1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Fluffiness, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Citrus

Citrus First Year

What're your thoughts on TMNTurtwig?

Feel free to ask me anything else/more, which obviously applies to everyone

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I'm going to garcia this (That's what it's called when you answer a question before the person how's being asked gets a chance to. This is generally discouraged.) because it's a minor thing. Citrus and I were joking.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Oh, right, I wanted to mention this as well:

PSA to people who are new to DLP:

I (and others who use this site for more than Mafia) may modify my signature at some point(s) during the game. This is a creative writing site and it's common practice to include links to your stories in your sig. If I publish something new during the course of the game (a distinct possibility), it'll get added to my sig. This is a game-irrelevant action and no one should read anything into it.

4. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Sure thing. It's basically just some silly banter, at least from my end, as I wanted a few more pages of posts to occur before I started getting engaged. Also, Fontisian typically is pretty good at reading me when she's town, and her read on me thus tends to be informative on her alignment as well, so I wanted to start drawing her attention immediately this game

5. fontisian

Actually, TMNT, can you explain what your idea of third party play is and why Newcomb matches it?

6. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Pfft my answer was better. That's why you wait to answer and don't garcia.

7. Pozzai

Pozzai Muggle

I am kind of null on TMNT. I don't know people and their styles of posting much in this game, hence why most of my reads was on people I know.

This is why I asked you to expand on your reads, I don't know them and have very little experience on forums, but if I get you to openly say out your reads, I can watch people react to them(mainly if they find them bullshit reasons) or ignore them, in which case I can consider the reasoning behind them correct, or at the very least not incorrect enough for people to adress them.

8. fontisian

Pozzai, how does it feel to roll scum on a forum game for the first time? Exciting? Absolutely terrifying?

9. Newcomb

Citrus, fonti: Thanks, that was helpful. Based on those posts, I'm having a hard time imagining a world where you're w/w together, if that's anything.

10. fontisian

That's a mistake on your part. Citrus and I play together a lot. We're more than capable of faking that kind of interaction.

11. Pozzai

Pozzai Muggle

Is it atypical for TMNTurtwig in general to focus on scum over town? I know in video mafia some people like making large towncircles (hai Fonti!) while others tend to try to find scum.

I'm typically the towncircle person, I'm not very aggressive by nature, and a bit too naive and trusting so I believe people have the best intentions untill proven differently.

That being said, I do find stuff like "hey, I'm not gonna post anything put I poked my head in to say I've been here" posts like TMNT's first post rather "iffy".

---------- Post automerged at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

I will tell you once it happens Fonti.

12. Newcomb

Noted, and moving on from it for now.

@Xanidel - I noticed someone has a sig quote about you tending to lurk a ton. You do seem to be viewing the thread a lot compared to how much you're actually posting. It's my understanding that this is generally considered antitown. Thoughts?

13. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

Newcomb -- Sorry to break your rule, but I wanted to make sure you saw this amongst the wall of text. No one would every worry if you modify your sig or not. Using a signature to convey game information of an ongoing game is against the spirit if not the letter of the rules. No one cares if you modify your sig.

General thoughts:

Snowvon -- I miss being able to call you fluffy :( I need a new nick for you. I loved your RVS and it is town!Von :D I am posting why I think your reads are off later, but work with me to break this thing :) We need to paint the thread with a towny rainbow :D

Oh and Snowvon -- To answer your question, it's because when she is scum I usually find her scum buddies pretty damn quick and if I'm wrong on her being scum I'm hilariously wrong and post game it's generally obvious. Secondly, I'd be an easy mislynch. I'm a known defensive player on D1 lynches...see DLP.

Citrus -- Null really hard to tell anything. I want to see how this develops because I some how always have a way of fucking my Citrus read up. Oh and Titus has been scum on this site more often than I can count. It's probably her default state. Definitely a town lean for the TMNT vote.

Xanidel -- Null with a scum lean. Xanidel has been on these forums and knows that we don't like setup spec early but offers no thoughts on reads or on the thread and just asks a setup question. Don't like it.

TMNTurtwig -- Posts thoughts and contributes to the discussion. I think those thoughts are a bit ridiculous. I did do a "bus my buddy" in a previous game, and I will link to it upon request. Since 1) I'm not scum and 2) I would rather put on body armor and lead people into battle and command them where to go. 3) According to the thread (which I need to review all the questions asked) it was mentioned that someone asked his fluffiness if scum have day chat. If they do, there's no reason to blatantly bus like that unless you thought there was a major scum slip.

This being said I think you are null with a scum lean, because proposing me and Titus scum together doesn't make sense. That pile on my wagon as Atum pointed out is really bad.

Zenzao -- This post here says it all. https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=827843&postcount=21 When Zenzao was scum and I posted a non town read on him, he immediately jumps to "Nope" and then attempts to discredit. When Zenzao is town, he just calmly explains why it is not the case. Combined with attempting to hop on a random RVS vote and say how his case is not RVS with me having a whole two posts. The majority of which were about me hinting at being drunk for Pride weekend. If being drunk is a scum tell then watch out this weekend too because I probably will be drunk posting people. Unless one of those RVS posts is a scum slip there is no reason to form a wagon that early. It limits information AND does nothing to help town AND it was for a bullshit reason as I have clearly said I wouldn't vote for a player in their first game NUMEROUS times and I will find the links if I need to. My first vote (which was RVS) should not have garnered that much attention from him. Very defensive.

MathBlade -- Me the towniest town to ever town. I feel like I have an ion battery refueling my energy to post :D YAY....I shall go grab my weapons now along with my courage. :D

Atum -- Out to a fiery start. This is unique and I like it. Reminds me of Atum's first game here. Town read.

The Waco Kid -- Town read. Post 66 really says a lot for me. It is more than just who they are voting for it is why and push back. Having the honor of watching one of his scum games (beautiful might I add) I think this is a town game and I want to see where this goes.

Kalas -- Wakey wakey posty posty...Come to the party...We have shinies.

fontisian -- While I disagree on your thoughts of the definition, I posted a link from a source that is not in the game so they can understand. Going to move on from that.

I like the advice except until we get to the use vaccine on those who should be around at end game. I disagree. Vaccine should be used on your biggest town read. Always. Or if you have mechanical information that the person is town. That vaccine may be the reason the person lives. Telling this to scum can enable scum to try to game the system. Make scum have to worry about how they kill people. Granted Titus is probably scum so that's one less worry but that sentence is whole bunches of awkward.

I was going to put you in town read camp until that sentence. For now I'm going with null with a town lean.

Jan -- I put down in my QT that I had a town read on you but I can't for the reason of me remember why. Then Atum's pushback...Maybe the alcohol hasn't warn off...I'm going null for now, but gun to my head I'd say town for hopping on with very little time. What's with the push on Banks? Like poke people playing. After what I've seen I want to meet this Banks person :D

Newcomb -- Very strong scum read. If this wasn't their first game I'd be voting them almost to the point of tunnelling.

1) They continue to post mechanics discussion after being advised numerous times not to do it.
    2) They post something blatantly obvious to try to start the discussion. The O scum having a failed poison night one would be the most protown thing ever is just baaaaaad. It's just an egg to try to start discussion and make us feel good about doing it.
    3) The "fake" conversation with Titus. The entire conversation gives me the heebie geebies.
    4) Post 47 is all kinds of defensive over the word cryptic. newb!Scum tend to over apologize a lot and it's something I look for in new players.
    5) Has not posted a single read yet. I feel that based on seeing the pattern of players a townie player would at least guess at a read. Almost every game with new players in it I have seen them at least attempt at a read regardless of alignment unless they have day chat. It's like he doesn't want to get pegged as having an opinion.
    6) Newcomb is clearly coached somehow. w/w I have never heard of this abbreviation and he's using lots of abbreviations about mafia for a newbie. He's either talking in a scum chat or not new. I highly doubt 3P.

Typhon -- I don't like your posts for the start. Something just feels "off". The Titus and me scum together again is just weird (as mentioned earlier about TMNT's paragraph) and it's like a justification. If I'm wrong on Titus scum you'd end up being the counter to that probably. I like you posted thoughts but they feel icky. Strong scum lean.

Titus -- Stated my thoughts already but the opening feels manufactured with Zenzao and Newcomb.

Qgqqqqq -- I'm townreading Q for meta reasons. He needs to be more helpful and contribute though.

Banks -- I haven't met you and you sound like me on mental steroids. Talking to yourself sounds awesome. :) Come say hello :D I want to see another uber poster in action.

Pozzai -- I am putting them in a null, scum lean right now. Asks others to expand on their reads when they have contributed little to none.

------------

My overall wall is:

Towniest on top scummiest on bottom. I do not do the color thing as it hurts my eyes. :$

Myself :D
    Atum
    Snowvon
    The Waco Kid
    Q
    Fontisian (I call this out because I have my gut is screaming to move you out of the null category, but my heart says no. I hate arguing with myself. It's like I am possessed.)

(Null players -- by lack of post or read...Not getting a mention til they do stuff)

Possible scum or 3P but not confident enough to see if they form a team yet with the other scum reads. Gun to my head, Xanidel 3P, TMNT scum, Tython town.
    Xanidel, TMNT, Tython

Prob scum
    Titus
    Zenzao
    Newcomb

---------- Post automerged at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

Ugh...Why is that your understanding? Again this is supposedly your FIRST game. How do you have this understanding of some acronyms and not know other terms? This is very weird and offputting. This practically screams newbie in day chat. I really hate my no voting a person on their first day rule.

<< SPIRITUAL VOTE NEWCOMB>> (his fluff please don't change the vote count or move my vote from Zenzao)

14. Citrus

Citrus First Year

You don't know how hard I'm chuckling right now.

For transparency, in the last dozen games we've played together Mathblade has almost always read me as the exact opposite of what I was (Town when I was Scum, Scum when I was Town). Like to an uncanny degree, INCLUDING trying to account for this wrong reading me in the latter half of our games together.

15. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is the right instinct. Helpful stuff like this is perhaps the easiest to fake, and even when people are aware of it, can still shift them towards the positive.

(Which is not to say that being helpful is scummy, only that it is not towny. It is entirely inconsequential to readings of alignment.)

16. Xanidel

Xanidel Squib

I lurk mostly because I don't have any ability to scumhunt, so everyone comes off as equally potentially scum to me. I'll probably be more useful after day 1 when we have actual vote and death patterns to link to people.

17. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

I know...I has a sad and I'm laughing at myself. The only concrete read I have is that you aren't 3P...And if you are then...I need more socks :p

18. Citrus

Citrus First Year

What do you mean by vote patterns? Why aren't the vote patterns throughout the day useful, before we reach night/Day 2?

It would be really useful if you posted more, even if at the least to just show you're around. Talk about your thoughts on how players are interacting. Do you think players are probably on the same known team? Do you think conversations between players look genuine as to them not knowing what each others' alignment is?

19. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, this is more a personal thing than a general, because I come from a different site to DLP, which has quite a different meta than here. Still, my personal view is that you shouldn't pay attention to the who's viewing at all, as its simply non-helpful. Sometimes people leave tabs or laptops open to the thread, when not viewing. Sometimes people can't respond because of work or other commitments. Sometimes other people are in invisible mode. Sometimes people post on other parts of the forum, preferring to compartmentalize mafia. And so on.

Moreover, it's an aspect of play that can be intrusive onto other aspects of forum/real life - forcing people to invisible mode, not post on other parts of the forum, or not look at the thread unless they can post at that time. And none of this makes for a positive/fun gaming experience - and it doesn't, generally, tend to actually give tells.

20. Newcomb

I'm trying really hard not to slap an OMGUS vote on you right now.

And I know that term because I actually put in the time to research this game before I agreed to play. Do you think I'd show up for my first game and be like "hey guys what's Mafia?"

I know some terms and not others because, surprise, this game is hugely complex, different sites use different terms, and there's only so much reading a guy can do in ~ a week.

For those curious, I did my research by reading 2+2's POG, last year's Champion's Game, the entirely of this year's game 1 and game 6, and skimming games 2-5.

If you think I'm being coached, I'll take that as a compliment, I guess?

I really, really, REALLY don't like that I'm your top read and you're not voting me. I don't believe this "spirit of the game" thing would really prevent you from trying to get me lynched at the end of the day if you truly thought I was scum.

By some people. Zenato said he didn't see the harm in it, Typhoon said he was thinking the same thing, and fonti said it was actually a good idea. I still think it's a good idea, if only for my own edification.

See that's not blatantly obvious to me. It took me a while to reach that conclusion, and it changed the way I thought about the game. That's why I'm so focused on setup talk right now - because I feel like if I have an incomplete/incorrect idea of how these roles work, I'm going to really fail at this game.

Yeah, I can't really help you here other than to say it wasn't fake. Titus's language - like, the literal way she constructs sentences - was / still kinda is giving me some problems. I wanted to know if that was just me, or if other people were having the same problems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a town read on Typhoon and fonti, because I could very easily understand the thought process behind their posts. I have a scum read on TMNT because of that whole "nothing set in stone" thing. I'm not at all confident in those reads, which is why I'm not really trying to make a big deal of them. When I have a read that I feel confident about or that's worthy of discussion, I'll post it.

Like I said... uh, thank you? If you truly feel like a newbie!town wouldn't be able to make the kinds of posts I'm making, then really I can only take that as a compliment.

Math, I can't quite tell how serious you are about all of this. Are you just reaction testing me, or do you honestly feel like I'm scum? Be aware that if it's the second one, you continuing to not vote me WILL get you tunneled by me until one of us is dead.