1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #3: Desperate times, desperate measures

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vaimes, Mar 24, 2020.

1. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I prefer to think of it like "but my hunches ARE good"

2. Umami

Umami Squib

Apparently not that good

3. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I'm still waiting for him to answer 291, but yeah

4. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Based on?

Are you just being needlessly defiant because i have you as a light scumread halfway into day 1?

5. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

(He mentioned he'd be away today, btw)

Say hi to the lads there for me. What were their names again?

Gonna sleep, I'll address the big posts tomorrow.
    A plan is made.
    --- Post automerged ---
    ^the parenthesis line was @The Waco Kid about Keldeo

6. Umami

Umami Squib

I'm your 2nd highest scum read and I cited it early but you linked gemma and I as scum in #116/161/160 (something like that) early on without any support and then proceeded to just cherry pick. Anyway, it just struck me as odd
    --- Post automerged ---
    I just think you promote yourself as very confident in your scumreads early on

7. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    If i was looking for my partners youd be top of the list tbh.
    Playing up our intrinsic difference but actually happily passing eachother at oblique angles.

8. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I can now see a world where you flip scum and that looks real bad for me thanks to this specific comment. So thanks for that.
    K night!

9. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Yes i push everything i decide to push with aplomb.

This is why i like to add in things like percentages showing I dont think anyone is further than 8% from the default statistical likelihood...

But like
    I dont think ive given any strong confident reads this outside maybe fonti, and even that ive mentioned my historical inability to read her and been quite clear thats a squidgy read.
    Certainly no confidence on you. Possibly even less on gemma despite it being a stronger read.
    Ive added quite a few caveats.
    And alternative explanations for the town side of what im seeing as scummy

So
    No im not very confident in any scumreads why would i be
    --- Post automerged ---
    All of our interactions have been throwaway my dude. We barely even seem wary of eachother

10. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Why do you think that is something more likely to come from a town mindset?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ah, I missed that

11. Umami

Umami Squib

Have yet to see that--just looked back and every game I've played with you, you've been scum haha
    --- Post automerged ---
    I mean, I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but I think this early in the game scum players may be more cautious and may want to sit on the sidelines if one of their mates is going down. I could see town very easily just offering mild support to see if anyone else follows up on it to try to reverse the momentum even if it was a low chance

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I think I understand. But you say scum may not step up if their teammate was going down. Given that scenario though, it sounds like you think town!grape is defending scum!Gemma(?)

That confuses me since you've mentioned a few times recently ( 293 & 346) that you are thinking Gemma might be town.

13. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Yeah, I really hate this post.

14. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Hey Fluff, you have any thoughts on Keldeo or Grape?

15. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

Hi, I'm here for a little bit.

Sorry, I guess that was vague since I use that phrasing to mean the former too. "I want to townread her" wasn't meant like "I am tempted to townread her" but more... "I want her to be town since she invited me and I've enjoyed playing with her in the past, but I don't have a strong case." I guess it's more like I'm of two minds rather than I don't have a strong conclusion. I'm tempted to either see where it goes or live in a world where she's town for a day or so and see where that leads me.

In those posts I was more talking stuff out/"public processing" than trying to push anything - my thoughts were messy and confused after I caught up on that conversation and I wanted to figure out what I was feeling. Also, 261 is entirely about my read on fonti from the interaction, and not Gemma.

16. Grapefruit21

Grapefruit21 Muggle

@The Waco Kid it was the way Umami kind talked through her progression on Fonti and gemma. The progression on Fonti/Gemma not making sense as buddies but not ruling out Gemma as scum just felt like someone reaching a conclusion that they hadn't arrived at before making the post.
    --- Post automerged ---
    That said the way Umami is overreacting to Tom's push and throwing town reads around could be a meltdown with some TMI happening.

17. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

I think the weird tonal thing to me about Umami is when she's not dashing off one liners she's often like. Verbose in a way that makes me feel like she's trying to push out everything she can about a train of thought even if it doesn't go anywhere, to the extent of being stream-of-consciousness or (overly?) narrational. Somewhat supports the earlier "unselfconscious/not overthinking, so town" I guess?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Exaggerated output is a phrase maybe. I don't mean that in an insulting way.

I haven't read what you're referring to, but could you talk more about where you think the TMI is?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Like, draw out what you think the reaction is from a wolf standpoint and why it made you think of that?

18. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I don't agree with you about that. It's just a weird reason for her to clear Fontisian, especially with the progression of her read.

These two posts are a response to Keldeo saying he thought Fonti/Umami were likely v/v or w/w.

And at this point Umami's hard on the "I'm willing to Lynch Fontisian" wagon. This post is less than 30 posts before #293, which we've been discussing.

I not sure I agree with you on that. For example the 2nd paragraph of #293. I just feel instead of explain-y, it feels kind of like, hey guys this is a lot of words and effort even though I'm not really saying anything

19. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

Yeah, 293 was what made me want to post that, Waco. It feels weird, because it's almost... so seemingly unselfconscious that it wraps back around to feeling affected, if that makes sense.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think I can see what tom is getting at with the idea of avoidance wrt Gemma's like, patterns of engagement.

It also feels like there's a continuity in this read from the very first time he voted Gemma, with the pastel colors, and I think the way he almost pushes back on his own push by talking percentages and "what if she's town" reads as genuine.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Haha, I can't say that this helped my understanding but I know my understanding isn't really relevant and I can believe you believe that about Black Widow regardless of anything this game.

What made you say that about here, though? I don't really think I had done much like... confident reading or intense processing when you first posted that read.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think, positionally, the fact that Seratin came in with a townread on fonti but then ended up suspecting both Gemma and tom without tying the whole thing together with tom and fonti pushing against Gemma is... organic, but only in the sense that it doesn't seem invented to feel organic (e.g. TRing tom as well.) Like, he takes a side but it's laid-back, or something.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yeah, I feel like I could waffle more naturally because it was multiball, but it's probably still pretty representative of my scum game. This game and this game are the only others I've played recently.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I really like the breadth of Sloth's focus and the way he's sort of prodding at multiple threads and brings up little things and then drops them.

He isn't actually that tonally different from the game we played recently where he was mafia, but I think there's less of an emphasis on casting things in a negative light, where it's been more like "talk to me about this person?" and less "do you scumread this person?" this game.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think Cuth said that post was legit. I agree the embarrassment would be genuine regardless of alignment. If you forced me to make a read on that post I ~like his sticking to it as more people came out on tom's side, and I think in that post he also mentioned his Waco read but in a way where he only barely touched on it, which felt natural.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, my post about Gemma was like, half me talking through defending her and half asking for opinions on that defense, so in the latter sense Fluff's response was what I was looking for.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh, sorry, missed a sentence about grapefruit. @Sloth, it wasn't whether it was lack of trying or trying/failing - what I was attempting to say is that the "trying" part felt too self-obstructing, in a way, i.e. I felt as mafia he would have pushed harder or worded it more strongly, no matter if people actually got with it. If it feels a bit insubstantial, it is, and then Grape has felt, like, fine to me otherwise.

20. Grapefruit21

Grapefruit21 Muggle

This is the sort of disconnect I was pointing to, behaving like Gemma is scum while stating a town read. Arguing with Tom like she knows he's town (the hunches aren't that good line) while not expressing a confident read that he's town.