1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Muggle Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donimo, Sep 24, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You mother fuckers. I was trying to be nice to them. Do I need to start smacking you around again?

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Let's be honest, this is just going to inconvenience the million people who come here to read all the extra chapters TheSanti has of HP&TBWL after learning that ffn only has half of them. And I'm okay with that.

3. boredrandom

boredrandom Squib

Damn I've been figured out already.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

This is very true.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos Muggle DLP Supporter

Well this is unfortunate but also understandable, is it possible to simply be a dlp supporter and gain entry to WBA?

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

No, I doubt anyone would be comfortable with attaching a price tag to WbA access.

Look around, find some threads that perk your interest and comment on them. I assure you it'll go by quicker than you think and then you can go back to lurking.

7. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

Heh, as a passive member for almost three years, I feel like I can't really complain - I should have posted something, but each time I felt my comments are not significant enough to really contribute to the discussion. It's like... if Martin, Abercrombie and Hobb had a forum to discuss early versions of their stuff, I'd be delighted to snoop, but afraid to make my presence known. DLP is, toutes proportions gardées, something like this in the fan fiction world ;)
    It was pretty convenient, allowing me to get fresh, interesting stories straight from the source, ffnet is great for following stories you already like, but it's DLP where you find best recommendations. All the cliche garbage doesn't make it here. If an author is brave enough to subject his work to DLP peer review, it's probably at least an ambitious attempt at good fanfic.
    It was suggested on reddit that intended victims of this measure were people that registered this year... so maybe I could slip through?
    If not, I'll have to try to earn the privilige, or maybe finally stop reading that much fan fiction ;)
    Anyway, I'm outraged at all the outrage on reddit (and probably in other places I'm not following), it's not everybody's right to be everywhere...

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Obviously this is not a solution, only a single step towards a possible solution. The best way to deal with this would probably be for the mods to only grant access to members on a case-by-case basis. Examine the user's activity on the forum, then decide if they get access to WBA. The problem with that is because DLP is a fairly large community, it would take the staff an insurmountable amount of time to accomplish (even if you take into account that at least a few hundred people would just be ticked off the list right away).

TLDR - I'm with the mods on this one. Swallow the inconvenience. This is DLP. Deal with it.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

*rubs forehead*

It's been said half a dozen times in the thread already, but it still seems to be missed by people complaining about the new muggle status thing.

WbA is not for readers. WbA is for authors. It's for authors to get feedback on their writing before posting it elsewhere. If you want to read it then you aren't required to comment, but if you have no intention of ever commenting on the writing to help them out, then DLP doesn't care if you have access to it or not.

I get why you want to be there. There's more chapters of things to read! Good things! But that is beside the point.

Contribute to the forum. Prove you aren't one of these weird-ass new people lately. It won't stop people who are determined to plagiarize, but it helps. Not to mention that being forced to post for a bit can offer surprising insights.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    QFT because I'm out of thumbs.

11. explorerswb

explorerswb Squib

Alright then.

I've been a long time lurker here, and DLP is one of several sites I tend to check in on fairly regularly, so I'll admit to feeling some annoyance this morning when I discovered my sudden loss of privileges. That said, I wasn't aware of the plagiarism problem, and after reading this thread (and, more importantly, Narf's reddit post), I can't really fault you guys for taking such an action.

And it managed to force me to post after all these years. So there's that.

If any mods are feeling generous, I'd be grateful to have my access restored. If not, I suppose I'll spend some time tomorrow hunting for some likely threads to post in.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Huh, while it may not be fair for a lot of long time lurkers suddenly shut out, they only need about 10 posts to qualify and I can think of a bunch of threads that they could contribute to to make up the post count.

Hell just tag team the funny/cool pictures thread if you don't like talking. Other safe threads would be TOMD, Harry Potter Memes, News, Recommended Books, Story searches that don't require their own thread, fan-fictions worst summaries ect. All which allow you to post content without having to sweat to much on what you are saying. Or just review/recommend some of your favorite stories, the library could do with some new stuff and nobody is going to bite your head off if you have something contributory to say.

I can see there have been a few false starts (presumably) by lurkers looking to up their post count. So perhaps we can also be a little nicer to those making the effort to start discussions.

Just don't do it the way Luke did, although the amount of threads he managed is a testimonial to how mellow DLP has gotten over the years.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  13. noudinator

noudinator Squib

Wheeeeelp. It is inconveniënt for me but understandable for you to do so. i did not know plagiarism whas that bad a problem on DLP. How long has this been going on??

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=29716

This thread documents the latest instances, but there was one earlier this year IIRC.

15. noudinator

noudinator Squib

Ok..... Fuck my inconvenience. It is indeed bad -_-

16. Spacegnom

Spacegnom First Year

Oh well, let's just make this the official lurkers starting their way to 25 post thread (;
    First things, first: Hello everyone, I am the lazy "mute" that has been reading your post for the last 4 years.I understand that WBA is a place to review and criticise not to enjoy early updates. I fully support any measures to help stop plagiarism.

All in all I concur with this sentiment:
    But to address something that has come up:
    Does posting links from reddit and imgur make me more likely to/better at review/ing a story? After 4 years I get the feeling that quite a sizeable amount of people, active on this forum, have never posted a single review.
    So no, WbA is not for authors, it is for all DLP Members who have made more than 25 posts.

But just food for thought:
    Maybe WbA access should be restricted to having written 1-5 reviews in the Review section of this board.
    Also what about new authors who come here, because they heard DLP is the place to get good critique? I remember quite a few new stories started by members with a post count below 25.

Edit: first post: all messed up formating, check!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  17. ScottPress

High Score:
    I'm probably getting too involved in this, but in for a penny...

Probably not. Trying to review something makes you better at it, unless you're a born genius reviewer. The point is, there's a whole other subforum to hone your review skills, available to all registered members - the Library. It's exempt from necroposting. You can pick any story you like and review it. If you're here just to read, I can't believe you can't read a few oneshots from a category that interests you and share your thoughts.

Yeah, no. Mods disagree with you.

EDIT: Also, why the font and color dude?

18. Spacegnom

Spacegnom First Year

Regarding reviews: I know, thats what I proposed... have you even read my post?

Regarding WbA access: apparently not since all "muggles" have <25 posts and I haven't seen anyone with more posts than that complain. (What I meant was that you can now probably lurk in WbA after having posted 25 times)

Regarding Format: I know I messed up.. :facepalm
    I can't seem to preview my posts. Also can't change colour/font to standard.

19. moonpotato

moonpotato First Year

Spacegnom: Formatting looks good now.

Agree with what explorerswb said. It's a little annoying, but I can definitely understand where you guys are coming from, especially after talking to Taure about the plagiarism issue on IRC.

Talking about IRC, does the DLP IRC channel see much action? It was dead when I tried visiting, but sometimes that's just how it is from time to time.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The DLP IRC channel is mostly active in the afternoon/night/early morning for Americans. Early morning is because of all the Europeans and Australians who are on then. There are often lulls in conversation, but if you stick in the room, sooner or later it'll start up again.

Not open for further replies.