1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Mother of Learning by nobody103 - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Betosa, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah @Zombie - the next update (supposedly in December) should be the final update.

From the author:
    Note: The author has since delayed the chapter from "sometime in November" to "sometime in December" just FYI.

Edit: This story has three pretty clear arcs, in my opinion. I hope he takes a year or two to edit the hell out of it and publish it as a trilogy. Even if he has to self-publish to make it happen. Dude is currently sitting at making $2008 USD PER CHAPTER.

2. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Does anyone know if the author has said anything about his writing plans after Mother of Learning ends? Will he write another serial or possibly a sequel?

3. Ched

I don’t recall them saying anything about their plans after finishing MoL. Doesn’t mean they haven’t though.

4. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

Pretty sure nobody103 said that Zorian’s story would end with MoL, but that he may do more with the setting in general. Honestly don’t know why he would ever think of throwing it out since he’s already spent so much time on the world building. He even created it all before he started to conceive of Zorian’s story. I bet we’ll see a cameo of Zorian in the future though if he continues to use the setting.

5. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

The cameo of him as a mysterious archmage would be pretty cool. Or something like a Cyorian legend. Because in my opinion there is no way his power will actually stay a secret. Too many people including invaders etc. already know about it.

6. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

Yeah, I feel that if Zorian appears in a later work in the same setting, it will be in a really discreet manner. Like, his cameo in future works could simply be through the wider effects he will undoubtedly have on society. I really doubt Zorian will completely stay in the shadows afterwards, but a lot of his future work will probably be just as inconspicuous and paranoid as we’ve seen (though Zorian has grown out of that a bit).

7. Vanathor

Vanathor Third Year

On his Patreon, the author said they are considering a Zorian focused sequel, for the repercussions of what comes after the end of this story. Its not set in stone yet, but he apparently does have some ideas in that vein.

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

That would be excellent. I'm more interested in what happens once Zorian leaves the time loop than the actual resolution.

9. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

Well count me happily wrong. Haven’t checked his Patreon in a while, so my info was out of date. I honestly can’t wait to see the effects that Zorian and Zach will have on the world after the time-loop and invasion.

10. Ched

A Zorian focused sequel sounds fantastic - and they'd be silly not to do it, given that they'd almost be assured an income if they got it up and running fairly soon - but I really hope that doesn't mean this story skimps on the epilogue.

If Zorian wins the battle, fixes the Zach problem, etc. I still want closure from other areas. Will he succeed in (initially) flying under the radar? What will he tell Damien? What happens to Kirielle? Do he and Xvim and Alanic have a beer to celebrate?

There's too many things I want some resolution too, and I've been worried for a while that the author was trying to wrap things up "too quickly" now that we've hit the climax. I want closure for this story in this story, sequel or not.

But yes please to the sequel as well.

11. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

Next chapter drop has been pushed back to the 26th of January (2020). Bit sad we won’t have a December drop, but nobody103 can take as much time as he needs to in order to perfect it in my estimation.

12. Anumidium

Anumidium Second Year

I hate to have to be the bearer of bad news once more, but the next chapter drop will be pushed back again, but only by a week this time (February 2nd). In my estimation, that can only mean that nobody103 is getting close to his ideal version of the next chapter(s). I think we can expect a phenomenal ending to this story that we’ve been following for so long.

13. Ched

"Mother of Learning Next Chapter Target Date: 2nd of February, 2020"
    For real, folks. As a mod I do feel some amount of obligation to read threads, and if you spoiler me I will ban you...

48 hours. Use spoiler tags for 48 hours minimum. I'd prefer a week, but I'll take 2 solid days.

14. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Snape kills Dumbledore.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It just updated, four chapters, starting now.

15. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I hate myself, I accidentally skipped to the last chapter because I forgot there would multiple and literally the first sentence was a huge spoiler.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you have anything to say about this story going forward I suggest you use spoiler tags. I'd hate to be the person that ruins the ending for me.

17. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I stopped reading after they got out of the time loop, I thought the story lost a lot of steam. But I'm definitely finishing this now that it's complete. Looks like tomorrow will be a fun day.

18. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

Alright the ending was epic. Nobody103 really outdid himself imo.

Note of advice. Click on the first link in the update notification email and read the chapters without looking at the names of the later chapters. It wasn't really a spoiler for me but that was because I was expecting this. Anyway it won't hurt not to look at the later chapter names before reading them.

Ikind of hope we're getting a sequel to see what happens in the future for Zach and Zorian though.

Motherfucker. I expected that but it’s still a minor spoiler regarding who lives or does that was up in the air. -Ched

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2020
  19. dragoninvoidotv

dragoninvoidotv Muggle

Ok so it’s still not over since the author has said he needs to finish the epilogue even more than what happen. But yeah the updates were epic and I hope it does not take 4 months to finish the epilogue.

20. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    Note from the author's page:
    Which is good news, since I thought the ending would've been a bit abrupt if 106 was the last chapter. Still an enjoyable read though. I think I'll start from the beginning tomorrow, as I have enough time to binge-read the whole thing before the release of the epilogue chapter.

EDIT: Adding some other thoughts.

When I said it would've been abrupt, I didn't mean for the plot points. I thought they were neatly wrapped up and the potential for future stories didn't seem forced or absurd. I do think an emotional wrap up is still needed though, which is what we'll get in the epilogue I believe.

In any case, I'm looking forward to it, and the sequel story in preparation. (I think I read here that it was a possibility?) If it happens, I fully expect Zach to be able to discover Zorian is still alive, at some point, without dying. That should be an adventure and I expect Zorian will make that a priority. Not to mention the upcoming war. It will probably introduce more political aspects of the setting. I also think Damien might play a bigger role in that aspect. (Also, he would have an easier experience chance of absorbing his memory cube thanks to his empathy, right? He's not the mind mage the others are, sure, but that might give him a slight edge in this case. Just a random thought.)

What will happen to Jornak? I'm not sure. I feel like he can be written off at this point, but it's not like there's no potential of engaging arcs if he happens to stay alive and/or escape.

Finally, I should say that I felt really proud of Zorian at the end of the last chapter. He really is something else, isn't he? Also, I had to chuckle when Jornak was jealous of Zorian accidentally entering the loop. Remember when Zorian used to grumble about the unfair advantage Zach had? :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020