1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mastermind Hunting by Louis IX - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by RagefulLlama, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's probably the part with particle accelerator... That was fucking strange shit, but it turned out OK in the end (he doesn't stay blind and he doesn't become seer).

Sounds strange but it gets much better once he gets to Hogwarts... The story gains structure so his subplots and ideas can really flow much better...

EDIT - That Demi-God part ends with a duel in a plane. The whole things gets mentioned maybe once in the next 200k words. Just a weird subplot.

2. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

There are a lot of weird subplots in it. At the moment, I've just decided to wait until it’s finished to read it because in a chapter by chapter basis, I loose sight of all the OC characters between the updates.

Other then that, I like a lot of the ideas in the story, even if some are a bit over the top or complicated.

3. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

My favorite part happens in Harry's second year. He Legillimences away Draco Malfoy's personality and swaps it for his own fake. We get to see 'Kentaro Anderson' humiliated and picked upon by Snape, all the while knowing he's actully 'Draco Malfoy'. Talk about poetic justice... :twisted:

4. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

woOt.. new chapter!, i love this story

Raistlin Majere anyone?

5. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I'm finding it increasingly more difficault to follow the story shit just keeps happening that is so far out there it blows stained futures light-sabers out of the water...though i do like it when it can be comprehended.

6. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Like I said, I just stopped reading. Too much shit happens to be able to keep them in mind for the next update. For me, trying to keep everything straight is a lost cause, so I'll just wait until its finish and finish reading it then.

I mean, this story is so complicated, you could probably get 5 distinct stories and full plots out of it, and still have them be fairly complex. lol. Besides, theres so wierd shit that comes up that is always surprising, so its always a good read.

But I'm rambling now, and it seems that I need some sleep...

7. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I keep fading in and out of interest of the story. No doubt, it is an excellent fiction, but it gets so complicated my small mind can't comprehend it. That, and various little parts bug the hell out of me.

8. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

i just can't do it.

the story is so complicated (and i'm usually a huge fan of cerebral fics) that at every update i have to review almost the entire story just to figure out how all the loose ends are being picked up again.

i don't know, i feel like i should have diagrams and flow charts and notecards to keep up with everything this story is hitting you with.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Oh come on, it's not THAT bad. I can follow it easily.

As for the latest chapter, I didn't like how Harry revealed himself to Dumbledore. Honestly, I was expecting something more dramatic.

And that whole overpowering thing isn't done well too (Voldemort, Flammel, Merlin, Angels & Demons... What happened with Dumbledore the most powerful wizard in a century?). I guess he's enmassing forces for the final confrontation, but I never quite liked epic-level HP stories, so... meh.

I'd say the first part with spies and travelling the world and 4th-5th part with Draco/Snape manipulations at Hogwarts were the best. This latest chapters are not as good, but hey, it's only 400,000 words long! There's still time for this to move on to another good part. :)

10. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

i agree wholeheartedly.

i also agree that it isn't a bad story at all, ip, but it's just damned difficult to follow.

eh. if i read this update, i'd have to read the whole story again...

11. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I read it and ended up getting lost with all the subplots and OCs. But where I got to and what I could understand was very good.

12. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

I like the story a lot... don't ahve too much difficulty following it, although that might be because when I started reading it there was already a lot there, but the recent stuff is a bit annoying... I mean, angels are iffy terrirory for me, sure, but the way he just says 'Flamel is approximately 100 times as powerful as Harry' is a bit like 'wtf'? An Dumbledore has been completely sidelined as far as magical power goes. It just seems like it's in danger of slipping into DBZ power level territory.

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree. He overpowered Harry too much so now he's forced to keep throwing in secret societies of super powerful wizards, demons, angels, deities... Like snake-Voldemort wasn't enough.

Meh, like I said, it's still good, but I prefered the parts where things weren't so overpowered as they're now.

14. this story is ok

mastermind hunting would have to fall u nder the ok list first off it way to fucking long i cant finish one chapter in a day in fact i put about two weeks towards this and i got to like chapter 15 or something. two there is obviously two many oc's i mean i am a big fan of oc's but damn i got so confused when oc #15 came i mean i dont know if ive been reading too many stories but this story is confusing like no tommorrow especially the gods thing i considered rereading that chapter but iit was so frickin long i said forget it and went to the next chapter
    although i must admit the beginning was absolutely perfect i loved it but i think the author kind of ran out of steam his mind is exhausted i think he should take a break and bring back some of that good stuff we had in the beginning

15. Israfel

Israfel First Year

Meh, I think my favorite part of this story overall was just the original approach to Legilimency that the author took where there's some serious thought going into all the different mental landscapes and defenses, also like the 'data chunks' that he can just rip form peoples brains. Otherwise, as most others have said, loved the inital chapters (I was even ok with the Mayan gods thing) but felt it got a little bogged down when he got to Hogwarts. Also I hate when you've got a super powerful Harry and he goes and tries to teach all his friends as well, it's just so overdone and takes so much out of the story and also takes the focus off the main character as well which is not something you should generally be doing, they're called the MAIN character for a reason.

Also, as ip82 said, once you've gotten Harry THAT powerful you've gotta start making some new enemies for him lest he overwhelm all the current ones in the series, still teetering dangerously close to Harry screaming for two chapters straight powering up so his hair can turn blonde and he can go Super Potter 6.

16. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    Well I think it's great. I've had no problem following any of it, well exept for the gods part in mexico. Other then that it's very easy to follow for me.

Thank you BlackStar for helping me remeber that damn name. I do believe your right that it's Raistlin Majere. I mean it's obvious they're talking about Pern, because snape/Raistlin mentioned Takhissis.

Though I must agree that it's getting a bit too much with all these OC's. I don't understand how some ppl cannot get through a single chapter in a day. Most of the chapters only take under 2&half hours for me. Some of you ppl are just slow readers. No insult meant by that.

17. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

I started reading it but I lost interest in my opinion is a good story but this too much going on this really hard for me to follow thats why i lost interest one of these days I'll try to read again and see if I can find it more interesting but like a sand before it was too busy for my taste.

18. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

I thought this was a pretty good story actually. The chase in the middle east was utterly original and cool. The downloading info off of peoples minds is nothing new but was potrayed nicely. The length of the fic is decent. It has many promising ideas.

On the bad side is the super power harry. The problem is with these kinds of fics you have to create a super villian. And the characters usually grow more powerful with their expeirences until its so unrealistic that reading more becomes painful.

19. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Actually, I was under the impression that the author was the first to do that "downloading thing". The middle east chase was excellent, I agree. Before he gets to Hogwarts the story is aboslutely briliant, but after that it becomes "iffy". Still good, but "iffy".

20. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I like this story a lot, I especially like the snake-god Voldemort :D

One thing I really dont like is the "download" thing he does. He just downloads the knowledge from someones mind and is able to do it himself, he also gives knowledge to his friends to teach them things that would normally take years in just a few hours.