1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New metroid game... from Team Ninja?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Jun 4, 2009.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What the hell did they do to Samus's face. I guess she'll be clad in armor most of the time, so the Dead-Or-Alive facial features hardly matter.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm honestly looking forward to it. I just hope that Team Ninja remembers to scale back the difficulty. They are making Metroid, after all.

4. Mr Strike

Mr Strike Epic Awesomeness DLP Supporter

Fuck no. The possibility of a 'Nintendo Hard' Metroid with some Ninja Gaiden style action is only thing keeping me from raging at the imminent rape of Samus.

I've been disappointed with the recent games from both franchises so I'm pretty torn about this. Really, really hoping it'll be a mix of the best parts of Metroid Prime 1 and Ninja Gaiden 1, (the sequels can blow me) but I'm not optimisitic about it.

5. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Yay! I hope it'll be good.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Don't get me wrong, I actually like hard games, I just realize that Metroid is not- and should not be- that kind of game by default. Sure, include an extra mode that makes it bullshit hard; just remember to leave in a default mode that isn't.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ I lol'd. But I'm seriously excited for this. The Prime series was some of my favorite games under the sun. And the thought of Samus tackling a monster twice her size, getting it into a headlock, then blasting the shit out of it's face is :awesome.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

You could at least tried to be subtle :p.

10. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Face it. The gameplay looks like Super Smash Bros. and the cutscene(?) graphics look like Dead or Alive or Final Fantasy.

Most likely, I'll still buy it. >_>

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ... I don't own a Wii?

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They haven't even improved on the look. From that video, it looks like a game from the same era as the original MP. Team Ninja isn't my favorite group, either, so this is a pretty bad let-down. I just hope I'm mistaken.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So all that innuendo wasn't even intentional? XD I don't know if that's funnier or just plain sad.

14. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

How could you expect the graphics too improve that much when it is on the Wii? The Wii isn't exactly up to par with the rest of the current generation of consoles.

15. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Well not to rain on the glee parade, but I'm somewhat skeptical. Itagaki (the guy who created Dead or Alive and the new Ninja Gaiden games) left Team Ninja and took most of (and the most) talented staff with him. I'm not sure that what's left of Team Ninja will be able to make a great game.

It's ironic, but I desire from Metroid exactly what I derided from the new Mario Bros game; a new sidescroller. With Mario I find the idea of Nintendo simply releasing a new New Super Mario Bros fairly irritating, but I haven't played a good Metroid sidescroller in ages (at least since the GBA). Here's hoping for a decent Metroid DS at TGS or next year's E3.

16. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

I played the first metroid prime and loved every second of it. Just hard enough to give me a challenge and fun enough to keep me going. Never got around to 2 or 3. I heard three was really easy and really dumb on the plot level.

Viewing the cutscene it seems nintendo wanted to do a much better plot with it than just blasting bad-guys. Too bad that's basically all that metroid is and what everyone likes most about it.

If you slow the trailer down around the end when the woman in the labcoat and heels walks in you'll see a sceen that armored Samus is bringing up and putting a code into. It says something about bioresearch or growing weapons. Then a woman with blonde hair walks in and we hear..."I'm Samus Aran."

I just think I blew away the entire super-secret of Samus Aran according to Team Ninja. She's a super-enhanced clone made super tough by the army! Super soldier anyone?

As to the game's graphics...it reminds me of the Twilight Princess' for the Wii. And if they are similar than it will be decent but not awesome.

As to the 'moves' she was pulling. I think they are trying to incorporate some martial arts into it. But to be honest, the graphics some how seemed a little off. Stiff might be the word, like maybe there graphics colliders were sketchy. Can't pin it down, but on the whole it looks dramatically disappointing. Ah well.

I hope I don't feel the same dissappointmet when the next Zelda game comes out. Oh wait, I forgot Link's now a train conductor. :(

--byl, out.

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

From my understanding, it's more the exploration than the "blasting bad guys" bit. That's why so many people love Super Metroid, despite the fact that the "bad guys" are by and large pretty terrible. They're there as placeholders; they aren't the main point.

18. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Yes, you read that right. Canon goes that space pirates killed Samus' parents and she was then raised by the Chozo who gave her the awesome abilities and armor.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  19. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

What are you referencing in my post? The fact that I was making assumptions that what is "Canon" will change in the next game based on the trailer? Because from the looks of it that is what is going to happen. But hey, it was my opinion mayhap a bit long-winded, though. Sorry to have forced you to insult my words and thus me. My apologies, kind sir.