1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mean Streets

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I was over on Butcher's site and decided to check out the forums (really need a decent Dresden fix) when I saw an announcement for Mean Streets. It's apparently a book of novellas about paranormal mysteries written by Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Kat Richardson and Thomas E. Sniegoski, and will be released on January 6th, 2009.

Jim had this to say about his own contribution:

"At the moment, I'm calling it "The Warrior," and it's going to deal with the aftermath of Michael's injury and its implications for his life and Harry's--especially given that to a lot of onlookers, one of Harry's primary allies just got converted into a MAJOR liability."

Just figured I'd post this for anyone who, like me, is hardly able to wait for the April 7th, 2009 release date of Turn Coat, and wants (read: needs) something else to look forward to.

2. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Nice find. The cover art can be found here.

Looks like this will have to sate my Dresden addiction until April. Of course, I wouldn't be jonesin so bad if Watermage would just update Awaken Sleeper damn it!

3. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I had forgot I'd ordered this until it came today. Just finished reading the Dresden story, and it was fairly awesome.

Notable highlights include (spoiler tag'd just in case)

Harry acting as the buterfly of change, helping people in ways he didn't know about.

A crazy priest shooting people.

A brief apperance by Butters.

Michael actually cursing.

And Harry trying to send Uriel a bill.

Good times. Gooooood times.

4. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

I got this last Saturday and it is totally awesome. Micheal is my favorite character (after Harry of course) so for the story to have him in it is great.

Maybe it's my four-year old inner child saying this but, did anyone else think "Oooh, Micheal said a bad word" when he was talking to Father Forthill? Yeah I think it was just me. :)

Although the other stories in Mean Streets are pretty good as well. Simon R. Green laid off the drama for once. (Sometimes the drama queen thing is really irritating) I've never even heard of the last two authors but they were pretty good.

5. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I didn't hear about this! Well, at least I get to find out about Micheal before April.

Probably going to rent it from the library, seeing as I only care about Butcher's story and I'm short on cash.

How long is the segment?

6. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

It's pretty long actually. Not as long as some of the others. Especially the third one, but it's a nice length.

7. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Just finished reading this after downloading it. I was surprised by the lack of Murphy but was good nonetheless.

8. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Very nice little novella.

We get to meet one of Michael's younger daughters with more than a passing reference. Add in some Molly, Charity, depth to the whole 'being a Knight of the Cross' thing and simmer slowly.

Certainly readied the palate for Turn Coat!

9. ZeroNull

ZeroNull Squib

The Warrior

Recently read the new short story and to put it simply, I loved it. Wondering if anyone on the boards has read it yet and what your responses were to it?

10. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Here.

There's a already a discussion thread for it... That said, I liked having a villain who was entirely human for a change.

11. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Threads merged.

This was an excellent piece. I planned to use the church in my story, and now I have name for the secret order.

Michael was so bad ass in it.

I was such a good little fanboy and gasped when he cursed. Hmm, this makes me want to read it again.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Anyone else see a confrontation coming between Mab and Uriel as too who has more claim over Dresden?

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Looked to me like Mab has a raging hard-on for Uriel. Might be some urst turning into hate. Nothing volatile like unrequited love and Mab in the mix.

Besides, Mab might settled for Dresden's brother as she has mentioned once.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Thomas has appeal to Mab but I doubt she would settle for anything less than Harry. I get the feeling she knows exactly what makes him so strong and apparently special (how many wizards get soulfire and hellfire?).

But I could totally see the archangel and the Queen of the Sidhe going head to head for Dresden.