1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Andro I'm not sure how well liked the plot for Mass Effect 2 was. My own views on it mirror this guy's article pretty closely. The problem is that compared to other choices for this console gen its still better than the majority despite not living up to ME1's standards.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It definitely wasn't hated, but the most common complaint I've heard about Mass Effect 2 was the story. It was and is an incredibly common complaint. I read several posts above yours, and what did I see?

And Midknight is not the only one. Not even close. It's a common complaint, and a fair one. I highly enjoyed the Mass Effect 2 story, almost as much as the first(If not more), but I have many friends who didn't. To be honest, it feels as if I'm in the minority. I do discuss this game on other forums and in other groups of people.

If you have issues with the game itself, that's perfectly acceptable. Not everyone enjoys the same things. Even if I hold the opposite opinion of how an in-game issue was handled, I can respect the difference of opinion, so long as it relates to the actual game.

But note that it's incredibly difficult to take people seriously that state that they refuse to buy it for reasons as trivial as the color of the packaging it's sent in.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That's just bullshit o_O Yep, I'll rent this from Gamefly, play it, beat it, send it back. Or I'll eventually buy it from them using a 10% discount and a 5$ coupon when it falls to 20$. Or I'll download a save game modifier for ME3, import/make all my choices from ME1 and ME2 that I have on my 360, and pirate play it on PC.

I hope draconian's right. It's bad enough that the "choices" they keep talking about apparently boil down to whether you have Grunt or a random krogan with similar dialogue, or Moridin or a stand in salarian with similar dialogue, etc. Hell I don't really care about the choices that much now that I think about it, I just don't feel like spending an hour remaking myself using the character creator again, lmao!

And the revelation that Prothean's are now Collector's, I'd totally forgotten about, showing you how memorable that was from ME2.

4. Midknight

They're not hating on it for that though. They're showing concern and anger towards a franchise they love, because it's turning into primarily a FPS, but a bad one, since it still has to pretend it wants to be a RPG even when they keep stripping the story down to as streamlined as they can.

They're hating because a crucial item, like a prothean, is going to be day one DLC. As said above, either it's going to be absolutely pointless, cosmetic filler, since you can't add something like that for just a small group, or it's going to be something important enough that it's bullshit it wasn't in the game already.

It's not fair to say they're bitching because of the color of the packaging, it's not even in the same sphere.

Edit: And the more I'm reading the plot summary of ME2 again, the less giant parts of it make sense to me. I still don't understand why the hell they had him work with Cerberus. I forget who linked it, but this review makes a lot of sense to me http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Iztiak

Then they shouldn't have bothered buying ME2, because the exact same thing happened.

By packaging, I was primarily referring to the Origin people. If Origin and ME3 work the same way ME2 did, you never have to start up Origin again after you install the game. Ever. Not buying the game because of it seems ridiculous, at least in my opinion. I installed ME2 and honestly forgot I had Origin on my computer at all.

Hell, I wish Steam operated like that sometimes. Steam seems to be more of a pain than Origin in a few ways, and yet I never seem to see people refusing to buy games on the principal that you have to use Steam to access them.

But yes, I agree, not liking the way the DLC companions were handled is a fair enough complaint, I should have been clearer of who I was referring to. But I still find it baffling that you'd get this far into the series and quit because of it. Because they pulled a similar stunt with Zaeed Massani. He was a was a day one DLC companion, and he turned out to be largely irrelevant.

It's slightly more frustrating than that, sure, since if you didn't get the special edition you have to pay 5$. But if you bought the game used or on the xbox, or you rented it, you had to pay 15$ to access Zaeed, or any of the other day 1 DLC packs.

Edit:
    I mean hell, I just want the game to not suck. I could care less that the horrible nuisance of a DLC companion this time around is more interesting than the previous one.

Because that seems to be the operative difference this time around, Zaeed was boring, the concept of a prothean companion isn't.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

The only way I can tell EA that what they're doing is bullshit is to not give them my money. It's exactly the same as not buying any Ubisoft games because you don't like their ridiculous DRM.

I could write a nice long post detailing why Origin is an entirely relevant reason to not buy Mass Effect 3, but that would just be masturbating to my own ridiculous self-righteous indignation.

7. Midknight

Everyone I know refused to install anything with Steam back in the day. Then Gabe turned that sumbitch into an awesome store service with DRM being a minor annoyance for how awesome the rest of the service is.

He was a bonus for buying new, true, but he was totally pointless, and did nothing. I don't mind him that much since he was indeed irrelevant. He's not a Prothean. That's insane. Unless they make the Prothean totally useless, or a quick 15 minute side mission, then there's no way in hell this move is right. Edit:: Which would totally make even including the character pointless unless he's a giant part of the game as an NPC you could recruit for say playthrough 2.

Special edition is 20 bucks more, or you can buy him for 10$ more DLC, not 5$. And 15$ for around 15 minutes for Zaeed was insane. Hell for that matter, 80$ for for a fucking DIGITAL edition is goddamned balls out insane. Digital is no box, no shipping, no roof and mortor ship to pay for, no Walmart/Best buy taking a slice of the pie. Digital collectors should be 40-50 bucks.

Amen to that, same here. I found a save file that matches my choices from ME1. I'm downloading an acquired ME2 now to replay the whole thing again, so I can play ME3 on the pc. If it's worth it, I'll buy it, if not, fuck it at least I get to watch the cutscenes.

Fuck me I wish I'd have known that. That honestly makes me worry. Battlefield 3 is fucking awesome on a stick if you like that style of games, and goddamned Mass Effect, regardless of it's issues, is goddamned.Mass.Effect. How little faith is EA having in the game to give out Bf3 for preorders??????

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

He wasn't totally useless. He gave you Inferno Grenades as a bonus power, which were awesome and there was the upgrade for either the AR or Heavy Weapon. All in all probably not worth paying for seperately, but worth buying new considering the other stuff you also got in the deal. As for the Prothean someone else mentioned that it's apparently in the game no matter what, just with the DLC you get it as a squadmate (probably for limited time after listening to the dialogue that's online). I'll wait until I actually know what's involved to say whether the individual price of the DLC is fair. Frankly a lot of DLC is massive overpriced, but I think that problem will work itself out over time as companies get better infrastructure for the production of DLC and it basically mimics Free-to-Play MMO Micro-transactions in terms fo relative cost. Hopefully.

Agreed on the retarded pricing for the Digital Edition of the CE; makes em glad I preordered through Walmart.

Wait, I'm confused. So there was an offer to get BF3 if you preordered ME3 (in general or just the CE?) and they're stopping it? To me that wouldn't signal a lack of faith but rather that they had found it was unnecessary and perhaps losing them some BF3 sales.

9. Iztiak

Ah, 10$, my mistake. But most of their day one DLC is pointless. It was before, and honestly, the vague hope that I have that the prothean will break the cycle outweighs the cost, for me at least.

Although since they never put much effort into their day one DLC, he might indeed end up as a 15 minute side quest. In which case he will be as pointless as Zaeed.

But yes, the rest of it is exactly my point. Zaeed was definitely not even on the same plane as a prothean. The prothean seems so much more interesting, just hearing about the general idea.

So either A: Finally, some badass DLC, with a minor cost increase from the shitty DLC.

Or B: More useless DLC, which you can ignore.

They gave ME2 away with DA2, though that was a year later. It doesn't bode well, not at all, but they have made a habit of similar offers.

It still makes me worry a lot more than I was previously though, fuck. Thanks a lot, Middy. ;_;

10. Iztiak

Fucking internet went out, that somehow resulted in posting the same thing twice.

11. Midknight

Nada, they did that bundle after the first few WEEKS of DA2 launching iirc, after players got ahold of Da2 and the bad worth of mouth started. April was Free ME2, DA2 launched mid March. The sales plummeted hard as hell and they tried to help save face.

Any copy of ME3 got you BF3. They blew through the BF3 copies in under 2 weeks, and it started costing them their ass supposedly. Realistically, people grabbed it because, hey, free expensive game. It's not highly likely those folks would've paid 50-60$ for BF3, it just became a too good to pass on perk. Bothers me though that they think hey "If you love Mass Effect, you'll LOVE Battlefield!"

Edit: Found it. Sales Chart of DA2 compared to DA1, even the bundle didn't save it, starting at week 3.
    [​IMG]

12. tysdfasd

tysdfasd Raptured to Hell

don't appreciate howSac Lancel none of the guns sound like fucking GUNS anymore either. They sound like laser-tag guns or something, going "pew pew" not "BLAM BLAM."

13. Midknight

14. LittleBlackGoldfish

To be perfectly honest, I was never all that suprised that DA2 turned out to be terrible. DA:O was already a fairly lackluster game with a cool setting, I had fun playing it but there was little to no replayability for me. DA2 always seemed to me to be Biowares' attempt to make an Elder Scrolls kind of game and I only barely trust Bethesda to do that.

15. Midknight

DA:O fell flat in some areas, especially the entire way too drawn out dwarven area, but the lore was epic, and the game was a top tier, PC, RPG in enough other aspects that you can easily overlook it's faults. DA2 was a race for money. They had close to 400,000 preorders for fuck's sake, you can see that in the huge week 1 sales. They said nonstop, the demo isn't indicative of the final game by a long shot! =/

16. Iztiak

I meant that a year(and three months or so) after the MASS EFFECT release, they gave it away with DA2's release.

Not even close to the same situation as what they're doing now, closer to the opposite, but I need to give myself some flimsy justification for hope, here. ;P

17. Midknight

Ah I got ya, thought you meant DA2's release. Still, for a triple A title, even a year is a hell of a short time to just start giving it away.

18. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

So the reaction to the Day 1 DLC has Bioware/EA scrambling to justify it. They're saying this was made between the game being complete and release date, etc. Believe this or not, I'm still not too happy with Bioware.

Link to Escapist article.

19. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Uhh... OK. Except weren't lines for a Prothean companion found in that beta build that accidentally went up on Xbox Live?

20. LittleBlackGoldfish

I don't think so. The DLC showed up on XBox Live somewhere, but it was just like a summary. Lines for the companion, as far as I know are coming from people accessing data buried in the Demo.