1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need help fixing my PC

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Styx0444, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Protip: If you're fucking up Windows XP, you're doing it wrong.

Get Ubuntu Live, put it on a disc, Migrate your data from one partition to the other, delete the XP partition, reformat to NTFS, reinstall XP. Migrate your data back, if you wanna be that much of a bitch about it. That much aside, Win 7 will play your music as well, as anything else you want to do. Its like XP, only it has a new skin, and probably a few more or a few less issues with it.

Other than that, you could try reseating your RAM, you might have knocked something around if you've been dicking around inside the chasis. Make sure no wires are touching where they shouldn't be, make sure everything is connected properly.

Its basically like Xiph0 is saying, power supply issues usually occur in post when all system hardware is being booted. If you have something on there thats a power hog, then it'll make it to post and then crash.

Try removing the video card (cbf to remember if thats the right thing you said or not) and running it without that, etc. Trial and error.

This should fix any and all issues you have.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Lol Oz. Schro's name is Daniel, bro.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Thanks so far guys

But I can't find the system disc. I'm looking for it, but for now I need to work from the angle where I don't have to re-install.

Does anyone know how to enter safe mode on the XP side? I asked my brother, but he can't remember off the top of his head and didn't have time to really think about it. I thought it was delete, but that didn't do anything after I told it to load XP. Before I get to that menu, delete takes me to the system menu (or I believe that's what it's called).

Also might be worth noting that it does load up XP. Give me the logo with the bar under it for the right amount of time, but after that the monitor shuts off and doesn't come back on no matter how long I wait. The actual computer seems to be working fine.

May also be worth noting that the virus/spyware I thought it had but I couldn't find seemed to lock out the keyboard and mouse. I know it didn't just freeze because a banner ad kept playing.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Got it, was F5. Loading safe mode didn't work, tried the 'last good configuration' thing and that failed too. Looks like I'd better start hunting for that system disc, unless someone has a better idea.

EDIT: Found the disc.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010