1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Fluffiness, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

Unvote

Vote: Jan

Why post before having read anything?

2. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

read what i wrote and you have your answer.

dont read what i wrote and you might have to continue living your life in ignorance.

my post was basically premade because that was a mechanical thing i wanted to bring into the fray from the get go before ppl might be able to make a mistake.

Omw to work now, feel free to ask/push on me .. will come back to it whenever i am back.

3. Atum

Sorry, I must not have been clear. The fact that you didn't read the scant 40 posts preceding your own before posting your pre-made mechanics post stood out to me. Hence the lynch vote.

You still haven't answered the question though.

4. Titus

Titus Squib

Newcomb, Scum tend to have daychat in these games and can counter what we say.

Town identification is key. Certain players can hide information from other players. There are interesting mechanics but they work best if unspoken.

MathBlade, Why the 180?

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

What do you mean "tend to"? It's not like they might - they do. This post as well as your earlier one to me came off as kind of cryptic, to be honest.

If you're correct about unspoken mechanics then I'm not feeling good at all about how I'm going to be able to contribute to this game. =/

Also, this is a request to everyone: I would be really appreciative if people limited or outright didn't use the "@[username]" mention system for me. I'll read this thread a lot and if you talk to me, I'll see it. I use DLP for other stuff besides Mafia and it's kind of distracting, especially since they're routed to my inbox.

6. Titus

Titus Squib

I thought this was your first game. How can you be certain about daychat? I say tend to because a) the setup is vague and b) they tend to have daychat.

My comments are somewhat cryptic but if something needs elaboration. If it is anti town to explain, I will say so.

As long as you don't miss when I talk to you, I will not use the @ sign.

7. Newcomb

I can be certain because it's something I asked about before I signed up.

Re: the "cryptic" thing - that might have been an overstatement. Partly I think it's just me being new and not quite being able to parse your statements. If you're up for it, though...

I don't understand how the second sentence follows the first one. Unless they're two different thoughts? If they're separate thoughts, I have no idea what Sentence Two is trying to tell me.

Unclear what this means.

---------- Post automerged at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

I get what you're saying, but doesn't Danzo save us from No Lynch? I mean unless he's dead, I guess.

That would kind of be an example of a role saving us. :nyan:

8. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

Never mind on the 180. My gut is screaming Titus scum but there is something about the post I quoted I can't shake. Newcomb and Titus's convo feels fake and guided.

I am dead tired just got home.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php...ls#Information_Instead_of_Analysis_.28IIoA.29

That link clears up some terms.

A flip less game means we get no info from mod about dead people.

In contrast a flip game means the mod shares info about the dead person.

---------- Post automerged at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

I am going to bed. Sweet dreams all. I will check stuff tomorrow as I can.

9. Atum

Unless he's hellbent on killing townies in pursuit of victory, a la actual Danzo. Which is distinctly possible and given the setup, even less desirable than usual. Better to come to an agreement on a lynch than let one person decide, in general.

10. Titus

Titus Squib

Newcomb, fair enough on the day chat thing. I will admit that I didn't read the signup thread closely.

Sentence Two is a logical statement from the first. Certain town players, such as the cop, are going to hide information. That's natural. You can work this out in your QT which roles it would be better to talk to each other.

In a flipless game, we don't know who is alive and who is dead on the scumteam. They have counters to the actions discussed, so discussing setup when there are no flips is bad.

11. Newcomb

Okay, either you're being intentionally vague, or I'm being unintentionally dense. It's probably the second one. Maybe it's just your style of writing, but I'm having a lot of trouble parsing your language.

Like, I've read this sentence five or six times and I still can't make heads or tails of it.

...what actions discussed?

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

Or, okay, let me try this: Titus, do you think it's possible that we could come up with a mechanical action we could take as town that would be a net town positive even if the wolves are aware it's coming?

12. Titus

Titus Squib

Newcomb, that sentence states the obvious. With the right chains, town can gain a lot of information. Certain roles acting in certain ways is best but they have to hunt to find the right actions. You should work out in the QT who each role wants to contact.

If we discuss something, scum an counter whatever we discuss. The act of discussing narrows down rolesm

Some things can be divined though if you look at feedback and strategy. Do that.

---------- Post automerged at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

There is only one non counter able action I see. Whoever is in Tsu hood claims immediately. Tsu remains anonymous. There is no neighborizer but Tsu or cop checking the acolyte.

13. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This!

The deluge of quotes is enough.

I don't follow Naruto, so all the roles and names merge in my head.

Plus what Atum said.

I don't understand the Titus-Neecomb tiff.

14. Newcomb

Tbh I'm not sure I do either. If other people don't have a problem parsing Titus's posts, then that's a signal that maybe I need to just read up on Mafia more to be able to get the underlying assumptions buried in her posts. The issue I'm having is one of language, I think. Sentence construction. Clarity.

About the whole mechanics talk thing... I'll just shut up about it for a while. I think I'm correct - I don't see how keeping role theory to ourselves is really hiding anything from wolves; presumably any novel insight I could come up with about the setup, the four wolves could collectively come up with - but I'm not at all confident enough I'm right to make a big deal out of it and make an ass out of myself.

15. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Okay, so I've lost a good deal more money than I wanted to the first night in Vegas and I'm fairly drunk (yes, it's possible those are related). Also, I'm on my phone. That said, I wanna go ahead and get a post out there, because there's nothing more irritating to me as a town player than somebody who isn't around enough to get a read on and is therefore basically given a bunch of passes on account of their lack of play. I don't want to be that thorn in the side of the other town players, so here's what I've got so far.

-I like Newcomb for town. He is raw (lol, like I'm a seasoned veteran myself), but everything feels very genuine from him. His interactions with Mathblade don't feel rehearsed to me, and I think they paint him as fairly town. I don't see the scumminess there, despite a little role talk. Especially positive for him is that his action/questions seem extremely logical (for now. Setup stuff after we have a little more to analyze will be much scummier, but is as good a thing to discuss as any to me right now, which is a big plus for Newcomb.

On the other hand, while Mathblade doesn't actually vote him, I read her posts as beginning to set Newcomb up for later as scum (something to the effect of "I didn't vote him day one because I want to let the newbie actually play a bit, but I've thought he was scum all along.") Titus also has a back and forth with Newcomb, but having read a Titus game or two, I have less of a bad feeling about it. Newcomb's reasoning makes more sense to me, but it seems pretty town Titus (from the one game I read, mind you), and I can see where Titus is coming in discouraging talk of setups.

For now. though, I'm calling it a night. I'll make a exact and better reasoned, broader post when I'm not so out of it

16. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Hi jan friends. I'll only be able to play during evenings EST because work and responsibilities and bunch of other nasty stuff.

I think Zenzao is being his sassy townself, Newcomb reads like newbtown and I like his efforts. Math vs Titus is eh, their scumreads on each other feel too easy or at least not genuine and I don't really want to let this play out because it has the potential to Dominate.

MathBlade, why do you think Titus would plot to immediately take you out when you guys are known to 1v1 each other?

Titus, did you think MathBlade's entrance was awkward because she called Newcomb scum and didn't vote for him?

17. Titus

Titus Squib

Newcombe/Typhoon The problem with role talk is that the only players who can get away with any discussion on setup are people, such as myself, who are incredibly abstract. Even then sometimes people can figure out some information about my role by talking setup. Best to avoid it entirely unless there is a universally true statement.

Saying things such as "don't vaccinate me" or "possessing me would be a good idea" only help scum solve the game.

Snowvon, Yes. That and her 180, whoops I didn't mean it nonsense.

Qqqq, it's not a tiff. It's me trying to explain why setup spec is bad.

18. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Avoid talking about your own role and your thoughts on others' roles as much as possible. If you think someone is a likely night kill target, do not say so, unless it gives some other information. Keep in mind that your world view is influenced by your role (for example, the vigilante is more inclined to want a lynch even if they think the target is town while the judge tends to prefer a no lynch), so try not to let it become obvious in your play.

Mechanics talk is useful. All information is helpful to scum to an extent, but most information is /more/ helpful to town.

Some general thoughts of mine are:
    1. We should always lynch and the vigilante (Sai) should always fire if they have the opportunity.
    2. The DOB (Sarutobi) should keep in mind that DOB shots usually hit town, and if everyone else in the game is telling you that your scumread is town, there's probably a good reason for it.
    3. Tsunade should always aim to send her slugs to town. Sending them to the scumteam gives them more information than I would like. Also, she is within her rights to get a full roleclaim and info drop when she targets someone and to divulge no information herself.
    4. Conversely, Naruto should aim for scum. A town circle is not that useful when two non-town roles check as town.
    5. Sakura should try to vaccinate town players who will be around at endgame. Don't bother with people like me or Titus.
    6. Do not share your role. Do not hint at your role.

No, you're not.

Vote: Citrus

This post is inconsistent. Had Citrus actually been excited about rolling town this game, he would have done /something/ to start analyzing it.

I think Zenzao's push on Math comes from a genuine place.

That's not what it means. Jeez.

Information instead of Analysis is when someone makes observations on things occurring in game but then draws no conclusions from them. It's a scumtell because the person doing wants to be seen doing /things/ but isn't trying to figure out the game. Setup analysis on it's own is not IIoA, especially if the person doing it is analysis other things in the. More to the point, setup analysis is immensely useful when so many players are new to hunt setups. You should be aware of this, because if we had any setup analysis in the last Tinyhunt game, you would have known not to make an obvious roleclaim Day 1.

Also wrong. One can get a lot of reads from just watching people talk about mechanics a bit. You two need to stop trying to cut this off. Also, poking people for concrete opinions is always townsided. Poking people for role information is called role hunting, and that's completely different.

I also like Atum's response in post 26, specifically the "that's silly, Zenzao." There's no malignant intent.

I've got to go, so I'll stop here.

19. Titus

Titus Squib

@Fonti, What you describe as IIoA, I call posting full of hot air. Of course t is likely a distinction without a difference, as most unanalyzed facts tend to be setup spec.

I like my vote on Math currently but your Citrus vote is OK.

20. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Finally got around to reading this and my biggest scum read is Mathblade. She just seems... all over the place with her posts. Too defensive. By association, Snowven, Zenzao, and Titus look scummy just by being the ones who've interacted the most with Mathblade. Of those, Titus looks the least scummy.

When the game started Snowven immediately joke voted for Mathblade which I know is something scum sometimes do and a little later Mathblade arbitrarily reads town on Snowven despite that being Snowven's only post at the time. Snowven's next post looks needlessly cautious, but that's probably just my confirmation bias talking.

Zenzao seems like he jumped on Titus's vote and Snowven just said he looked towny.

Nothing set in stone in my head, it just seems like scum distancing themselves from each other in the early game.

Newcomb reads like a third party, but could easily just be new. He definitely thinks a lot like I did when I first started playing.

With that in mind VOTE: MATHBLADE