1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Platform Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sechrima, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Can anyone here recommend some new, quality platform games? I hadn't played a platform game since Sonic & Knuckles on the Sega Mega Drive, but then I gave Mark of the Ninja a try and really enjoyed it. It's a solid platform game, but also a good stealth game. The mix of the two genres was handled really well.

Some others that look pretty good are Apotheon and Ori and the Blind Forest. I'll probably buy both of them soon.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I was playing Ibb and Obb which is a co-op platformer with my sister, but requires two people to play (Not one, not three, only 2). It's best to stick with one person throughout so that they know how everything works, as some mechanics are left alone for a while before being revisited. Biggest problem is that it has to be played with someone else.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Big fan of Rogue Legacy.

You enter a castle as a knight. Immediately, you get your ass kicked by typical Castlevania-esque monsters, from a eyeball that rhythmically shoots fireballs to flying wizards that cast spells at you. You die, and die often, but every time you die, you level up your character based on the amount of coins found in the previous castle.

There are also bosses. What makes the game great is that, every single freaking time you die, the castle rearranges itself. The forest is to the far right, the dungeons below, the tower above and bosses scattered throughout.

As you play, you improve stats by using coins, and you also receive rewards from chests in the game. Runes can give you the ability to fly, absorb HP and MP, get more coins from harder enemies, less coins from easier enemies, etc. etc. You unlock equipment by finding it in the game and then using coins to equip.

The thing is, I've died hundreds of times, and its not yet boring. Each time, you get to pick from three different characters. They all have handicaps, and they all have benefits, and different spells.

For example: You get a Spellsword, who can use all three spells (scythes, which fly from above you, dagger, which goes straight ahead from you, and fire protection, which is a circle of flames that burns enemies), but he's Colorblind (therefore, you are now watching a black and white version). He has high HP, but low MP, and is very tiny on screen.

Next time out, you get a Barbarian (power is a shout that hits all enemies on screen), but he's really, really big on screen (making it easier to hit him, but easier to hit others as well) and his HP is low. MP goes for days. You can only use an axe that flies in an arc.

Next time its different.

The game is made more difficult because your coins don't transfer into the castle (until you level up). At first, you lose 90% of your coins (so if you had 1,000 and didn't use them one levelling up, you would only have 100 when you enter the castle). Max is losing only 40% of your coins.

You can sacrifice 60% of what you win to lock the castle - making it so that it doesn't rearrange itself. You can level up things like amount of coins won, critical damage, crit percent, health, mana, armor, equipment weight, attack, and open up new skills (like your impervius effect after being hit by an enemy being longer, thus allowing you to get free hits on enemies while you're 'unable to be hit')

Anyway, TL;DR, the game is a 5/5 if you like side-scrolling games with lots of fights and power ups, and it is difficult enough to keep you occupied for A LONG TIME. If you don't like to be frustrated often, I would suggest playing a different game, but its totally worth spending the first couple hours getting integrated.

5. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I'll agree that Rogue legacy is a great game, though it focuses more on the Rogue-lite aspect than the platformer.

6. theronin

theronin Order Member

7. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Spelunky is possibly my favourite game of all time. A pretty simple roguelike platformer that turns out to be very difficult, with a load of cool hidden levels and stuff. Very fun, insanely addictive.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1001 Spikes. The new Rayman games are phenomenal. As is Guacamelee, which is more action than platforming a la Apotheon, but it has some really fun platforming too.

Sound Shapes is cool too.

I'll admit that your tastes make me a bit wary though, implying any Sonic game is 'good'...

9. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I was 11 at the time.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hah, fair enough.

11. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Let's see... I playing enjoyed Vessel - Steam link - It's a platformer with some puzzle aspects using fluids that I found frustratingly enjoyable.

Super Meat Boy was fun - Steam link - Though I'm not sure of a way to describe it that doesn't make it sound incredibly weird, which I suppose it most definitely is if I'm being honest.

Not sure if either of those really count as 'new' though.

12. theronin

theronin Order Member

The mention of Meatboy reminded me, you should definitely try out I wanna be the guy, and its successor, I wanna be the boshy.

IWBTG is best experienced without looking it up first to see what it is. Enjoy! :)

13. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber