1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Fluffiness, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Delphine

Delphine First Year

I read the post in context ages ago, Pozzai. Newcomb claimed that to not tactically not read his role pm while writing something he intended to post would have made him an idiot. It seems ethically sketchy to me. If I'm reading along with a game and going to replace in, I don't write out all or even part of my replace in posts before I read my role pm even though it would be to my benefit. My point is not that you can't think about an open setup before you get your role, but that's different from his stated intention.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

With the "not an idiot" comment, I meant more so that I didn't read my role PM and then immediately write a roles post specifically from the POV of that role. Like, obviously anyone trying to rolehunt me is going to look through that post, so why make it complicated? I had written up those thoughts before the game started anyway. Why not make use of them when the entire point of that post wasn't to crumb or do anything complicated, it was just to help me understand the game?

Ethically sketchy... what, like you demand that I keep mentally repeating to myself "I am Chouji" every five seconds as I write a roles post?

... wait, who even are you?

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

So, now that the game is over, what are people's thoughts on the setup, and how could it be improved if I decided to run it again later?

5. Pozzai

Pozzai Muggle

Personally I think the poisoner role may be a tad too strong compared to the other scum roles. Had town not completely fucked around day2, I believe this would've been a very easy town win.

It would be interesting to see what happens in a game where scum does not lose that role early, I feel like a lot of it depends on scum always having the option to poison if they so chooses, instead of worrying about the amount of charges they had.

If poisoner hadn't been d1'ed, TMNT and Fonti would both be lost night1, or scum could fake a poisoner death by not using the ability that night, having town incorrectly assume poisoner was dead and potentially clear people off of it and create worlds off of it.

The time of death of Oroch I feel have too much effect in how the game turns out, but given my lack of experience I might be very wrong in that :D

6. Delphine

Delphine First Year

I'm someone who has played mafia on this site?

By using the word ethically I was just meaning to differentiate what I was referring to from what Kalas seemed to be saying (that it would disadvantage someone later in the game to do so.) I guess it's fair that you don't want to retype something that you already wrote for yourself, but I don't think it would have been stupid to do so. Just generally speaking I think that tactically not reading your role shouldn't be a part of the game of mafia in general? Because imo at its core mafia is uninformed majority vs informed minority and role knowledge is something inherent. And so this specifically is a grey area, I recognize, but if I were playing with/against you in the future I would be unhappy if it went further then that?

My intent isn't to attack you though I've probably been phrasing things poorly. This was just something I wanted to explain/discuss to find out if I'm off base about the rules+ meta here because I would like to play here again someday. I'll shut up now though, sorry for ruining the post game fun atmosphere. You played well this game.

7. Newcomb

Ah, that makes sense. Like, if I'd had a whole series of premade posts and they were part of some plan to make something specific happen in the game?

Think I see where you're coming from there, yeah.

I was definitely concerned about "unwritten rules of Mafia," which is why a bunch of my early posts were kind of about stuff like that.

Anyway, yeah, you seem cool / thoughtful, would be fun to play with you if I decide to again.

Cheers!

Take these with a huge grain of salt, obviously:

- I think a shared QT with Hinata isn't quite enough incentive for Naruto to actively try and seek her out vs. checking someone he thinks might be guilty. Maybe if he checks her the pair of them get a one-shot NK or some other one-shot power or something?

- Tobi actually seemed too powerful when we started, but as the game went on I realized how tough it was for him to win. I mean obviously Tobi has a rougher time of it just because of his wincon, but the flip checks innocent / guilty thing isn't quite as good as I was thinking it was. I mean if he actually draws a NK and doesn't die, scum have him pretty much pegged (Tobi or Kiba).

- I think Sai's kill should have unique flavor text. Currently there's no way for Sai to really tell the thread there were two mislynches without getting souped, and that knowledge seems like the more important part of the ability.

- I think Ino should possess passive abilities too. She's such low odds to hit (without a claim in the thread) that it would make the game more interesting if she actually kind of "became" that person. Like, she possesses Hinata she knows who Naruto is. She possesses Kabuto, she can gravedig someone, but if she happens to get checked the next night, she checks guilty. I mean obviously you'd have to game out what happens if she got pills and possessed two people who had conflicting passives (or what would happens if she had, for example, the Judge ability), but she really seems like the most interesting role with all the possibilities there.

8. Pozzai

Pozzai Muggle

This one in particular I agree with, but might've been biased due to rolling Hinata myself.

If Waco at some point in the game felt I hinted Hinata at him, why not just consider me 'innocent' for the time being and try to get another check. I found myself wishing he wouldn't actually check me, cause despite getting a chat, I feel like checking a stronger/more loud person is much more beneficial.

It does not even open up for counterplay where I as Hinata can claim to be Naruto and out 'my' checks, as scum will know I was checked. All that does is out me as Hinata, they can then go through my read lists, and try to narrow down who could be Naruto, unless Sasuke has died.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    GG Town. I haven't followed much since I died, but I think it was a quite well-played game by you.

Sorry for my lack of investment/interest. There were a number of reasons, both in-game and out, but there's really no excuse to distort the integrity of the game as a result. I'm just happy I was Tobi, as it meant I had no faction to feel like I was letting down.

Thanks for the game, fluffy. It was well-modded, and had all the necessary mod-presence, with none of the interference some can have. It's absolutely no inditement on you, but I think this is the last open game I'll play. Closed lose out somewhat in meta-guessing the mod, but nowhere near as much as the hijinks we saw here (and Batmafia). Besides, it's just more interesting IMO.

This.

---------- Post automerged at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

(I don't see a problem with premaking posts. It has advantages and disadvantages for the player involved.)

10. Newcomb

Yeah that's actually something I forgot to do -

Thanks for setting this up, HF. Mod effort appreciated. Also special thanks for extending the Day when I went hiking!

(It was totally worth it.)

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree that the roles could use some tweaking but I think you're all vastly underestimating how strong a shared QT can be.

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Rubicon, FWIW, it's wasn't entirely your fault, but you had been my #1 scum read, and would have been my check if you hadn't been judged/lynched Day 1. My QT shows my suspicions, but I'd been keeping it quiet to hide from Sasuke.

Maybe Titus' gambit had merit, but the painful irony in that in looking to conf!town people she destroyed the cops ability to last long enough to be effective. I'd intentionally held back from revealing my reads on a large amount of players for camo purposes, so when my one big tunnel, that was getting me as a heavy town read reveals as town, well as we saw day 2, I was in trouble. The sad part as Math began to tunnel me, my reads posts day 2 had all 3 remaining scum and the 3p in my bottom five. And that while trying to lead the wagon on the 3p, I get scum-read. Amazing how that happens to me every time I catch a 3p on this board.

And for god sakes MathBlade, CC'ing me falsely with no real proof the i'm not scum. I can't remember the post in thread, but as I said in my QT, yes it'd be dumb for Hinata to straight out claim, but there's a good reason for a different townie to claim Hinata.

Poz, I had you in my final 3 Hinata suspects early in D2, but there was a lot of POE in there that got you that far. That's said even if it's unhelpful for claims purposes, there's is something to be said for getting to cop/mason status. Certainly i'd have liked to have had someone to bounce ideas off of. Part of my logic for Mathblade check was in fact that I thought i'd seen a few crumbs to that effect from her early, and had hoped to either get the QT with conf!town Math, or catch scum impersonating hinata.

I'm just happy I changed of checking Fontisian N1, even if the logic for the change was horrifyingly awful.