1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Dracula should have paid up on time.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While I'm indifferent about the character, I really like "wants to be a superhero and becomes a superhero" take. It's surprisingly rare to have this kind of straightforward wish fulfillment in Western media these day.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean... they already did the "become your favorite hero" trope with Hawkeye, so I hope it has a different feel and is able to tell a more mature story than just "Captain Marvel fangirl gets superpowers and feels #empowered".

4. Celestin

I suppose the difference to me is that Kate is clearly not "one of us" person even before she joins Hawkeye while, at least in this trailer, Kamala feels like an everyman character.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You all should be hyped for the fanfiction writing hero.

6. Odin

Odin Squib

I don't really like everyman characters personally, most YA fiction is full of generic everyman main characters.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  7. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    The selfest-insert of all self-inserts

8. Celestin

Finally checked No Way Home now that you can stream it.

It was pretty cool to have all these characters together and plenty of interactions between them.

Probably the only missed opportunity was Tobey Parker and Green Goblin with no actual talk between them, but there wasn't really a good place for that. Other than that, everyone had a good scene of both talking and fighting.

That said, I really disliked the ending. While it was a lot better in practice and had this optimistic take on the whole situation than when just checking it on wiki as I did in December, it's still just a massive hit to Peter Parker's life.

And it does make me realize the bigger problem I have recently with Spider-Man in all media. He just can't have a break these days. It's like every time something good happens, the writers feel then need to have twice as many bad things. I find it really tiresome.

9. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

It looks like the Netflix Marvel shows have migrated over to Disney+. Not sure what this means for them in the future. It was a bit of a shock to log in to Disney+ and have to do a second login so I could access TV-MA content, though.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I fully agree with everything you said (in particular the missed opportunity between Raimi Spiderman/Goblin). - Apart from disliking the ending.

I actually quite like the ending, I want to see this version of Spider man grow up a bit. I think him being forced to stand completely independent in the next film is exactly what I want to watch.

It even fits with the overall themes of his (fictional) age group, growing up & going to college, etc.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No Way Home reframes these first three spiderman films as more of an Origin Story for Peter. And I think it really works to be honest.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And how many superheroes get to be origin'd with two other versions of yourself to compare and teach you Important Life Lessons.

13. Celestin

I'm not against him being more independent, but there is a difference between that and not having a single person in the world aware who he is outside of the mask and killing what was left of his family. If he doesn't want his old friends again in his life then by all accounts he shouldn't want anyone new for the same reason. This means the next movie should be all about Peter spending more and more time as Spider-Man with no breaks. I disliked it when they went in that directions in 90-ties in comics and I will dislike if it's the plan for the next film.

That said, like you mentioned, the plan is probably for possible new group of friends in a new place who won't be aware he's Spider-Man as part of change, but then I find it inconsistent with his decision to not try becoming friends with MJ and Ned without telling them he's Spider-Man.

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Sure, I can agree with that. It all depends on how they approach the next film, really.

Speaking of the overall narrative, in my opinion the best thing going forward for the story is a break from the previous 3 films, in some way or another.

As this was the youngest spiderman we've had in the films - at least appearance wise- I think this film wraps up that era of high school Spiderman and at least puts the idea out that we're going to see something different in the next one.

I'm not exactly sure what that entails - I can agree that I also don't want to watch the same trope of Spiderman overworking himself & crashing and burning etc, yet again. But I've liked pretty much everything they've done so far in this iteration so I'm willing to be generous in my expectations.

I'm not sure that he'll succeed in a break from MJ and Ned. If anything, I'm guessing this is a mechanism for them to receive a bit less screentime for a while and maybe for Peter to grow up a bit, but MJ even tells him(and us) that she'll figure it out if he doesn't tell her.

They *seemed* normal at the end of the film, but I'm certain that they will notice something is wrong before long.There's no way
    that such enormous chunks of their memory are edited out with no repercussions. I'll be quite disappointed if that's the case anyway.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Moonknight is pretty good so far. They need to tone down the exposition hard, but yeah, solidly entertaining.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Portman got ripped.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally time for that HP/Padme fanfic everyone's been teasing for 20 years?

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks phenomenal. Looking forward to this one.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I am genuinely surprised no one is talking about Moon Knight here.

Lol, is it really that bad?

Well I am enjoying it.

A lot of things are happening in the series that really makes it seem outside the MCU.

For example, the existence of actual Egyptan gods is weird and I feel like it messes with the MCU lore.

are the eternals aware of these gods? where have these gods and their avatars been during all the avengers movies?

BTW, are normal asgardians pretty much similar to humans? or are they like super "people" compared to humans on earth?
    Is Thor only super because he is Odin's and Freya's son?

Where does he get the thunder abilities from? according to the MCU?

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am watching Moon Knight and enjoying it. I agree it feels very non-MCU, however. More in tone than content - going very hard on unreliable narrator, psychological stuff etc.

I agree that on a certain level, the Moon Knight worldbuilding feels inconsistent with the wider MCU lore. However, I also think that this phase of the MCU is all about that. Each phase of the MCU becomes more comic-like and increasingly drops the grounded nature of the cinematic universe which first brought comic franchises into the mainstream. And one of the notable features of the Marvel comic universe is that it's a complete mess, a feature they seem to be leaning on hard this phase of the MCU.