1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lyrium, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lord Raine is just a negative nancy.

The sooner you accept him for who he is, the sooner people can stop trying to argue with him. :)

2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Or just ignore the posts where he rails on-and-on about how much he didn't like some games. It's the same vitriol he spews each time, and most times it's the same games. If a dev or company hypes up a game, take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'll get hyped for some games, but remind myself to wait for it to release and see some reviews on it before I get it.

For this I'll probably buy it when it first comes out. Unlike probably the vast majority of people I really enjoyed the Mass Effect series. Watching my Shepherd kick ass over three full games was awesome. There were disappointments along the way and the ending wasn't the best, but I loved it and still love it.

So they got my support for the next round of games.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, same here, really. The reason I was so disappointed with ME3's problems is because of how obsessed with the series I was.

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed again, but I can't stop myself. I'm probably going to crawl back to Bioware and buy ME4 on day one, like I'm stuck in an abusive relationship.

At any rate, I think a first contact war scenario would be interesting, if not terribly likely. From what I remember it wasn't big enough of an incident to drag out over an entire game. Especially since we already know the basics of how it works out.

Also, not really any opportunity for a diverse crew to form. Considering that's pretty much the main characteristic of ME games, I really don't think the first contact war is going to be the topic of ME4, unless they retcon quite a bit.

The Rachni war seems a bit more likely, but both the Rachni war and the First contact war share the problem that we already know what ends up happening. Not really much of a chance to make meaningful choices, unless the player character is doing something that we never heard about in the ME series.

I'm also not sure that Bioware would do a game without humans. So that could rule out pretty much any setting far in the past, like a sort of Mass effect/KOTOR. I could be completely wrong about all of this though.

Any of you have any other ideas?

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cleaning up the galaxy after Shepard, perhaps? Import your ME3 save and deal with the consequences of your actions?

Probably not, though. Too close to a direct sequel and despite the similarity of the three endings, plotting a game out for each of their after effects would be too much to expect.

5. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I could see a human being abducted from earth and being used as the protagonist maybe; if they do a story set in the past. I can't imagine it turning out very good, tho.

Or some time-travel debacle could have you in the past, or sent to the future.

It's really hard to even guess where they would take the story, or even try to equal the scope of the first trilogy.

What would be cool to see is having a team sent to another galaxy to explore life there. Would set-up a whole new environment for them to play with, considering most of the current races' issues have been explored. Would also allow some of the current races, maybe it's a citadel sponsored flight, to still be in the game.

6. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

This used to be a problem, but it was solved some time in the mid 90s when every single developer on Earth decided that World War II would make for a pretty cool FPS.

7. TSN

TSN Auror

Ww2 has the best fps.

8. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hey! Be nice! You can rail all you want but don't DARE talk down about Timmy's dream.

It's an awesome dream....

9. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the occasional zombie and demon invasion.

10. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm pretty disappointed that they're sticking to the franchise.

We had our trilogy. It was finished. Why can't they create a new IP?
    (I know the answer already, it's money.)

The original Mass Effect was such a breath of fresh air. They didn't create yet another Star Wars. It felt like an action oriented Star Trek. They had interesting races that weren't all just humans with green skin. (Except of course the Asari, because you need hot alien babes that the player can fuck, otherwise it wouldn't sell so well.)
    Although the plot collapsed in ME2 and ME3, the great characters made it still worth it.

If the reviews are positive, I'll still play it, but I'm not expecting much. Just disappointed that they're afraid of creating something completely new.

11. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I don't really get the vitriol anymore. I never really did, but when I was younger I would at least jump on the hypetrain and rabble rabble this game sucks.

Now my thought process functions something like, "Wow ME3 sucks? Oh well, it's 60 bucks: fuggit." Then I play through it and get to the end and I think "Wow that really did suck" before moving on with my life because I paid 60 dollars for a game that I got a lot of fun and playtime out of, even if it wasn't perfect.

I lack the time and energy to get super hyped up or super let down by any games. Am I suddenly at an age where I'm leaving the target audience for these games? Or am I just entering it?

I hope this doesn't sound callous/rude/privileged of me, but if you're so upset over losing X amount of time/money to a game you didn't fully enjoy, you probably shouldn't be spending that time/money on the game in the first place.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I really don't think most of the rants have much to do with the money spent but rather just being passionate about games and mentioning buying games when complaining is just a way to remind everyone that you're a stakeholder and therefore have a right to complain.

13. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

That makes sense, but I'd still say if you get that you should avoid becoming that passionate about games if you end up raging over every single thing that gets announced.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Hey if that's his passion, who are we to tell him otherwise?

At least someone's out there saying we have a right to expect better games.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, I have to say it. Isn't Lord Raine a chick?

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Either way you're all bitches.

17. Innomine

High Score:
    Have you read the posts?

Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

18. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Does it really matter what gender he or she or they are? Lord Raine is Lord Raine. While Raine's perspective sometimes weighs down heavy on the soul, it's always interesting to read which cannot be said of everyone.

It would be epic to be in a ME game where the Krogans were both a threat to the entire known universe and the only hope to defeat the Rachni. They probably can or will retrofit humans into it somehow.

The other option is to go far in the future and that way Shepard can be the legend from a thousand years back. It makes it possible for new races too.

I wish they started a new sci fi series, something with a different flavor. There just aren't enough good RPGs out.

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

On topic: I'm hopeful about this. Mass Effect is unusual in the sense that the second part of the trilogy was the best one. And, despite the disappointing end, I did enjoy ME3. Hopefully, a new installment will have learned from their successes and failures.

What I'm hoping for is a story where man-kind is just reaching back into space after the destruction of the Relay system. Maybe let you decide how you did things in 3.

20. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

I like how you spontaneously made this thread about me. Clearly I'm more important than the next Mass Effect game.

Gotta set that bar low after what happened last time.