1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #1 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

woops. Sorry!

2. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fontisian: I'm sure I probably am a massive distraction from the various mislynches scum would like to push through.

Not to mention, all this discussion I've generated is terrible for you and your partners, who would rather that town was passive and unwilling to stick their neck out when they see something scummy.

Lynch me fast before the less aggressive players realize I'm right.

No, it's not. Newbie town is wishy washy, but doesn't try to stir up suspicion on players while calling them "null" and then backpedal at the slightest pressure, while still trying to stir up more suspicion. Or rather, they might, but they do a hell of a lot less often than newbie scum, who does it almost across the board.

I considered the possibility, and found it lacking.

There are actually a couple other players that I'm suspicious of, but I'm choosing to focus my efforts on the one who I find scummiest.

3. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

:fire She's saying that it is a "neutral read". How is that stirring up suspicion?
    Please explain.

Alright, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you MIGHT be just derpy town.

Please state all of those you are suspicious of, and state the reasons.

4. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

There actually is some reasoning behind this. If I said "Sacrifice did that kind of scummy thing, but he's still a null read for me" then everyone would focus on that scummy thing and decide for themselves whether it's scummy or not. It wouldn't place as much suspicion on you as it would if I outright said that you were scummy, but it does cast some suspicion.

5. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Thing is, newbie scums don't usually try any of this. Newbie scum generally lurks and says as little as they can get away with. They don't try to cast suspicion on people, they just try to avoid suspicion being cast on them.

6. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I think the both of you are battling it out for the title of scummiest in the game. The sad thing is that one of you will probably feel validated by the other flipping scum, which seems to be the probable outcome of this since I can't see this fight being town aggroing on town at the moment.

And maybe you didn't understand what I meant with my quote (or you're faking it). At that point you were saying that you thought Fontisan was scum and Jeopardizer was town, right? Then you said what I quoted:

Who is that "as well" referring to? Wasn't it already established that you thought (were sure, really) that Fontisan was scum? I think you made that pretty clear in practically all your posts. So what that sentence looks like to me is a slip, in which you admitted that he could be scum despite you being scum as well, because there could be more than one non-town faction beside yours.

7. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Votals!

Rubicon: (5) Mishie, Sacrifice, Uncle Stojil, Bill Door, Fontisian
    AngelRick: (3) Kalas, Wetnurse, Jeopardizer,
    Fontisian: (1) Rubicon
    Jeopardizer: (1) AngelRick
    Sacrifice: (1) Riley Poole

Abstaining: (2) LochNess, Republic21

With 13 players remaining, it is 7 to hard lynch, and 4 to soft lynch.

Day One ends in 28.5 hours

8. Rubicon

By saying Jeapordizer is null immediately after listing a half-dozen random reasons he might not be, she's able to stir up suspicion and encourage a lynch on him without firmly committing to the reads. It's a pretty good -- and common - scum strategy in a game where no one will call you on it. You throw some half-hearted accusation out and see whether anyone agrees. If they do, you can push harder and get a mislynch, if they don't, you can drop it and try something else without looking suspicious.

I'm not interested in discussing anything other than how scummy Fontisian is today. Once she is lynched, today or tomorrow, I'll discuss my other reads. If you lynch me, analyze who was on which wagon and why and take a good look at Fontisian during D2.

Her post reeks of trying to avoid suspicion. That's why I find it suspicious. But Fontisian was specifically asked to post, so lurking was not a good option for her.

See the last line of my post #60 for the answer to this.

---------- Post automerged at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

And Stojil, if that word mix-up is the basis for your vote on me, it might be wise to switch to Fontisian before I get hard-lynched.

9. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Oops. I had missed that, sorry.

Anyway, it's not the only basis for my vote, especially not now, since sentences like "I'm not interested in discussing anything other than how scummy Fontisian is today" are still out there, together with what others have already pointed out multiple times. Fontisan is as scummy as you are, if not more so now, but the info we would gather lynching her is slightly less than with you, IMO.

Wetnurse: come in here, please, and tell us your point of view about all this.

10. Rubicon

1) What were those reasons that other people have pointed out? Half the votes on me are from people who misunderstood my argument, and AFAICT the others just don't like that I'm pushing hard on one player and ignoring others. But that's a pretty common play style for both town and scum, so it doesn't count as a tell. Is that why you're voting me?

2) What information (concrete information) do you expect to gain from lynching me, that would not be gained from lynching Fontisian, who you apparently think is scummier?

11. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

Fair enough. That makes sense.

That seems like a totally town thing to do, considering you might be lynched today and we won't get any more information from you. Hmmm ok.

Rescind Vote

Nah, just kidding. Lynch Vote: Rubicon
    You strike me as scum more than anything right now. I posed that question because you CLAIMED to have scum-reads other than Fontisian.

I was testing you to see if you were just desperately trying to get one person to die, or did you have other reads and thinks that Fontisian is the scummiest of them all.

Turns out it was the former.

It seems strange that no one is going along with your plan to lynch Fontisian so this could be one of the following scenarios.

1) You acted independently without your scumbuddies, and they don't want to help you.

2) This is a scum plot and you have an on-death activation ability.

3) This is a scum plot to divert attention away from all those who are voting against you.

4) You are a super paranoid town, and hence was unintentionally scummy and that lead to people wanting to lynch you.

5) You are a town info-role that allows you to check a player in the day, and you found out that Fontisian is scum. So you flipped some mud and hopes that we will lynch her.

From scenarios 1 to 4, you should die. Even if it's number 4, you have garnered far too much suspicion and leaving you alive will just divert attention away from us lynching a possible scum on the following days.

Scenario 5 is possible but unlikely. I'd rather take my chance with it being the four other scenarios.

You may still choose to answer my question, though I probably won't change my vote.

If you are town, you should give as much information as possible.

12. Rubicon

I have a good reason for not answering your question, and it's not my inability to have more than one read in a game. I'm not even sure how you find it plausible that I'm able to generate 2 pages of case against one player but not even a few sentences about anyone else. It's because I choose not to. Please tell me what my scum motive is for this.

I also find it weird that no one else has joined the wagon. If Fontisian is not scum, then I would expect at least one scum to have tossed a vote in, because why not? So I'm leaning toward scenario six: Fontisian is scum and all of his buddies have been working hard to save him.

In case anyone is wondering, here's my claim:

I am Rufus Scrimjour, Minister of Magic.

Just as in Deathly Hallows, it would seem that scum needs to eliminate me before they can seize the Ministry.

That said, my role has no special abilities (it's basically a themed Vanilla Townie - which is why I've felt comfortable been so aggressive about my read on Fontisian) so feel free to lynch me if you genuinely think that I am scum. When I flip town, analyze my wagon and please, please kill Fontisian.

13. fontisian

It's Rufus Scrimgeour.

14. Rubicon

I know, but I don't want to edit the post to correct it.

15. fontisian

Alright, I can see how having a vanilla role would make you more comfortable with your aggressive stance. But seriously, getting the name wrong?

16. Rubicon

Question for Stojil:

Since you leave open the possibility of me being town, shouldn't you want to eek out every minute of discussion time today? There are still 24 hours left in this day and I'm one vote from being lynched. Several people haven't even weighed in on me and Fontisian yet. Do you want the day to be cut short?

17. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You're two votes off being lynched.

18. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

1) Generally, your argument points are all very flimsy. The fact you seem to have absolute certainty in them is also very scummy, since town is usually much less sure of what is going on. Even when speaking about general concepts in mafia, you try to make your opinions pass as truth, when they're actually just opinions that can go both ways and are subject to meta and context.

What you're doing towards fontisan is tunnelling, which is a tactic from either scum or bad town.

You made assumptions based on either nothing or your (supposed) role, and again, you tried to paint them as proved stuff.

You say you don't want to discuss anyone but Rubicon today. Do you know what that sentence reeks of? Scum who fears he's about to be lynched and role-revealed.

2) Your wagon will be much more informative (and no, it's not concrete information - you're either scum, someone with a completely wrong idea of what Mafia is, or both) than what would form if we tried to switch to fontisan simply because most votes crossing over would turn out to be just wagoning people. That means buddy-bussing, uncertain/lazy townies, players that want to fly under the radar for towny/scummy reasons. It would be a toss up. The people on your current wagon, instead, all have somewhat built an argument against you (or you built it against them in the case of fortisan). That's much more telling and would most probably give us a direction, no matter what you flip as.

You're two votes away, and if two people come in here, vote for you, cut the day short and you flip as town, be sure that those two are going to be put through hell for it. I doubt scum is going to (seriously) risk being lynched for getting rid of you (if you are town, that is).

19. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

Okay guys, back for a bit, but I have a really big meeting tonight. Everyone cross your fingers for me.

Anyways, just read through the thread there and caught up. Rubicon, hated how he said he had scum reads but wasn't going to mention them, that's ridiculous. But I don't have the same definite scum feelings as everyone else towards him. It could also be that I hate just following a day one bandwagon unless I instigated it, because I just find day 1 is always way too easy for scum to vote for an innocent person and get them out without coming off as suspicious. I know we need a lynch, but since we don't need a majority for a lynch (if we did and it came down to needing a last vote to lynch, I would vote off Rubicon) and a lynch will go through with out me, I'm not going to join the wagon.

When I was reading, one post struck me as suspicious, before I had read who wrote it. When I saw who it was, I was a bit surprised but it was the person I had already called suspicious. Sacrifice's post that said something along the lines of "if we don't lynch him we are going to be stuck on him for future days and not be able to vote of scum" just seemed like something I had said when I was scum before. In some cases it can be true, but in one where you don't need a majority for votes and we get a RR on death to start finding out clues right away, I really don't think it is the case.

So that people can keep track of my suspicions;

Lynch Vote: Sacrifice

---------- Post automerged at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Oh also guys, from the rules on the front page:

1. Days will last 72 hours. Nights a maximum of 24 hours. Nights may be shortened if all relevant Night Actions are locked in in time!

So even if it reaches the 7 votes, I think the game still runs on until 72 hours are done.

20. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Incorrect. Days last either 72 hours - upon which the person with the most votes will die (provided they are at soft lynch), or until hard lynch is reached.

Day ends immediately upon the hard lynch being reached, and no one should post afterwards.