1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I initially didn't know what you're talking about here, but a quick Google search brought me this.

Please tell me it's just a sick joke of some kind. The alternative is just too awful to think about.

2. Telrath

Telrath Second Year

Nope, it's legit. A spin-off of FiM, where they attend high-school or some nonsense like that.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ahahahahahahahahaha. No.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Apparently, it's an unrelated spin-off to MLP - basically, an AU that uses similar characters, and teaches the same 'lessons' as the pony version.

No 'crossing over to Earth via some convoluted plot device' and becoming humans from ponies, or anything.

I'm calling this right now:

Cadence is going to look like a slutty schoolgirl-with-a-heart-of-gold; Celestia a MILF without the M part; Luna, most probably, a rebellious-looking teenager/early twenty something.

Oh, and Shining Armour will look like an American football-jock douchebag you want to deck every time you see him.

Oh, wait. That's what a brony will expect. :)

5. Red Aviary

High Score:
    It's seriously got to be the laziest fucking excuse for a show ever. They're just taking the 2,000+ humanized drawings on Deviantart and merging it with a shitty high school AU fanfic.

And yet it will doubtless appeal to the unwashed hordes of aspies that create those drawings and fics in the first place, letting Hasbro roll in the cash and make them think that this godawful tripe is what people want to see. If it wasn't clear before, it should be abundantly clear now that the fans who actually call themselves bronies without a hint of irony are their own worst enemy.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Humanized artwork can be pretty neat, I enjoy it. Doesn't mean I want the new show, though.

And I don't see how the "unironic" bronies have anything to do with liking or not liking Equestria Girls. From what I've seen most "unironic" bronies seem to be against the new show. You make quite a few assumptions and I'm not sure where they're coming from.

7. redshell

redshell Order Member

I think what he's saying is that the fandom has destroyed the show. Which is true, to some extent. The original /b/ronies were a bunch of jackasses doing it to piss people off, until said people gave the show a chance and realized that the writing and everything for the show was really fucking solid for a cartoon meant for kids (which is pretty much expected from a show that had Faust associated with it, but I digress).

The show basically exploded in popularity overnight, which, I feel, is the essence of the shark-jumping. They feel that because their ratings are so high, they can get away with murder.

That said, I didn't mind Twilight becoming a princess. I was indifferent to it, to be completely honest. On the one hand, it was basically this thing that I knew was coming because there's only so much you can do with the magic of friendship before you have to kick things up a notch. On the other, this episode does feel like a bit of a slap in the face. The first half was interesting, like most have said, and, like most have said, the latter half felt rushed, like they'd originally planned two or even three episodes for the this when Hasbro rolled in and said "nope, you've got one, and this is the season finale" so they had to rush it out the door without much polish to it and try to wrap things up in a bow.

It felt mediocre, and, dare I say it, inferior to episodes 1-5 of the first season, before the show really found its feet, so to speak.

On the subject of Equestria Girls, I'm indifferent to it as well. I'll DVR it, give it about ten episodes to be decent, and if by then it sucks then I'll throw up my hands in defeat and wait for the real show to come back, and hope that any more shark jumping is either given a valid reason or just not happening at all.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure it started in /co/, where people found they enjoyed it after giving it a chance. /b/'s trolling came in afterwards.

Unless you're saying the term "brony" comes from /b/rony, which could be true, I have no idea.

I don't know if this is this case. It's kind of hard to pinpoint an exact reason, but I'd attribute the change in the show to Faust leaving more than anything else.

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    They come from visiting several other MLP communities and being repulsed in some way or another. Honestly this thread is the only place I discuss the show anymore.

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As I remember it, /co/ were unwittingly coming around to loving the show, and they spread their memes to every other board. It was initially treated with disgust and mockery, even internally in /co/, but then it sorta flipped and everyone started liking it. Once it was mainstream, the more adamant opposition flared up again across all boards affected.

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

20 Percent Cooler

Discovered this song after watching SWAG.MOV, which, for any of you who haven't watched it, is awesome and by the same guy who did the entirety of the PONY.MOV series. They get dark at times, and take the ponies' personalities to the extreme, but it's really well done, and they're all worth at least a watch if you haven't yet.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  12. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I know it seems like I'm just heaping negativity on this thread, but I'm actually going to have to say the opposite here. I'll admit the first one of this series was funny and the second kind of funny in parts, but the ones after that didn't produce even a chuckle from me. I doubt the newest one is any better.

EDIT: On the other hand, the new Friendship is Witchcraft is better than the last few have been. I think the song in the beginning is one of their best ones yet, controversial subject matter aside.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Just as a reminder, the ongoing MLP comic being published by IDW and written by Katie Cook is awesome. It's pretty much exactly what I want out of the show: good character interactions, humor, adventuring, and it's even got some dark parts (darker than we've seen on the show) thrown in to keep it grounded at times. The art from Andy Price is great too. The current arc has to deal with Queen Chrysalis getting revenge on the Mane 6 after the season two finale.

There's three issues out now with a fourth on the way soon. You can find them pretty easily, one way or another.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. Ihsomiet

Ihsomiet Squib

I personally thought that last episode should have been extended into two episodes. But I definitely have to give it props for a good job well done. Great plot and more emotional than the rest.

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

16. Red Aviary

High Score:
  17. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Here's the first one, with links to parts 2-4 (Banta's post) at the bottom each time.

18. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Double Rainboom.

Jesus Christ, it's finally here. And it is, in my opinion, fantastic.

19. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

20. Telrath

Telrath Second Year

Eh. 6/10
    Too many memes and fandom shout-outs, etc. Nice for a fan-made, but nothing really special.