1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. Your justification for posting it here. What do you rate it?

2. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Sorry, forgot about that.
    It is added now.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Again and Again

By: Athey

The Do-Over Fic - a chance to do things again, but this time-To Get it Right. But is it really such a blessing as it appears? A jaded, darker, bitter, and tired wizard who just wants to die; but can't. A chance to learn how to live, from the most unexpected source. slytherin!harry, dark!harry, eventual slash, lv/hp

Rated: Fiction M - English - Mystery/Supernatural - Harry P., Voldemort, Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 28 - Words: 236,491 - Reviews: 3,772 - Favs: 5,931 - Follows: 5,923 - Updated: Nov 12 - Published: May 25, 2012

I was really damn bored so I decided to give this fic a gander. I never read slash fics and fics that mention Voldemort/Harry interest me even less. However I saw this fic posted under a number of favorites lists and decided to give it a go.

Despite the fact that Harry admits to being gay there really isn't much overt gayness. The story premise is pretty interesting so far and avoids bashing which is usually a big thing in slash fics. The chapters are relatively long and are able to hold your attention.
    I'd give this a 3 maybe a 4 if I where so inclined for a good idea and being able to hold my attention.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8149841/1/Again-and-Again

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I love shite fics like this. Wrong Boy-Who-Lived and Dimension hopping Harry has always been my favourite trope. The sentence structure is rather dismal, often missing out the correct word (with instead of without, where instead of nowhere), the characters are gross parodies of real life and it's full of bashing.

I just love these for some strange reason I can't put my finger on. It's a decent time waster if you're a fan of these tropes like me.

5. SeekingSerenity

SeekingSerenity Third Year

High Score:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2568830/1/Before-Me Try this it's so shit it's hilarious. Nearly died laughing several times while i was reading it.

6. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

"Full of bashing". Except the Potters and also Ron in the beginning it's comparatively moderate in relation to what for example one guy called "Sprinter" did.
    Additionally, the beginning is really awfully catastrophic and of course the author hasn't become a great writer overnight. But it is indeed the case that the second arc is far better than the first.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

The depiction of Lockhart in HP and the Prince of Slytherin is actually fantastic, especially with the last chapter. This is a Lockhart that I actually enjoy to read about very much.

8. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

That last chapter was generally very good. If you only look at the second arc, I feel this story to be definitely library-worthy - some things the author tries there are really interesting.
    If only the first arc hadn't that much flaws...

9. noura62442

noura62442 First Year

The first half of Prince of Slytherin is fucking terrible. The second half isn't amazing or anything but it's a hell of a lot more readable and enjoyable.

10. frantic

frantic Boosted

Prose so purple it bleeds sequins. I'm in love. It's absolutely atrocious in every way, but I've never had a more obnoxious grin on my face.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The reviews of "Before Me" are also quite amusing...
    "You have a talent for words and stringing them together in a way that is all at once beautiful an equally terrifying in context."
    Ah? Let's see...
    "Sorrow and determination mingled together in a symphony of destruction."
    How about ... no.
    And you can almost literally see the author congratulating himself on his supposedly sophisticated choice of words.

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

For Love of Magic

By: Noodlehammer

A different upbringing leaves Harry Potter with an early knowledge of magic and a view towards the Wizarding World not as an escape from the Dursleys, but as an opportunity to learn more about it. Unfortunately, he quickly finds that are many elements in this new world that are unwilling to leave the Boy-Who-Lived alone.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Harry P. - Chapters: 2 - Words: 21,844 - Reviews: 304 - Favs: 726 - Follows: 879 - Updated: 9h ago - Published: Dec 15 - id: 11669575

So I've been following this author for his Naruto line of fics which so far have been pretty good and fun to follow. After 2 chapters it's pretty obvious that this fic is going to be an indy powerful Harry. Though we need a couple more chapters before things start to get really interesting. So far Hermione gets killed by the troll and Harry is a Ravenclaw. I'd give this a 3/5 for now and possibly an up vote once we get a little further into the story.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11669575/1/For-Love-of-Magic

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Any particular reason why the author moved up the timeline of events?

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I suppose the author just felt like it. His other stories completely changed the age of Naruto and changed his personality.

15. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    He said that he didn't want to bother remembering how stuff worked back in the 90's.

Honestly, from the way his fic is shaping up I don't think it will be most of DLpers' cup of tea.

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's lazy, therefore I can't be bothered to read it.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Trust me, you're better off.

Even though it's only 2 chapters so far, it's quite insufferable.

Aside from the fixation of "Muggles are better than wizards", expressed in the usual way of "Why would I use quills and ink when I've got ball-point pens?", there's also this particular passage:

18. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

You had me hooked right there.

Too bad the fic is pretty awful right now. Gringotts had managed to make me cringe once again, and it generally suffers from the same "adult-child!Harry" that's so common in Ravenclaw!Harry fics.

19. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Eh, I'm steeling myself through those parts in the hope that one day this fic will reach similar quality levels to his Naruto fics, Reaching for a Dream and its sequels. For now it does seem unlikely.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

A painful as it is to say that really is why I gave this fic a shot in the fist place simply I really liked his other fics. I was of two minds about recommending this one simply because there where only two chapters and I thought the fact that he didn't stick with canon would be a problem with DLPers.

Not open for further replies.