1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

MMORPG's

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by SeverusPrince, Jan 3, 2015.

1. SeverusPrince

SeverusPrince Muggle

Have any of you played any MMORPGs? If so, which ones?

One I enjoyed was Tera Rising. The combat system really appealed to me - instead of pushing a button and watching your character attack, you have direct control of your character. You have to actually aim for your target and dodge. I thought it was pretty neat! But aside from that and the great graphics, I don't recall anything else that distinguishes this game from other mmo's.

I am also looking forward to the North America release of Black Desert Online. The character customization is crazy sophisticated, I already know I will be spending hours on that before actually playing! The graphics are similar if not better than that of Tera.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what mmorpg's you all waste time on as well! ^^

2. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Guild Wars 2 is very fun!

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only MMO I ever liked was The Secret World, and I think that would have been an infinitely better game if it were a single-player RPG with online co-op features.

I briefly played the first Guild Wars years ago, but it was on a dial-up connection and the old family PC so it wasn't a very enjoyable experience. I also didn't really get how to play it back then.

There was also Runescape, if that counts. Some friends got me into it. Also on dial-up, and once my friends stopped playing it I didn't find it very fun solo.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    WoW. Back in the day.

5. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

World of Warcraft - Raided hardcore quite a while.

SWTOR - Best MMO leveling, ever imho. The story of an rpg in a mmo game.

Tibia - The game that got me into MMO's to begin with, and the one I've returned to a decade later - nostalgia and sandbox makes a great combo.

I've tried pretty much all MMO's that has come out since the first WoW - these are the ones that has made a lasting and deep impression on me.

Edit: mom changed to mmo - dat misstype

6. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I mostly play Guild Wars 2 nowadays, don't like spending the money on monthly subscriptions. It's pretty awesome.

7. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

The only MMO I've ever made to endgame was Star Wars: The Old Republic. The reason for which is the Roleplay Community. There is something...epic about RPing in the star wars universe.

Thinking of RP...why doesn't DLP have a forum for such? Or am I just unaware of it? I would think forum RP would be right up everyone's ally...

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We've had a few (failed) attempts at play-by-post RPGs before, if that's what you mean.

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Tibia <3 That game used to be so fucking good. It's a pity CIP are a bunch of incompetent fucktards that couldn't balance a god damn check book, let alone a game.

What world did you play, mate?

Other than Tibia? Runescape, for a little while. Elder Scrolls online.

10. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Sadness. *shrugs* Oh well.

11. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's still amusing enough for me to sink serious time into it - there's just something truly satisfying about the sink or swim community that makes the game... rewarding.

Back in the day I played Antica, then moved to Amera when it opened up - seeing as it coincided with me being hunted off the server.

Right now, I'm playing Antica once again - we won a 'warmode' a month ago and it looks like we could be having another one soon(ish).

Cipsoft being somewhat incompetent however is something I can agree on, I'd say I enjoy the basic concepts of the game, mentioned above - depsite their meddling and ludicrous ideas. If you, or anyone, considers making a nostalgia comeback I'd be happy to provide free equipment and some starting money.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FF: Realm Reborn was fun for a little while. PS4 version is really smooth. Monk is epic.

13. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Everything after Meridian-59 was shit! :)

14. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Hmm, the only ones I really enjoyed and got to end game with were Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

I keep considering getting back into Guild Wars 2, but I haven't been back since getting to end game before any of the expanded content came out. Perhaps if I had enough friends also playing at the same time.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only MMO I've ever really gotten into was Planetside, back when it was good. Before the BFGs showed up it was magnificent.

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At one point in my teens, I think I had tried out most of the f2p mmorpgs available in Europe. There were only a few that could hold my interest, though.

Runescape, my first mmorpg. I barely even knew some English back then. It took me hours to figure out how to cook food to recover hp. Good times.

Diablo 2. Was still a scrub, but this game was just amazing. Played it with friends from school.

Conquer Online. Enter the grindy asian genre, I don't think the game is that well known. I spent good three years playing this. Servers were small, you knew everyone who was relevant. Free PK everywhere, guild wars, experienced my first online dating relationship (tip: don't), got me into forums for the first time. I was actually one of the top forum posters (spammers) and players on my server for a while. A lot of mixed feelings still.

And of course, World of Warcraft, the game that really stole my life. Raided hardcore a few expansions. Still playing on and off. It's the one game I've been unable to permanently quit.

I've tried all the currently popular ones (GW2, Tera, FF:RR, SWTOR, Diablo 3 for the ones I level capped in), but no mmorpg has held my attention for more than a few months other than WoW for the past five years. SWTOR did have an amazing storyline, but the endgame fell sadly flat.

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

I played a shitton of various free MMO's years ago since well, they were free, but apart from those, the main ones that stand would have to be Runescape, TSW and GW2.

Runescapes was just hilariously fun at the time, and the fact that it's managed to keep on going despite all the other mmo's that have died is pretty impressive, especially since it's one of the few that are able to keep up the subscription model and do it well.

TSW was always an odd MMO, the only times I ever did MMO shit was when I had to do a dungeon or during the holiday events, but I just loved the setting so much (despite the fact that the gameplay was kinda meh).

GW2 I hated at release, but after coming back to it recently, I decided that the problem was that I decided to play a thief the first time, because holy shit playing a necromancer is so much fun, seriously, it's just the best. Then there's the fact that the scenery looks great, the combat is fun, the questing and exploration is so much nicer than that usual "Go to X place, to do Y thing".

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

*ULTIMATE BROFIST*

Xandrel Astraan is a character I created in Tibia back in 2006. (Server: Luminera)

I'm still playing with it occasionally.

19. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Played Ragnarok on a cracked hungarian server at the beginning. Then last year(heh) with Ragnarok 2. Both enjoyable to a point, not much point playing it alone.

Played Lineage 2 starting with c4. Was fun but it went to hell after c6.

Played Guild Wars 1 and 2. Both nice games.

SWTOR was a big dissapointment tho.