1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Deftex, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    I see. Seems like a stupid thing to get triggered over but w/e. I was literally just like "Oh, she's trans, neat." And moved on to the next mission. (Not that I'd know anything about how people feel about "coming out".)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

It wasn't offensive per se, but it's pretty dumb that a character who's otherwise a blank slate questgiver just up and effective screams "I'm transgender!" basically out of the blue.

It's just not how real people act. Dumb, not offensive imo.

3. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

I think part of the offense comes from her 'deadnaming' herself, or using her pre-transition name. I've read this is something a lot of trans people wouldn't do, especially not to someone they just met.

It's like the Baldur's Gate thing again, with the first thing out of the characters mouth being basically "I'm trans, whoever wrote this is so stunning and brave!"

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Anyone have a good recommendation for a fun third weapon to carry around?

I'm (guessing) 60% through the game and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to beat it no problem with my Isharay/Dhan combo. I'm carrying around a P.A.W. with plasma seeking missiles for a "fun" weapon but I was expecting the missiles to be a bit more... missile-y? They're kinda dinky.

I have a ton of research points to dump into something I'm just not sure what.

5. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Equalizer SMG + Electrical Conduits is really fun. With clip size mods, I've never actually ever "ran out of ammo" to prompt the overheating but you can tack on bio converter augment as needed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

So I'm getting pretty consistent with my multiplayer silver runs. I have an apex of about 3k, spent about 700k mp points on basic packs to get my guns maxed out. Most of my common characters are rank X or getting close. I have most of my guns ranked up. My uncommons are getting to around V (except asari adept which I wanted most of all, but didn't get until all of my other uncommons were at V.

What point do I start doing Gold runs? I'm pretty consistently outscoring people in my silver runs, but I feel like it's cheating with the human adept (lvl 15) that gets like double points for assists with singularity and pulls. How difficult is gold compared to silver?

I feel like it can't be that challenging, but at the same time I don't want to go into one and be a burden on others. It makes me feel like a dick.

Anyone want to group up sometime and do some silver or possibly gold mp runs?

7. The Iron Rose

Sure thing, join the dlp discord and bug me sometime.

Anyways I usually start doing golds at like 10 for vanguards, 10-15 for everyone else.

8. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Wait, you do golds at 10? I've been doing Bronze's with a level 9 character up until now. Should I be moving up?

9. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I only don't hop into silvers at level 1 because it makes others uncomfortable. Of course it really depends on your character class and your items. But now that I have level X charger and most of my characters are starting out with 20+ points, it's a different story from a level 1, rank 1 weapons, no armor, 5 skill points total character.

But even then, hopping in with a charger and disruptor ammo can let you hold your own in silvers with safe play and blind shooting over cover at mobs. I can outscore most people in bronze with my level 1 characters atm.

Big thing is don't be afraid to use your powerups. I am getting them faster than I can use them, save for xp bonuses but that's because I'm slapping them on every game.

I will say that multiplayer is just fun. And I really enjoy hopping around on different characters.
    I opened up a Krogan Gladiator but I really don't enjoy any of the Krogan animations. I really dislike Krogan vanguard and the headbutting animation just feels unwieldy.

The aoe on the gladiator's melee is super nice, but still just feels off. Probably the rubberbanding involved.

edit: Also, the human kineticist throwing mobs off map seems super fun.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  10. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Honestly if you hop into a silver match at level 1, most people will either vote to kick or back out. That said - it seems to me that if your apex rating is over 2000 people will trust in your ability to not drag the team down.

Just got my Asari adept to lvl 19, and I've been working on my Salarian Architect.

11. The Iron Rose

Human vanguards can make it work at 10 since they're going to be charging, meleeing, and basically nothing else. And while survivability goes way up withpassives , you can easily ignore Nova (use it for the iframes) and shockwave (use to detonate combos) while focusing on building up charge and your passives.
    Accordingly, human vanguard is great for new players to do higher ranked matches in, because they're not dependent on either weapons or levels nearly to the same degree.

You do really want the juggernaut shield equipment on sale though, it buffs melee attacks by an astonishing 75%, with a 10% shield buff to boot.

12. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Why do people play kett?

And why can fiends stealth grab me from 30 yards?

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, I had some problems yesterday. Not sure what the issue is. Firstly, I've had a problem a few times where enemies wouldn't load in an area. Happened a bunch on Eos, where half the bases in the west would be unmanned. A few of them were for quests, but most are just random outposts. Eitherway, sometimes they wouldn't load, like with the mission that has you meat a guy from some exile encampment that leads up to your first architect fight, it didn't load for me, so I had to reload the area and then he appeared.

Anyways, flash forward to today. I'm on Eladaan. Made it to the giant ship, and cleared to the point where I have to retrieve a power core. Used the remnant console to open up the door leading to it... only for the door to not open. It's at the point that I realize my companions are nowhere to be found. I hoof it back to the car, hop in and out, they still don't appear. I figure the game isn't loading things. I wait patiently for awhile, but nothing happens, and I'm not going to wait for an hour. So, I exit to menu, but it won't do it. It just stays on the loading screen forever. It's not frozen, as the spinny loading icon keeps spinning, but it doesn't advance. I waited a long time for it to do something, but it doesn't. I have to force close out.

So, open the came back up. It gets to the splash screen, but when I hit the button to continue to pull up the menu, it just loads the menu forever. Great. I waited a while for that to see if something would happen, but it doesn't. At this point, I've stared at loading screens for an hour (and this is on xbox 1).

Tried reloading a few times and same thing. But goddamnit, I want to play the game, so I uninstall, and reinstall. That takes forever, but I get it done. But now, when I go to load the game itself, it just gets stuck on the preparing to launch screen, so the game won't launch.

At this point, I'm not sure what's going on. I don't know if it's the game, or maybe the server, but it's weird that the game wouldn't even launch after an install. It's like it's getting hung up on something.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Had a fun little glitch today, in a firefight on Elaaden with Cora and Liam. I got a little overwhelmed and died, but then before the resume screen kicked in, I was suddenly back at full health and shields - I assume to do with Cora's level 6 regeneration. Nice little bonus...if I'd been able to move. I kept getting shot, so I figured fine, wait till I'm killed again and see if I can reload then...but Cora kept healing me. Eventually restarted the console.

15. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just finished the game, the last fight was a little underwhelming but I finished at 97% completion with a few task remaining.

16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Finished the main plot, and all the personal assignments - a few of the more 'filler' side quests still outstanding, but eh. Really enjoyed the final mission. Miles ahead of the dreary slog that you get at the end of ME3, and for my money at the moment I'd say more enjoyable than the suicide mission of ME2 (my personal favourite of the original trilogy finales is the last couple of missions of ME1...not sure this tops it yet, but it's close).

Overall, really enjoyable game. It isn't without its flaws, especially on the technical side, but all in all I had an absolute blast, and I'm already thinking about my next Ryder.

Thoughts on a sequel? I'm actually not sure whether they've said this is going to be a new trilogy (or whatever), but there's some pretty obvious sequel hooks.

17. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Iirc, it's been said that there aren't any sequels guaranteed, but there could be, and if not, there could also be other Mass Effect games set in the Andromeda galaxy.

Personally I think there will be a sequel as despite a few hiccups ME:A was pretty successful, but even if we don't get the chance to play as Ryder for another game or too, anything set in the ME universe will make me happy. (Though I REALLY like Ryder's story so far and damn does it need another adventure.)

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Based on what I've read, it's more likely we get large expansion packs first. Near the end we see comments about other species and arks. So that will prolly be DLC.

If Mass Effect is the space opera similar to star wars...Andromeda is like Star Trek. I felt like Captain Kirk in this game.

That said, I didn't like how much of that personality was forced on you, regardless of the choices you made.

But never been a fan of premade protagonists. Give me Baldur's Gate damnit!

19. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Man fuck the Elaaden vault right in its stupid face.

I didn't sign up to play 20 minutes of space Sudoku, thanks.

It might have been worth it if it kind of, I don't know, unlocked something actually interesting. Even no actual items, but something cool and new with the whole Remanent mystery. But no, just like, a bunch of research and items that I don't need.

There seems to be a pretty steep dropoff in terms of anything useful to skill up / craft / research after level 30-35 or so. It feels like there's no point in going out of my way to grab boxes or scan for research or mine anything.

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Newcomb - yeah, I spent about twenty minutes on that box, and I'm sure my solution was correct, but it wouldn't have it. Eventually I looked at the strategy guide I got with my copy of the game...and none of the solutions they presented resembled the game content. Thanks for persevering and confirming it wasn't worth it though...

Re: sequels - yeah, I'm sure some of the hanging threads will be DLC, but I really want another cracking at the kett, properly this time. They might not be quite as monstrous as the reapers, but I think I hate the kett more.

Speculation and spoilers:

Your mum's illness seems like more of an ongoing thread than something that could be satisfactorily wrapped up in a DLC. The quarian ark though seems like prime content, perhaps after any sequel has been announced to maintain hype? Also maybe something about setting up communication back to the Milky Way. It's one of the Initiative's stated aims, after all, and with the logs you can unlock...

In terms of an actual sequel, I'm hoping to see a bit more on the kett factions, if there are any more now that the Archon and his obsession is dead. Also a bit more on and from the angara - given that it's set in a whole new galaxy, you do spend an awful lot of the game dealing with the same old species.