1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naughty Bear : 10/100

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Gamefly shipped this to me today.

Awesome idea, you're a twisted teddy bear who just wants to be left alone, or at best, befriend some of the nice cuddly bears, who want nothing to do with him other then to make fun of him. So he flips out and decides to whack them all.

Narration/Sound. The goddamned narrator. This dude has the most annoying voice in the fucking world, and he says naughty seemingly every 5 seconds when he's talking, which is entirely too much. I actually muted the damned thing several times. You scare the bears by jumping out and yelling BOO... nonstop. Same exact sound, like a hundred times a level.

Gameplay. The idea is to scare the good teddys into going insane and committing suicide, or scaring them to gain points and then killing them yourself. The biggest points I've gotten so far are when the mayor stepped into a bear claw trap in the middle of the gathering, and I jumped out of the bushes, ultra scared him by spinning him around and screaming BOO. The ultra scream made him go insane, and then second BOO made him turn suicidal and bury his hatchet into his chest, while about 7 bears looked on.

The weapons themselves are pathetic. There's a single kill animation for each weapon, which feels cheap. Baseball bat, ax, magnum, assault rifle, stick, leg of meat, golf club, machete, katana, maybe a few others I havent seen yet. All have 1 animation each. There's a few others, shoving a telephone into a bear's mouth, slamming their head into the car door, or setting them on fire by shoving them into the campfire. Considering that they're damned teddy bears full of stuffing, I shouldn't have to smack the bear with an ax a dozen times to kill him.

There are also traps, bear claws and mines, which are nigh impossible to set without being spotted, these fucking bears see you from forever away, which is realistic I guess, yet they can't see you if you step into a 2 foot grass patch, as a 5-6 foot bear even if they're standing snout to snout with you, unless they're the ninja class bear. The traps stun the bears, and generate fear and insanity the few seconds they're stuck, and enable you to run up and ultra scare them. Problem is, you can only carry 1 at a time, and they're very, very limited spread out around the level. Luckily you can reuse them, but after using one and slipping into the grass, going back out and grabbing it to reuse sucks. It lets them see you and sends them all into panic, and it's pretty easy to die.

Difficulty level. Really insane curve. First few level aren't bad. Then you get to episode 4, where you need more objectives finished to unlock it. No problem I thought, what objectives did I miss. What do you mean you want me to go back and play through the stages I already passed 4+ times each to do objectives? Kill all bears. Drive all bears insane. Don't let any bears escape. Don't take damage. Don't be seen. And if I do say, kill all/drive all insane/don't let any escape in the first play though, why the hell should I have to go through and play it again 3 times to finish those objectives?

The not be seen, and not take damage ones are obscenely difficult. The minute they find the first bear body they start barricading up into houses, and it's damned near impossible to get all of them to come out. If they're in a house, forget the don't be seen. There's one where you have to kill them all, but you can't hit them. That one blows and takes too long.

Levels. Small. Nearly identical to each other. Cluttered as shit. Protip, if there's a serial killer wandering around, and you A) know where his house is, and B) that he likes to hide in clumps of grass that you are apparently afraid to walk into despite the fact that it's waist high... MOW THE SHIT, OR GO TO HIS HOUSE! each mission starts up at his house, which the level is maybe 100 feet by 100 feet if that. You have to kill one bear or one item, so you understand what it is you're supposed to be doing in the main mission. Then you walk through a gate that leads to an uber small area with a few bears, you complete your objective, and you go through another gate into a similar sized area with a bunch more bears, and you do your objective there.

Then you're done and either you complete the other 4+ objectives for that level, one at a time, or you move on to the next level, where the enemy types change, but you do the exact same thing again. But each time you finish a level and objective pairing, you get a new hat! The hat might let you survive one more bullet, or run a hair faster, or hit a hair harder.

AI. There is barely any. You want to make sure you get them all dead? Run and sink the boat, there will be one or two, sabotage the car, there will always be just 1, and go hit the power box outside. Sometimes they'll march to the car to try to leave like lemmings and you can let one get in, slam his head in the door, walk off, and repeat 10 seconds later. Sometimes they'll try to repair the power, but just stick a trap there and kill them when they do. If you leave the phones on, they call the cops, and then you have a single cop wandering around. If you wait and dont kill him you might get several wandering around, and their guns on you are punishing fast.

Bugs. I've glitched though walls, been shot through walls, etc. Game's frozen up on me a few times as well, very annoying. Sometimes they instantly repair stuff, sometimes they'll stand there for minutes and not do anything. Sometimes when you sneak up behind the bears your scare won't work, or it'll have you just boo, instead of grabbing them in a choke hold and screaming into their ears. Sometimes you won't get the ultra kill prompt on a clearly wounded, crawling on the ground bear.

Games like this are the reason I don't buy console games anymore. It's gameplay is the exact same the first 30 minutes as it would be on hour 5, it's unbalanced as shit, the difficulty curve is sheer stupid, and it's buggy. This game plays like an xbox live arcade game, and has no business ever being priced at full game cost. It''d be an hour long, maybe 2, if you could play right through it, it's much longer instead, due to them locking the later levels until you go back and play each of the first 3 levels many times each.

Graphically it's outdated, but for what it is it's fine.

Camera. Oh god the camera. I don't understand why it's become normal for developers who use third person camera, to put the fucking camera 5 feet from the guy's shoulder blades. While it's moveable, it jerks around nonstop. When you perform an ultra kill or scare, it zooms in and shows the face of the victim. Sometimes it gets stuck in that position, or in the building it clips through. But everytime it stays in that position, stuck or not, until you move. When you're trying to do hit and run strikes against 10 army dudes with automatic rifles, the camera gets you killed. You go to run, only the game thinks you must want to go in the opposite direction, oriented off where the camera is looking, so you wind up running into death.

I had fun and laughed my ass off for the first hour, bored out of my mind for the next 3. Everything is identical, and they mistook challenging for mind numbingly annoying and repetitive. I laughed my ass off at the user views on gamefly, you've got people who would of had to been smoking something to write these reviews.

There's so many of these that I swear the developer had to go post them themselves. Then you've got the folks who rate it a 9 for concept only, and then spend their entire review bashing it worse then I did. I give it a 10/100 for the idea, the picked on teddy going apeshit and killing everything is such a random idea no one would of ever done it. I give them a 0/100 for how they did handled it. This isn't a 60$ game, it's a 5$ Live arcade game.

2. Midknight

I would of liked to see more stealth, or I dunno, more interesting things. The houses are copy/pasted from map to map, no exaggeration. The only difference in the final stages of each level seem to be the number of houses and length of the path. I picked it up this morning trying to finish it and rage quit. I got to the part where one of the cuddly bears picks up a cook book, only he grabs the wrong book off the shelf, and it's really the Necronomicon, and he summons zombies to the island. Yeah you read that right. Nibbles the cook has a goddamned demonic summoning book just laying around.

The difficulty level goes from easy/medium to retarded hard/impossible. The zombies see you in the bushes, so there's no hiding whatsoever, and the soldiers attack everything. You get points for terror even when the zombies kill the bear? You have to swing on the zombies forever to get them to die, and unless they just take more effort then normal bears, I haven't driven one insane yet. I also havent figured out how to make them stop spawing either, which makes the no hit challenge impossible, there's just too many of them, and no way to hide and get a second to try to make a path of attack. I'm stuck and can't progress anymore unless I go back and play the first levels again for the hundreth time, because I didn't spend long enough terrorizing the bears to get gold on every level. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend an hour+, on 4-5 stages each, of the first 4 levels, so 4levelsx5stages = 20+ hours to unlock level 5 so I can spend 5 hours working on gold for the same level, to get to level 6.

It'd be one thing if each stage was different, but it's not. You go through wipe out everything on Level 4 how ever you want it. Then you do it again multiple times to finish the challenges. I almost got the kill all the bears before the zombie does one, but then I ran into this:

Rage was had. At that point I said fuck it.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The concept is interesting but it sounds just awful. I mean, it could have came out good but from what you described it is a complete waste of money. Subsituting repitition for contrent.

Have you played the new Zombie map on COD Mid?

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

5. Midknight

Oz got it. I loved MW for it's nuke level. Everything after that, they're just trying too hard, and the multiplayer to a BF2/Tribes/ player is a ADD nightmare of annoyance.

6. TSN

TSN Auror

imho, no fps multiplayer will ever beat 2142NS titan map.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quake ftw.