 2023

MCU is not slowing down anytime soon and it can overwhelm people, especially when unlike with comics where it's normal you pick your favorites, Marvel wants people to consider everything important and a part of a bigger plan.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    Watched Shang-Chi. There are minor gripes, but on the whole, I enjoyed it more than I care to nitpick. The action scenes were absolutely badass, visual effects were phenomenal. When it comes to the fun factor, it blows Black Widow out of the water. Don't get me wrong, it was fun in the same way Fast & Furious can be fun. There are MCU entries I consider to be better films, with more thought out themes and stronger characters, but not every superhero movie has to aspire to be in that loftier category. Shang-Chi didn't take itself too seriously and I think it was a good creative choice.

Fun stuff, would recommend. Some of the best action in the MCU.

13. Celestin

Sony and Marvel insist that the other two Spider-Men are not in the film. It's possible, but not very likely. What I don't get, if they are in it, what's the point of working that hard to keep it a secret and then have it in the UK two days before the US. I would assume they would want the biggest possible group of people to have a chance to get surprised instead of forcing them to basically avoid the Internet for 48 hours while they wait for a chance to check it for themselves.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    Maybe the other spiderbois are really not in the film?

15. Celestin

Someone definitely is in the film that is not revealed in the trailer. There is one scene that they quickly fixed where Lizard gets hit by an invisible force.

I would say it's Garfield Spidey and I agree with suggestions that if he's in then it should be him who saves MJ.

If they're not in then unlike with the fake Quicksilver, fans can't really complain because Marvel never did anything official even suggesting their involvement.

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    If they are in the movie, I honestly don't understand the marketing strategy of keeping shit silent when they must realize people will pick the trailers apart frame by frame looking for any shred of evidence. Just imagine the hype if they'd brought Garfield and Maguire out at the San Diego comicon panel (I assume this movie had one) and were just like "yeah, it's a spiderparty, GET HYPE".

Maybe it's about downplaying expectations. Because at this point it just looks like someone organising a surprise bday party and when the bday boy/girl shows up and everyone jumps out yelling "surprise" the organizer stands there with a fake smile insisting there is no party.

17. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

They are definitely in the movie. But the ad department is waiting until the last second to build ultimate hype to release a new trailer with them in it. Also, I have heard the CG for the movie isn't even finished yet and there was a ton of talk about moving the movie back. Looks like its going forward, but it will be interesting to see when the CGI will be finished. I think they are working 7 days a week right now trying to get it all done.

18. Celestin

At least Hollywood is yet to copy the games and they work to have it done completely instead of telling people that it will be fixed for dvd and streaming.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First two eps of Hawkeye are really fun. The dialogue is a little stilted and the stakes feel incredibly low, but tired!Dad Barton is fun stuff and Bishop is actually a pretty likeable character.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They really knocked it out of the park in the moment where Clint inspires young Kate. The Tracksuit Mafia are hilarious too, bro.