1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #1 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Heh, I would like to play a game where I start from the beginning.

And yeah, I totally fucked up the Mishie lynch. I was watching Man City vs Liverpool, and completely missed Jeop's rescind.

My bad.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What really irks me is that we would have won if Kalas and Riley had voted for Mishie before Jeop rescinded. Would have been a clean victory too, with no losses on our part. We practically threw the game.

Oh well. Well played Bill, well played.

3. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

Jeop, check OBS QT and my QT to know why I was doing that, and also, yes. I was a fucking retard for this entire game.

4. AngelRick

AngelRick Guest

Well I'm flattered to have been the first night kill. Even though that doesn't mean much xD

But yeah, nice game folks.

5. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Serial killing can kill mafia too, don't forget that. He just happened to kill 2 townies this game :p

6. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I meh in your general direction. ;)

My night 2 kill was an obligatory one. My night 1 kill was against a lurker, only the wrong one.

7. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Reading the obs Qt has made me wonder just how obvious I was. Also, for those who said I scum-lurked I posted day one my work schedule so people would know the difference. Guess I should have been more obvious, lol.

8. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Sorry I couldn't get a proper day/game end post up. Thanks to Aekiel for covering for me there.

Nasty storm ripped off half my roof, and yeah, didn't have reliable internet at the time.

Thanks to everyone for playing! Hope you guys had fun, and I will be doing a Mini Mafia #2 sooner or later. Flavor for that is undecided as of yet.

On balance - it actually was pretty balanced. Serial Killers need to kill Mafia in order to win, so it actually acts like a second town lynch, in a strange way. It's a little bit swingy, sure, but if this ruleset was played a hundred times, it'd be pretty even in terms of town/mafia wins. The SK does get the shaft a little bit, but that's the way it goes for neutral roles.

I had a pretty high number of vanilla roles to make balancing it with the SK included easier. In future games, you really should never assume anything in terms of what roles are included, or even what factions! That's known as Modgaming, and usually ends in paranoia and trouble.

Flavorgaming is also something that I caution against. Stuff like, y'know. Assuming that Rufus Scrimgeour would not be a vanilla role. Or that he'd not even be at such a battle. Or assuming that Albus Dumbledore would be a role that is in the game. I do tend to give scum safe fakeclaims that they can make in terms of flavor, and sometimes even in terms of role - it varies depending on the complexity of the setup.

The key is that if there is an early mass claim, scum needs to win. Otherwise, town would just initiate that every game, and what fun would that be? You guys saw Karmahunt. That's not fun.

So I balance the games in terms of roles and flavor so that a day one mass claim of flavor or roles doesn't immediately make it obvious who is town and who is scum. And the threat of that in the minds of the players makes it a more enjoyable (and fair) game for everyone.

Someone mentioned the Voldemort flavor.

Yeah, maybe it doesn't make perfect sense, but if you look at Stojil's QuickTopic in the first post, it should clarify things a little bit.

I might try to piece together a guide of sorts for closed games, and mafia in general, that is targeted specifically at newer players.

But I think the fundamental thing that people need to understand is that roles don't matter nearly as much as people seem to think they do. Vanilla is perfectly capable of being a power role, if the person wielding it is extremely aggressive, hunts scum, and keeps game activity high. They can benefit the game more than a cop, even.

Never self-vote, never be okay with being lynched, never give up. The town's only kill is usually the lynch vote, so if you are town, you do not want to waste your only method of killing people. Vanilla does not equal expendable!

But regardless, thanks to you guys for playing, especially the first-timers, and hope to see some of you (and new faces) in Mini Mafia #2 soon.