1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #1 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Right now I'm torn between you being derpy scum or overly-paranoid town Rubicon. Also, you should never assume that your reasoning is obvious, as such, feel free to explain your suspiciouns, preferably with something more concrete than "He said somebody was scum, somebody else was town and wants people to post!"

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

No, I'd suspect him in the terms of "check that guy tonight, make sure he's one of ours" simply because if he is, then the scum will most likely form some sort of plan to make him suspicious and I'd like to have that information early on to remove any threat it might pose to the town later. Also, like I mentioned BillDoor is a strong player, so knowing for sure what side he's on is always a good thing, regardless of faction. I can say the same for Stojil who would in fact be my next choice to check. It's simple, check the strongest people first and then dwindle the list as we can as the game goes on. It's not fool proof I know but then, nothing really is in a closed set up.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Sorry for not posting earlier while people where squabling, but there were many things that needed doing.
    This game is full of people I have never played with before, and I was never that good at overanalyzing anyway.
    I will echo my stance from previous games though, I don't see the point in a day 1 lynch. Unless someone has made a great scum slip (which they haven't, or I assume the more mafia-savvy people would have picked up on it) we don't get much other than post-mortem confirmation that someone was (usually) town.

I don't see how the member count is enough to support 3 factions, but I've been wrong before :/

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

You think Fontisan is scum... as well as who?

Lynch: Rubicon

5. Jeopardizer

Jeopardizer First Year

Say we don't lynch today, here is how it goes:
    -We talk a little, we throw accusations left and right, nothing is done.
    -Someone dies in the night.
    -Only additional information Town gained was who was targeted in the night, wich is not that much and is subject to WINE.

Lynching Day1 gives information on who died during the day, why and allow to make some hypothesis.

6. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

A couple of things, this has been said before, and usually phrased far better than this, but not lynching on day 1 is a bad idea, mainly because lynches are towns best way for them to remove somebody that is found to be suspicious, and to find out for sure what they were. Secondly, Republic, editing your posts is a big no no in mafia games and only makes you look bad.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Not sure how adding "(usually)" to my post makes me look bad, but I understand that editing in Mafia is against the rules. Sorry for that.

8. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

Hi guys, just letting you know that I won't be able to post till tonight (like 8 or so hours from now) because I have a really big business opportunity that I need to work on.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In an open set up I'd agree with you more often then not but in a closed, flip on death set up all lynches are vital. They give us 100% confirmation of a role and valuable insight into their posts. Say x defends y and we lynch x. Whether x is town, scum or a power role on flip tells us a lot about y which tells us about others players etc.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I disagree. Even if we lynch x and he proves to be town, we can't assume that whoever x accuses is scum or whoever x defended is town, because it's day 1. X himself had only speculations, and could very well be defending scum accidentally.

The only way we gain something from Day 1 is if we manage to lynch a scum, since we can analyze their posts, certain that they actually knew what they were doing when posting.
    At least that's how I see it.

11. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

What the fuck republic. That's just wrong. Say we lynch x. x turns out to be town. We can then look at the bandwagon and whoever voted for x to try and determine what was going on. Say if a bunch of people leaped on the bandwagon in the middle, they could very easily be scum bandwagonning. Just about the worst thing we could possibly do, is not lynch anyone.

The idea that not lynching day one is better for town is just wrong. it's also not something I've ever seen a town player make.

12. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

So, you think it's better to confirm that strong players are town than to check scummy looking players. I get your reasoning here, since we don't want to be led by scum, but isn't actually catching scum more important?

AngelRick: Seriously, stop going no-u. First you did this with me, then Jeopardizer pointed it out and you proceeded to do it to him.

Rubicon: You're right that my reasoning is weak, because it's, you know, the first day. I would answer the rest of your first post, but I'd just be repeating old arguments because it's already been shot down. On to the second post then.

I'm assuming that you're referring to my thought that Jeopardizer might be part of a third faction. Yeah, weak reasoning on my part. I'm actually liking Jeopardizer a bit more after his recent posts, with the exception of that weird exchange with Stojil.

This is just terrible reasoning.

Republic: We still gain from accidentally lynching town because we can analyse the vote record every day. Lynches, whether good or bad are a great source of information. Actually, I find the whole soft lynch concept concerning because it allows a lynch with very few votes, which makes analyzing votes more difficult. On the other hand, we're much less likely to fail to lynch.

....Apparently I have it out for people with capital R's in their names.

13. Bill Door

No, he's right. That's what a cop should do with the first one or two checks. Check the town leaders. Make sure that a scum player isn't leading the town for their own nefarious purposes.

14. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

I've got to agree with you there, both Rubicon and Republic seems suspicious as fuck.

I've already stated why for Rubicon.

As for Republic....really, since when is a "no-lynch" ever +ve town? (other than the recent Karmahunt that seems to be the case)

Also, hypothetically speaking, what if there is a "Judge" role? If it's Town Judge, he may make a terribad judgement if we do not lynch. If it's Scum Judge, well needless to say, they got one extra kill which we have no control of.

Not lynching is almost never good. Furthermore, roles are revealed upon death in this game, even if we hit a townie, we may gain new information that is useful. Say, for example, like the earlier discussion going on about whether there are vanilla roles, we mislynched and killed a vanilla townie. Then we would know that "oh, so there ARE vanilla roles".

Although there is a chance we might hit one of the info-roles, we must take the risk (it has always been like that in mafia, be it open or closed set up).

In a closed set up, where we don't even know what roles there are, lynching is a must. I can't see how any town player would suggest a no-lynch day one.

15. Bill Door

I'd guess that there probably isn't any judge role. The Hard lynch/Soft lynch thing makes it very hard to get a no lynch situation, unless we do it deliberately or the vote is tied.

16. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Thank you for responding to my pressure-post exactly the same way I thought you would: By ignoring the core of my argument, then switching to a more aggressive playstyle in the hope of making me think I was wrong about your wishy-washy-ness before. I wasn't.

The case against you has not been shot down at all. Please respond to the whole thing.

(This is an excellent example of what happens when you defend other players, btw: They think they can just let you defend them and not respond themselves.)

Just as expected: Since I attacked you for attacking Jeapordizer, you've decided to back away from it - but even as you say you think he might be town, you're still trying to cast a bit of suspicion that way.

THIS is the core reason why you're scum.

Please explain why, in great detail.

More votes on Fontisian, please. My vote is staying there, so just 3 more and we can lynch scum D1.

---------- Post automerged at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

There is no such thing as paranoia in a game of mafia. Only scum, and those too weak to hunt them.

---------- Post automerged at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Hey Stojil.

What do you think of Fontisian?

While you're answering that, please re-read my post in full and explain why what you just said is so bad.

17. Bill Door

Are you seriously saying that someone posting more content than they were asked for is a scum tell. Because that's the most retarded piece of logic I've seen in at least a week.

In fact most of your logic and points against him are pretty dodgy. Actually, I find you to be pretty dodgy. I'd rather lynch Stojil, but I think I'll change my vote to you, since no one else seems to be going along with me at the moment.

Rescind Vote

Lynch Vote: Rubicon

18. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Nope, I'm saying that Fontisian's post had no content in the first place. He posted more words than he was asked to, not content.

Furthermore, everything he has said is stuff that's easy for scum to say, and requires no actual analysis, and is therefore the kind of thing inexperienced scum players leap to say when asked to contribute.

His play here is literally exactly the same as the newbie scum player in a game I played on another site recently.

19. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Why do I get the feeling that you would have responded this way no matter what I said? As for my playstyle, I wasn't aggressive earlier because I saw nothing to be aggressive about.

I decided to cast suspicion on Jeopardizer and Stojil because I don't want people to forget that bit of weirdness with all the other crap that's turning up.

Only sith (and players in the know) speak in absolutes. Your arguments are weak and, even if you are town, you'll be a distraction until you die. I have been wishy-washy before and probably will be in the future, but now I've made a decision and I want you dead.

Lynch: Rubicon

---------- Post automerged at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

While I'm riled up, I'm actually a she.

20. Bill Door

His play here is the same as a newbie of any faction. Whereas your blind tunnelling on an easy target is considerably more suspicious. The fact that you don't even seem to have considered that he might not be scum just doesn't seem right.

---------- Post automerged at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

ebwop: *her/she

Sorry.