1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Fluffiness, Jun 30, 2015.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope. I'm laying your suspicious behavior as seen first-hand in our latest bout on opposing sides out for the other folks to see, given you play differently in no-reveal compared to flip games. My meta on you.

Also, I find it deliciously ironic that you'd say "You and X know Y".

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Can you expand on what this means?

Like, as a towny I'm reading the setup and to me, the lack of information we have / will have is kind of intimidating. I kind of want to hash out a "blueprint to town victory" in-thread, but if that's not going to be helpful I can just do that on my own.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with doing that in-thread is that the Scum then know what is expected from you as a player and then they can turn it back on you/town. Work it out in your QT is the best I can offer you for advice at this point.

4. Titus

Titus Squib

Just keep it simple.

Information over analysis is saying facts about setup but not looking at alignment.

Never get comfortable talking about the setup in a flipless game.

Start focusing on alignment.

A player like Math tends to read here awkward but I don't like her start. She is very focused on diversion. [This is analysis.]

You understand the concept of IIoA?

5. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

Information over analysis commonly abbreviated (IIoA) means that you try to poke people for concrete roles and information instead of attempting to analyze what is there. A focus on mechanics at the start limits reads and lets scum twist things. When I get home I will post a link.

Town always has a lack of information. That is the fun of the game for me at least to figure it out. The idea is to come together and find scum and remove them and campaign for who you think scum is. Posting your thoughts versus information is helpful. Granted I suck at explaining my reads but can be right in a weird way. For example last game that I didn't mod I was right about Rubicon scum. Part is figuring it out the other is explaining. Just try :)

E.g. My top scumreads are Titus Zenzao and you
    Neutral on Citrus
    Town on Snowvon

6. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

Citrus confirmed orange fruit-shaped object. Possible scum tell.

But more seriously, no I'm not scum-reading Math because she's doing Math-like things in RVS. That's silly Zenzao.

Question for you, do you offerpraises and offerings to the Deep Ones

7. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Hey everyone, it's passed midnight so I'll check in on all this when I wake up.

8. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Atum's signature reminds me of something...

Hey Xanidel, did you draw scum again?

9. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Why the scum-read on Titus, Mathblade?

10. Newcomb

I don't understand this part.

I guess my point is, if there's no information, how can there be any analysis? I mean what are you going to analyze? It makes more sense to me to talk about roles - not which people are which roles, but about the setup in general and strategies and how we might get around the wolf team's big powers. How could that be bad? If the ideas are bad someone will say so, and if they're good then they're good even if wolves know about them.

Okay, that being said, I will try for an "analysis" post. Here goes. :fire
    I don't like this. If I keep doing whatever it is you found wolfy, (and I notice you didn't actually mention what it was beyond an unspecific "how I asked") then you should vote me and try to get me lynched. It really shouldn't matter if I've played 1 game or 1,000 - if you're sincerely trying for a town victory, my newness shouldn't really be a factor.

---------- Post automerged at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Oh yeah that first part was Titus as well.

11. Xanidel

Xanidel Squib

Hi again Waco. That'd be a no, did you get scum again? Also, question for the mod: could the Chouji theoretically eat their own pill one night, and then give out two pills the next? Essentially banking a pill for a later night?

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Incredible situational, but generally it is not a good thing to discuss roles - because roles are (generally) something that favors town, and scum have more information to piece things together from (so benefit more from dribs and drabs).

The Waco Kid

To get things started.

Haven't read any of the thread past that, read that in a second.

13. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

The opening on me is much too coordinated. In the span of 10 posts there were people piling on. It feels wrong and calculated and something like Titus would do to plot to take out a townie that is being RVS'd.

Newcomb -- Being an Aspie I asked that question. However there is a lot of things to analyze. For example, who is buddying who, who is nice to who, who is lurking. The relationships and how people say things are key.

Namely I get a protown vibe on Atum because he stood up for what he thought. Zenzao in contrast is trying to lead a bandwagon versus trying to read people.

Neutral on Citrus because he always wants a read on Fonti. This line is known as a meta reason.

I like your push of me in that paragraph. That is a good analysis sample. The reasoning is that I was mislynched day one my first few games and never really got to play so that is a hard rule. I won't vote for a true newbie first day period because spirit of the game. The ONLY exception is to avoid no lynch.

About the setup it let's scum game the system. I will type a longer post when home.

14. Quiddity

High Score:
    Actually, busy. Be back in a sec.

15. Titus

Titus Squib

Here's away to think about it.

Information about the setup doesn't tell about alignment. There will be information to help but we cannot massclaim due to the souping mechanic. Just keep a lookout for crumbs and reply accordingly.

Too much focus on setup and not enough on reading people, town will loose.

Open your eyes to cues people give.

Maybe you have an innate ability to scumhunt.

Everyone's reads are important for the puzzle.

========

Remember to put the first things first.

---------- Post automerged at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Vote: Mathblade

Forgot votes need to be colored.

16. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

Vote: Zenzao

17. Quiddity

High Score:
    Post going over is okay - but can serve to distract from scumhuntimg and be of questionable value. Speculating who is what role, OTOH, is definitely bad.

---------- Post automerged 06-30-2015 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-29-2015 at 11:55 PM ----------

Mathblade

That's too defensive a start, Imo. Also don't like the conspiracy theories about a fast mislynch - she knows that scum aren't silly enough for it, and they don't need it this early. Not locked in, though - Math does tend towards awkwardness, although this is not how I remembered her.

---------- Post automerged at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Oh and largely for Newcomb: under no situation do we want to lynch early, but equally under no situation do we want to go a day without lynching.

The lynch is the towns weapon. Every night (generally) the scum get stronger and the town get weaker. It is a mistake to focus on roles and think they will save us, or make picking the death easier.

But at the same time, we lose so much when we cut the day off early, so much time and discussion. IMO that was the final nail in the coffin. Whilst Mathblades idea that we'll lynch him soon is ludicrous (at least Imo) there is a reason for this, and we definitely shouldn't forget that.

Anyway. That's probably me for tonight. Travelling tomorrow, so probably posting far more (and far worse) then.

18. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

I change my mind on Titus. She might be town.

19. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Hello and welcome to Konohagakure, village of leaves.

Hello and good morning .. got round about 30 minutes before I have to leave for work .. so lets use them wisely.

In several games i have seen so far it is normal for everyone to give a fake seer check and i just want to say we should abstain from it this game.
    mafia know who got checked by the seer and thus have an easy time if we do it.
    In the case that Naruto dies we have Hinata that can tell us this and we can try to figure out the copcheck(s) from that.
    Also please be clever enough about how you disguise your checks and dont just say things like "Yeah that Banks guy is my toptown right now." (I only picked Banks because he is never anyones town, lets be real.) without at least a little bit of a reason.

Just wanted to say that part in case some ppl have not read all roles yet.

With that being said

VOTE BANKS

might start reading your interactions in a second if i have some time before work, if not i will do it when i am back in 12-14 hours.

Also if some phrasing and spelling of mine is off, i am german and english is only my 2nd languague, sry about that. :p

20. Newcomb

Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm talking about - like when I first read the setup I thought, "okay, well what if we massclaim D1? That seems like a great move, we'd get a ton of clears." It took me a bit of thought to see how Orochimaru prevented this. (I didn't really grasp in the role description that the power could be used over and over in a single night.)

So maybe there's a way around that? I've been kicking around the idea of, okay, what if we agree on pairing / tripling up all the town roles, and then everyone claims the pair/triple they're in? The permutations for how that could work are really tough for me to game out, but on the surface it seems like it could work - wolves couldn't really risk a coin flip, especially if it's early, right? I mean Orochimaru failing a poison N1 is pretty much the biggest +town equity swing I can imagine in this game. So yeah they could focus-fire whichever pair or triple our best role is in, but I've looked at the setup a few times and I don't really see a town role that we have to protect at all costs.

Anyway, if there's a way to give town an edge through role interaction - and every single person has a role, so it seems like there should be, then I'm definitely interested in bouncing ideas off people.

I mean obviously it would have to be something that would work even if wolves know about it.

At least at this point, I'm way more comfortable trying to game out this kind of mechanical thing than I am trying to toneread people based off like 2 sentences.

If there is some kind of power play we can make, doesn't it make sense to talk about it now, when town's at its strongest and before we get bogged down in navel-gazing about so-and-so "feeling wolfy" or "showing passion for gamesolving"? Not that those are bad things - I mean I'm not against that kind of analysis. It just seems like now is the time to talk about mechanics if we're going to talk about it at all. And I'd kind of like to.