1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Feoffic, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pls send me a new PC so I can join in. I wanna dig a hole.

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

@Jon put up a wall and made the skeletons pay for it!
    [​IMG]
    (don't pay any heed to the protesters we don't!)

@Palindrome put up a really nice farm for us all
    [​IMG]

@Anarchy made his own house
    [​IMG]
    And lives with his daphnes
    [​IMG]

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Gotta be real. This pack is a bit too soulcrushing for me. >_>;.

4. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Imma agree with Jon here, while it is fun to play with you guys, it feels like its gonna take years before we get anywhere substantial

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Considering that an in game year takes just about as long as a real life year, yes.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

the mining mechanic is obnoxious. prospector's pick can give false positives, and with how long it takes to dig and mine, it kinda feels hopeless to get anything other than copper

7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Weeeaaak. It must be the seaweed and raw onion diet getting to you guys. TFC is a masterpiece.

Seems like the majority agree though. If you make a backup of the world for me, let's switch it over. To weenie hut jr's. ;)

Jon to save you some pain: Switch to the forge version you want then copy across the launcher files before it's run the first time. Jars go in a different folder.

8. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Jon

To be honest the biggest thing for me is that I don't have enough time in the day to progress meaningfully in it. ^_^;.

10. Anarchy

On one hand, I think it's good that the tech tree isn't completable in one day. But on the other, spending hours upon hours making no progress in bronze age stuff probably isn't ideal, especially when it looks like the game goes all the way up to the normal high tech stuff. The food and water thing doesn't bother me. I know the pain of playing through and completing Crash Landing, so I can deal with the tedium. It just feels like I'm spinning my wheels though with this. I get that it's different than the normal Tinker's Construct stuff where you can go into a ravine and see 20 different ores sticking out, but our area is ravine country and it's the exact opposite, as I haven't seen any ores like that at all, I don't even know what an ore block of any type looks like, other than sulfur. The only success I've had is with sluicing, but out of a half-dozen, I got 5 pieces of copper, 2 emeralds, a sapphire and a diamond, and with a gold-pan, you only get copper, gold, and platinum, but you can go a whole chunk without getting anything, and it is the definition of tedium. A copper pick burns up faster than it takes to collect the copper to make another.

Beyond that though, I think the single biggest thing that annoys me is that inability to create stairs. The best I could thing of was using individual pieces of lumber to individually create each bit of stair, but just doing that for my house which is only 20 blocks off the ground sounds like it would take hours, and that's skimping on the lumber number as well by only making the slope part and not filling it in. I have the copper for a chisel, but as far as I can tell, I don't have a way to make solid blocks to carve yet. Maybe there's something else I'm missing.

11. Alindrome

Panning isn't a long-term solution. As soon as you hit your first copper deposit underground, you'll be overwhelmed with copper. It's pretty cool - every ore node gives you vast quantities.

I do wish I could have gotten the regular TFC pack to work instead of TechNodeFirmaCraft because I think it gave everyone a false impression - TFC is a slow paced relaxing survival experience that unfolds with a bit of patience and experience but when you type into NEI and see lasers everyone gets discouraged. Haha.

Chisel has different modes, you'll need to rebind the key because it has a conflict. You can combine your rocks into cobblestone or lumber into planks and chisel them I believe.

Edit: I think I'll have to pick up this pack again solo sometime, I want to see how the progression goes from TFC to insane tech. I think there might be an option to have quest books to explain the progression?

Oh yeah, and I won't be around today, hope you guys have fun with whatever you decide on.

12. Anarchy

I believe I found the problem with mining copper... it's almost the exact same color as normal stone -

[​IMG]

It's ever so slightly different. I was digging for an hour, only noticed I found anything since I found heavy tetrahedrite in my inventory and had no memory of where it come from. Maybe a different texture pack would help

13. Jon

Is there a good texture pack?

14. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Looking through these texture packs on the Terrafirmacraft forums, I'm not exactly sure if any of these really make the ores more obvious.

I might go into Photoshop and outline the ores in pink or something on the default one if I have time, or somebody else could do it if any of you are willing to spend a bit of time drawing pink boxes around a few dozen image files during your free time.

15. Alindrome

Woah. That's some bullshit.

Problem is the rock type - there are a huge amount of different rocks and usually they contrast a lot more with the ores. Not this one though! I think we have a cursed spawn.

16. Anarchy

The spawn point is kinda hilariously bad. It's built over a gigantic ravine, which I found out the hard way. As for the ores, I spent about 45 minutes at that copper mine and pulled out about 400 bars worth of copper before my pick broke and I decided to go to bed. The prospector's pick is still saying there's a very large deposit, so I'm assuming there's still a lot more left. And I think it's doubly lucky because all the ore there is heavy ore (1 piece is worth 5 ore) as opposed to the lesser versions. I'm not sure what the colors are like for the other ores though. I did fine some coal in a ravine near the main base and it was a pinkish color visible from a distance, and there are some surface lava pits with sulfur around it, which is obvious (also which I used to kill a bear in). Next thing I need is tin for bronze, and I haven't found a single sample of that at all yet, so I have no idea what it looks like. Regardless, I don't really know much about texture packs. I've seen posts with cool shaders and even ray-tracing recently, but that's never really been a priority for me with minecraft. I think I've used a different pack-in one a couple times that made everything darker, but I've never gone out of my way to download anything special.

17. Anarchy

So, I guess this experiment lasted for like a day? Haven't seen anyone on at all since last sunday. I know there's different time zones and such, but it does feel like I've just been playing single player.

18. Jon

I've been working all week. I've jumped on bit by bit, but i'm in australia.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I googled, found r/MinecraftBuddies and got myself onto a vanilla SMP server. Have some snaps from my new base:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anarchy fw Scott goes to play minecraft on a different sever instead of with him.