1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #5 - Firefly Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Sep 26, 2013.

1. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

So far only you, Prophylaxis, and Lungs have seemed scummy to me. For you, it's been your little content posts, you're asking a lot of questions an only answering others' with one or two word responses unless they were attacking you or coming after you.

For Lungs, it's been his inactivity combined with him not making any wild mass questioning posts. From previous games I've seen of him he tends do make those, but I'm waiting for him to post more.

As for Prophylaxis, it's mostly just my gut. I didn't really like his post 20, it seemed to come pretty out of the blue. Could just be him trying to move along the game though.

At this point I'm not really ready to commit to anyone, but I do want to leave my vote on Lungs to maybe urge him into posting more.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seriously? The only times we've ever lynched a scum on day one were by pure accident. I think one of the Hunt games had us lynch the Warlock first day, but other than that I can't recall a single instance of it.

That very highly suggests that our day one scum hunting strategies do precisely dick.

---------- Post automerged at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Oops. Didn't notice the next page.

3. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Catching up. Just seeing this Aekiel post and I disagree.

Day 1 is not random, Day 1 is not a random lynch - I've lynched many scum on past Day 1s based on behavior. There's no need to run someone up at random.

4. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Lynch Vote: Aekiel

His interactions with Sesc look to me like two scummates talking to each other. His question gives Sesc an easy way to look like a town scumhunting, then he weirdly pats Sesc on the back, before only really lightly pressuring him.

That all looks to me like day 1 scum play.

5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Might be different on other forums, but on here it's pretty damn rare to hit scum on day one. Also, note that I didn't actually say that lynching randomly was a good idea. Just that our day one lynches tend that way and that we should focus more on getting people to participate and put their opinions out there for use in later days.

It would be if he'd answer the question I asked him, rather than giving a joke/non-committal response. Also, I was at work. I would have responded with a longer/more thought out post if I had the time to.

Anyway, we're getting some decent discussion going now, so I'll look through the thread again and see what I can dredge up.

6. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

DELAAAAAYED POSTU.

@Aekiel: I think Riley is about to quote Firefly. Any minute now.

But anyway, I haven't done a post by post analysis yet. I don't think it's necessary for this, but consider this a warm up...thingy.

Ok, Riley.

Post 15: Over-zealous analysis of first few RVS posts. Showed concern over Aekiel's 'ninja' for some reason. "Day 1 sucks sometimes."
    Mentions Font as active
    Recognized Lexicat and Blab
    Claims suspicion on Proph and Bit.

Post 24: Brings up a fair issue about DLP meta. His response to Bit is quite the aggressive NO U. Question to Blab concerning his own play. RVS silliness with Lungs. Tells Caesar he's trying a new play style to get better. Votes on Caesar for 'trying to follow the crowd' with his RVS silliness.

Post 37: Backtracks a little bit on Bit. Explains his play again to Caesar in another NO U moment.

Post 41: Aggressively explaining, again, that he's trying to push discussion.

Post 48: Calls me town, pokes Blab, asks about play.

Post 50: Follows up on Blab to try and get more content.

In short: Riley is all over the place. The Blab thing is a bit better. Considering his history, I'm not sure I would call him scum just yet.

Now to get back to the thread. And...yes. Activity from some of the more absent folk would be nice. I'm going to go eat dinner, and then read through the thread again.

7. Caesar

Caesar First Year

@Blab: I was rereading the thread and saw your question re: use of random votes to sabotage discussion. Was there any particular reasoning behind it?

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@Aekiel: Do you have any suspects? Because I somehow had the funniest feeling that the question tried to get the state of the game from me by proxy.

So if you want just one suspect, you are one yourself, as the other questions weren't too great either. What is the point in asking things you can't possibly be interested in?

Also, at who or what state of the game was #26?

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    Okay, I started out just listing a couple of things that stood out to me and it turned into a readwall. Hate it when that happens. Also, there are questions interspersed in the wall of text, so look out for the bolded ones.

Font has been relying mostly on mechanics discussion to this point. Even her response to Blab was mostly about mechanics.

Font: Build a case against yourself. Just kidding. Go through Riley's posts and give us your read on him.

Lexicat is an aggressive player, but I haven't gotten any scum vibes so far.

Bitmyfinger gave a soft defence of Caesar. Could be a sign of scummates.

Bitmyfinger: Build a case against someone that isn't Riley.

Caesar is wrong about first day lynches. Also needs to post more content. Could be a sign of scum.

As I said before; the purpose of day one is to get people talking and to get a lynch out. My personal choice for D1 lynching is the most contentious person. Whoever is argued over the most should be the lynch target, rather than the scummiest looking.

That way, even if he turns out to be town, we get more information to work with on day 2. We've done the D1 derp lynch too many times now; scum just jump on the bandwagon or place useless votes, then we go into day two with no context to put the kills in.

On top of that, it also neatly rids us of the 'should we lynch the one that we thought about lynching yesterday' dilemma we seem to get so often.

Prophylaxis is the same as above.

Riley is

Lungs is Lungs. Get into the game, dude.

Bill Door is Bill Door.

Fishy Justice did well in showing why the massclaim plan is something to be kept in reserve, and for specific circumstances only. Other than that he's only done Riley's post analysis, which turned out to be fairly pointless since Riley always appears derp scum. Would be leaning town on him, but there's not enough content for me to judge accurately.

Fishy Justice: Build a case against me.

Blab could be rolefishing, could just be a newbie. Could be a newbie trying to rolefish. Either way his doctor question was a bad one, which Font pointed out well enough.

Blab: Who is your biggest scum read so far and why?

TMNTurtwig needs to post more. I agree with him on Lung's inactivity and Caesar's content-less posts.

Sesc definitely needs to post more.

Sesc: Choose your biggest scumread and build a most likely scum team around him/her.

I don't think I've missed anyone there. If I have it's because they haven't pinged on my radar so far, which means they have to POST MORE. Same goes for everyone.

And since I'm not a hypocrit, here's my current proto-scumteam:

Bitmyfinger, Caesar and Fontisian.

Reasons being a slight link between Bite and Caesar in the form of a soft defence, and Font has done nothing but mechanics talk so far.

---------- Post automerged at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Fake edit: Ninja'd by Sesc. Good enough?

10. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

What is a more efficient way, then?
    Bleh, now I feel like I'm defending Riley. I hate feeling like I'm defending Riley.

You are seriously overestimating town's organizational abilities.

Just saying this makes you look more scummy Riley.:facepalm

Something that stuck out on my read through was the way part of Aekiel's post 47:
    mirrored part of Caesar's post 42:
    I will lynch you. More seriously, I will get on this soon.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Oh wait, forgot to put a vote down.

Vote Player: Bitmyfinger

Explain your defence of Caesar!

12. Caesar

Caesar First Year

Had this mostly typed out and then my laptop ate it. At least it wasn't much work.

Blab:

Post #9: Typical RVS stuff, save for the doctor question. Lexi and font explained why this is a bad idea and I agree with them. Too much risk of the doctor role slipping or drinking the WINE or the scum getting lucky in return for discussion we can get in other ways.

Post #11: Expounds on reasoning behind question. Liked the bit about not giving town tells but all that could be acquired with questions that don't involve roles. Pressures Lexi lightly.

Post #19: Further defense of the doctor question. Ignores the fact that the Doctor isn't going to be picking randomly and that any information about potential protection is of use to scum as well. Is a bit flippant about scum discovering the doctor but rightly points out that the risk is much the same with the cop question proposed by font (I didn't like that either, for the record.) Comments on Riley's #15. Probably meant as pressure.

Then we have something of an absence until #45, which I actually quite like. Responds to my question pretty well and puts (well deserved) pressure on Lungs to post.

Post #49 is simply asking for clarification after Riley calls him out for perceived lurking, leading into #54, where the only thing of note is his question for Riley. I'd like to hear about the thought behind it before commenting though.

Blab, I'd like you to commit to something. In that spirit, would you mind making a case against someone. (Preferably not Riley.)

Fake Edit for font: I'm assuming you meant more efficient ways for Riley to try and improve his game and not be seen as scummy all the time? For a start, not trying to analyse people's posts and call them out on filler on the first page. Pick one player and analyse their posts in detail after the thread has grown a little. Ask questions, get discussion going. Don't get so defensive or start asking "do I seem scummy to you?". As Fishy noted, Riley's later posts, where he's pressuring blab, are better.

13. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Dislike fontisian voting (hypothetical) Rubicon. Not voting for an actual player in RVS is slightly scummy for not applying pressure on someone.

blab's vote feels over-explanatory.

BMF feels overdefensive in Riley's accusation - currently, he's my strongest scum read. Also not voting Riley feels like cautious scum.

Caesar's first post pings my gut a smidge.

I like Riley's #24 - "explain using small words" and "Deal with it" are more town words since scum aren't going to draw negative attention to themselves.

BMF's response is a bit self-conscious too.

And Caesar's still pinging my gut. Hm.

Caesar looks a bit better as he admitted his answer was "a bit mod-gamey". Still ambivalent on him, though. Looking to fencesit here for now.

Sesc points out Riley Poole as being "scummy" but no vote, yet again.

I like TMT's accusations - they seem newb!town orientated to me.

So.. yeah. Mostly everyone as null-ish, with Sesc/font/blab making up my weak scum reads.

BMF is still scummy to me.

Prophylaxis
    TMNTurtwig
    Riley Poole

Aekiel
    Bill Door
    Caesar
    Fishy Justice
    Lexicat
    Lungs
    Fontisian
    Blab
    Sesc

BitMyFinger

14. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

You'll notice that the defense of Caesar was some more evidence of Riley's scumminess. It wasn't about the person he decided to accuse and lynch vote, it was the fact that he completely disregards it for the rest of their interactions.

But that case against someone you requested:

Post 26 has you defending Riley at the slightest suspicion. Hm, continues to defend Riley. Ignore him completely in regards to reads. Or I guess that's just you stating Riley exists and is being constant. Which would contradict your post about him changing.

What, doesn't everyone have the same chance of being scum?

And then you say Day 1 lynch is hopeless. What's with this defeatism? Our Day 1 lynching isn't gonna get any better if we just ignore it. Here's a thought: scum trying to discourage looking for the correct lynch?

I'll try to refrain from commenting on your reads, because a single post pointing out flaws in scum reads in order to prove someone scummy is apparently worthy of lynching.

---------- Post automerged at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Hm, Proph. You kinda contradict yourself.

Stop being so cautious! You keep accusing this person doggedly!

You're perception of town seems kinda odd. 'Deal with it' does not seem like an appropriate response. "I'm going to post scummy, then explain by not explaining." I don't even know if I want that kind of player on my team, because he's going to do more harm than good. If he can show some town thinking and playing, I'm not going to lynch him of course. But as of now, his playing 'town' has read like a scum.

And there it is.

15. fontisian

Did you mean to say something here?

---------- Post automerged at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I was going to do a tl:dr, but it's late and day 1, so screw it. I have a slight town read on Riley because he's being unusually aggressive and not falling back on his normal "could be scum, could be town" half derp, half lurker play style.

Except for that. That was just bad.

16. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

I agree that it's bad, but I understand the mindset behind asking it. Riley clearly wants to improve at the game, so he asked a question to gauge his progress. If I was in his shoes then there's a chance I would have asked that question too.

17. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

The better question, Lungs, is why did you feel the need to comment on it like this? More specifically, your comment seems to frame these reactions as a bad thing, why?

Because to be quite honest, those are all opportunities for you to: apply more pressure, get strong reads, forward more discussion for a chance at more reads.

And instead you chose to make a comment about how "people" are overreacting.

Who?
    What does this overreaction mean in relation to their alignment?
    Vote any of them for it?

Vote: Lungs

This is the Red Truth~

18. fontisian

And then the thread died for 8 hours.

Proph: Could you elaborate on your read of Caesar?

TMNT: What do you think of blab?

19. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I'm on the fence about Blab. His posts read like newbie town, but for the same reasons they I could easily see him as scum.

His first post, with the doctor question, made me think of a new player "surreptitiously" asking for advice on a power role. Could also be scum fake-soft claiming. His post #54 also seems weird and it seems like he's talking about Riley and Lungs.

Riley went after Blab pretty early for inactivity when at that point Blab had a fairly decent amount of posts that both asked and answered questions, which Riley had accused him of not doing. Smells of distancing.

Blab placed a vote on Lungs to get him to post more, could be distancing, could be honest. I'd like to hear more from Lungs before I decide.

His post #54 also specifically mentions Prophylaxis by name and when Bitmyfinger called him on it, his post #58 counter to that is pretty weaksauce. Could be Blab buddying Prophylaxis then backtracking.

If Blab is scum I'd tentatively place him on a team with Riley/Lungs or Riley/Prophylaxis.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Sorry for AWOL; RL stuff. I'm around now.

So here's just a run down of my impressions, superficial stuff. I like Caesar, and I like fontisian. Riley is like he always is ... goddamn, dat question. "how do I play", seriously? At this point, I think Riley just cannot into Town. And the ridiculous thing about that is since everyone knows this (see: Aekiel), it works like just as well as the uber-player who can always appear Town. I'm not happy about that development at all.

Riley aside; I want to read more from Lungs and BillDoor and I don't like Aekiel and Fishy.

If this sounds not very concrete, and looks to be lacking a vote, that's because it is and it does. I didn't yet have the time to do more than glancing over the thread. Expect something later tonight.