1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (New Joss Whedon TV Show)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rubicon, Apr 8, 2013.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You read my post way too literally, man. When I say the characters are radically changed from the original concept, I wasn't talking about their plot lines changing, I was talking about their actual character traits.

And I still totally disagree about Daisy. Sure she's still central to the plot, but throughout most of season 2, it seemed like the focus on her emotional development had been pushed into the background and the ensemble's had been pushed to the forefront, which is making it feel more West Wing than Walking Dead.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Calling it now:

Simmons will be a Skrull.

3. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I am pretty sure Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Skrull

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, pretty sure the Skrull are tied up with the FF. That said, I don't think we've seen the last of that world, or that everything that happened is above board. It was just resolved too quickly and easily for that.

5. prism123

prism123 Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've seen it stated that Marvel has partial rights to the Skrull, so while they can't use the Super Skrull they could use them in some fashion. However if the exact rights are unclear as to who owns them they might just avoid using them even if they possibly could to avoid having to deal with figuring out the legality. Either way I don't think she's a Skrull because of her last seen with Fitz. No one was watching so if she was a Skrull I don't think she would have responded like that.

On a similar note, the last scene on the planet was an intense couple minutes of emotionally draining television. Very well executed. It has been great watching this show just get better and better each year.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And here, I was yelling, "Just get up and walk rather than lying there stretching for his hand!" Seriously, it's the only part that really kind of drove me up a wall.

7. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

You're aware that they were like in the equivalent of a fierce sand storm right, with Fitz rope being tugged on from above?

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes, but Fitz wasn't the one I was talking about. You've been stuck in a foreign world for weeks. Now, the guy you not-so-secretly love has come for you. Moreover, you've proven your mettle more than once, so you're not a weak-willed person. I just can't believe she couldn't, at the very least, bring up her legs, gain purchase, and lunge. It's not like she was having to stop herself from falling backwards.

Because of that, the entire scene felt way overdramatized. But I have to give them credit . . . not dragging out the search was a sigh of relief. I also think Fitz's recovery was well done and lasted just about the right amount of time.

9. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Anyone else enjoy the Ward scene where hes kicking ass in a casual way, the guy makes him bleed a bit and he goes full psycho.

10. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Just binge watched the entire show, I've got to say, I'm glad I stuck with it. Season One for the most part was below average television, a buy-the-numbers property adaptation that did it's job, but was at the same time very mediocre.

On average though, the quality has been trending upward, I do wish that they cut some of the filler though. Season two worked well, Fitz getting some well needed development, Skye still being the focus but less so even though the entire plot converged around her and inhumans. And some strong additions to the cast, Hunter being my favourite.

Season Three has started well, hoping the average up shift in quality continues. Ward uniting Hydra could be great if done well.

I do think Agent Carter has been consistently the better show though, hopefully season three changes that.

11. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Uh, 3 seasons of SHIELD, versus not even 10 episodes of Agent Carter is hardly a good comparison for this.

12. Tsar

Then compare any individual season, or just average out the quality.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Short season television shows do tend to have higher quality. They get more time to write and produce each episode.

Usually why BBC Sherlock is so good. They get so much time to work on just three episodes every year.

If Agents of Shield had all their plot movements and devices condensed into only 10 episodes, it would probably be pretty badass too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  14. Tsar

S3E3 was pretty good, I'm happy with season thus far.

15. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I like how Coulson was the only one who realized about them having a picture of Skye, shows his experience/skill compared to the rest imo.

Edit: Skye is just plain annoying me this season.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  16. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Fitz and Simmons are still the best characters here, and watching them bounce from trauma to trauma has been fun in a sadistic sort of way. And now at least we know why she didn't stand up during the rescue; higher gravity on the other planet.

Coulson is impressing me more and more as a father-figure; he's willing to do pretty much anything to protect his people - especially Daisy - even if that means hurting himself or doing something he absolutely hates, like losing his arm or working with bitch-face.

Bobbi and Mack have been criminally under-used so far, but some steps were taken to rectify that this week, so it's all good.

Hunter continues his grand tradition of punching and joking his way into our hearts, while May silently kicks in the same direction. Putting those two together for a black op seems like such a no-brainer I'm surprised it took so long.

I also like that Lincoln has been so reluctant to come on-board; he could have joined up in episode one, but doesn't want to have anything to do with anything, and after what he went through, it makes sense.

I'm liking the emotional touches so far this year; the flip-flop with Fitz and Jemma over a year ago genuinely tugs at the heartstrings. Mack not trusting anyone or anything mostly makes him the Only Sane Man in the room. Coulson being protective, May admitting that her ex left her, Skye admitting she likes shocking guys, Bobbi dealing with her injury, Ward... being evil. Everyone has some meat in their story right now, and it makes the whole show oddly satisfying to watch.

17. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

So bad.

All that ptsd stuff was for a boyfriend in space?

18. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Well. It looks like this show is getting a new pilot/grizzled badass. Because this show was lacking in those. :colbert:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Eh, I kind of get how Jemma's been reacting - it's not PTSD, or at least not entirely, it's also survivor's guilt. It's reasonable, really, given how horrible the planet's been shown to be and the fact that he's been there alone for 14 years, even if he was a complete stranger she wouldn't want to just leave him there. This better not get in the way of FitzSimmons, though.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think he'll probably turn out to be evil somehow.