1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Deftex, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Same I am buying day one as well. I kinda disliked ME3 for the poor storyline and the ending.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I found the ending to ME3 a lot better once I'd played the Leviathan DLC, although it's still a little unsatisfying - these days, I find it more frustrating than anything else, because if they'd introduced certain elements earlier in the series, it would have been so much better. Hopefully they'll have learned from that for the ME:A games.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah I recently replayed the game after not touching it for nearly two years and it was a surprisingly entertaining experience as long as I didn't think to deeply about it (and I swear if they had included the Citadel DLC in the main-game I would have had far less issues with it).

That said what I have heard about what they intend to do with game (for example going away from a save the world plot and taking inspiration from the Witcher in regards of their world-building) has made me slightly optimistic and while I will likely wait for the initial reviews to come out I can now see myself playing this game.

4. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I decided to try ME3 again to refresh my memory before andromeda.

But when I load up the game, can't use it because origin. I try logging in with 2 different emails, neither has me3 registered. One account has ME2 registered which I got through steam while the other has SWTOR which I bought through the bioware website. And of course none of the emails I use have the purchase confirmation. I open up a support ticket and I can see my 2014 ticket where I had included my bank purchase records of where I had paid for my shit. I remember then that they had responded saying check my other emails and at that point I found the email associated with the account.

I really don't have any clue what that email is. It's not something I've used in the last 5 years, because it took a lot of jogging to remember it 3 years ago.

After a few hours of trying to get help to get access to the game I've already fucking paid for, I remembered that the internet has all solutions, so I downloaded another game for free in like 3 hours and installed it in 2. And it comes with the DLC.

Because fuck me for paying for my games and trying to purchase DLC to play it again right?

FUCK origin though really.

5. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Unfortunately I don't trust Bioware anymore.
    Just looking at the animation of their released trailer makes me cringe.

[​IMG]

Why would bodyguards stay behind and not shoot. Turians are battle oriented, why would he come close and finally what kind of gun blocking is that? She just takes it out of his hands slowly. Also there's seriously something wrong with her face.

6. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I agree completely, terrible cutscene.

But the majority of the game is a 3rd person fps/rpg which I'm happy to play.

7. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not quite sure you understand what FPS stands for :).

The game is apparently set between the second and thrid mass effects so I hope there are at least a few references to it.

Unfortunately, I've still got a lowly Xbox 360 so I'm hoping my computer has good enough specs to run it.

8. Shinysavage

High Score:
    The Andromeda Initiative leaves the Milky Way in 2185, which is the year ME2 takes place. So there might be references to ME1, and depending on when precisely they left the events of ME2, but ME3 would be odd.

EDIT: Has anyone given any thought to the multiplayer mode? I never played it in ME3, but now I'm in a situation where I can actually get my console online to do so, and I'm wondering whether to bother.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shinysavage

If you were on PC you could use console commands to unlock the full manifest, but on console you'd have to start from scratch and ME3MP is very much a game of time investment. It's fun, but it doesn't truly shine until you've unlocked some fun guns and characters. Considering the chances of servers closing after MEA launches (given that ME3 is a 2012 game), or just gamer population drying up as people move on from the game and with a month left, you wouldn't get to really sink your teeth in. Not worth it at this point, imho. You could try anyway to get a feel for how the MP plays, seeing as its the foundation MEA is gonna build on.

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    @ScottPress: I meant the ME:A multiplayer - I think it's supposed to be similar to the ME3 multiplayer, so I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess at whether it'll be worth bothering with. Poorly phrased on my part.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    I can only give you my opinion and hearsay, but I've talked to hundreds of people over at BSN and outside it who agree (as I do) that MP was the best part of the game. I sunk hundreds of hours into it and went on another spree recently. The MP is for ME3 what Zombie mode was for CoD 5. From what I've seen, BW isn't building a new system, they're trying to fine tune the model that worked and was wildly successful, so if I were buying MEA, I'd definitely check out MP, probably even before the SP.

That is, of course if you're the multiplayer kind of gamer at all. Hell, I know people who play CoD for the SP campaign.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Am I the only person that just can't get into the ME games? I love everything I've ever read about the story, and some of the fics about it are great too, but something about the gameplay just feels like a chore to me. I fought my way through 1 and 2, but didn't want to pony up for 3 because I thought I'd never get finished with another one.

It looks cool and all, but unless the gameplay is a lot different, I'm not sure I can justify buying it.

13. Arawn

Arawn First Year

I like mass effect, i was just progressively dissapointed in the plot/events of mass effect 2 and 3.

me2 suffers from "the two towers" syndrome, IE: it exists to lead into me3, so the game feels deficient in some ways plotwise, and whoever divided the recruitment missions in 2 parts should be shot. (it is still my fav. of the 3) and there are many things wrong with mass effect 3 but i will only name 2:

one the gary stu to beat all gary stus kai leng and his unnecesarry and hamfisted inclusion in the plot (for the worse)

and two the fact that harbinger only shows up on the final 5 mins of gameplay for a quick exit stage left (WTF! i wanted an epic battle not a shitty limping tru corridors scene).

so no, i will not buy andromeda, and the only way i will play it is if someone gifts it to me, which is unlikely since i keep telling everyone the game will be crap, or if somehow i care enough about a "milking the cow of a dead/finished franchise" game to pirate it

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Kai Leng was introduced in the novels. One of the pains of multimedia IP.

15. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Yeah Kai Leng really triggered me.

Johnnyseattle With the inclusion of the jump pack, as well as the changes to certain biotic abilities/the inclusion of new ones, the game looks like it will play a lot different than the trilogy.

It's not like BW doesn't know about the mistakes they made with the trilogy, and if they want to continue the franchise, Andromeda has to be as close to perfect as possible.

16. Arawn

Arawn First Year

yes, and yet of the many oc from the novels, comics and etc, only this bastard was promoted to author self insert in the game. only to make Shepard look like an incompetent, ashley/kaidan a medically certified idiot and a lame boss battle where he died like a chump, all for a negligible impact on the plot.

his inclusion was UNNECESSARY, the artifact on thessia could have been ravaged by the invading reapers, the attack on the citadel only needed his presence to stablish his "OP plz nerf" status for thessia, and him being the boss for cerberus hq should have been replaced by the indoctrinated illusive man and leave us harbinger for a proper final boss fight.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    The press embargo was lifted today, so there's been a whole bunch of previews and new information. This seems to be a pretty exhaustive list of articles and videos, should anyone want to check them out. I haven't read all of them, because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but based on the ones I have read:

- Overall positive, with a few concerns that may be due to the fact that the press build jumped around (opening missions and then picked up around 15 hours into the game).
    - Nomad is a big improvement over the Mako, as are the planets you can drive around.
    - Combat is fun, a little fiddly in places.
    - Same is true of the jet pack.
    - Character interaction and banter is great.
    - Feels much more like an improved version of ME1.
    - Animation is a little wonky in some parts/characters. The Ryder sister was particularly highlighted. Apparently this will be fixed by release, either by patch or in the shipped version.
    - The radial wheel for character powers is gone; you can, I think, still tell your squad to attack a certain enemy, but you can't tell them to use, say, a biotic attack on them. However, apparently the AI is improved sufficiently that they'll do it anyway.

The last two points are the ones that most concern me, but overall I'm happy with what I've read.

Also, Natalie Dormer is voicing the asari doctor onboard your ship. So I know who I'm going to try and romance.

18. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I'm really hoping they don't limit PC gameplay with the 3 skills options that the gameplay trailer 2 highlighted.

I wish the class selection was slightly more fluid, I don't think I'll be a fan of "you can get any skills, but you still pick a class for bonuses"

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm getting more and more excited the closer we get. I'm not doing a full spoiler blackout, but I'm looking at less shit than I usually do pre-release.

Please hurry up and release PC specs, Bioware.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    What I'm seeing smells a lot like Mass Effect: Inquisition and that thing with reducing player impact on party tactics (trust AI, yeah to cast Warp when I need it, yeah...) sounds a lot like how DAI gutted tactics that were a big part of making DA2 gameplay so fluid (let's be honest, when DA2 was bad it was bad, but when it was good, it was good).

Like I said, I'll probably watch a LP on YT to stay on top of the lore and I think the soundtrack will be good, but I've lost confidence in BW as a game developer. If Andromeda is good, great - a win for gamers. If it's not... I won't have had my hopes dashed.