1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Obi-Wan (Disney+)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Right? The more I think about it, the more I wonder why the hell Reva was even in the show. All she did was distract from the characters everyone actually wanted to see, to the point where the final climax was not Obi-wan and Anakin, but Reva's "redemption" (and boy is it a fuckin' stretch to call it that). Her role could have been served equally well by pretty much any expendable Inquisitorial mook(s). She had an interesting character concept, but one that really needed to be explored in her own story, not shoe-horned into someone else's.

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Despite how the series could have been better, I somewhat doubt we'll see any significant improvements when it comes to Disney+ Star Wars shows. The series finale for Obi-Wan had a viewership of 1.8 million households, an increase over the 1.5 million of the finale of Book of Boba Fett and the 1.1 million of Mandalorian season 2 finale. So it's not like they have an incentive to change.

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

There's a guy who cut the series down into a two-and-a-half hour movie called the Patterson Cut. It's pretty good, cutting out a lot of unnecessary fluff and stupider moments like the Leia chase scenes, and making Reva seem a lot more badass. It's a bit choppy at places, but that's inevitable with this kind of cut.

Per forum rules, I don't think I can link to the site directly, but here's a video talking about it that should give you some directions of you watch it on youtube:

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The watched the Phantom Edit of the prequel years ago. Was pretty good over all.

5. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Consider for a moment that Ewan MacGregor's Obi-wan was pretty much the one thing from the prequels that both prequel-lovers and prequel-haters all agreed on. He was the one actor/character that everyone wanted to see more of on-screen. And with all the hype, all the ads, all the anticipation for the show... they only saw a 20% increase in viewership over their last thoroughly lackluster series. Disney may not recognize it yet, but that is a financial disaster for them.

Obi-wan is likely to be the high-point of their stream ratings. Everything else is pretty much played out. They've already done Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, and Ahsoka. They're planning on bringing Thrawn into things, but I'm not sure if they'll get a whole lot of new interest there. They can't even do much more of Luke, Leia, Han, etc., because the sequels already thoroughly ruined their characters, and Disney refuses to budge an inch on their "all roads lead to Rey" stance. The return of Ewan MacGregor to Star Wars as Obi-wan was more highly anticipated than literally anything else they've done or announced so far. And it only bumped them a measly 20%.

I would be thoroughly unsurprised to see the ratings for everything else drop down to Mandalorian or sub-Mandalorian levels from here on. Much like how each Sequel film made significantly less money than the one before it, I expect to see Disney's viewership steadily drop off once people have finally had enough disappointment from the mouse.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to watching this, and it was actually a lot better than I'd expected going in. Those expectations may have been subterranean, but still a pleasant surprise.

High point was Vader's duel against third sister in part v. Not entirely unrelated to her being the low point.

The start was a bit slow, but worked out okay as I could watch the first three back to back. Having to wait a week for each to come out might have really hurt my experience. I didn't really notice the whole Obi-Wan losing the force bit at the start which I was expecting to put me of, but it was handled without too much whiny angst.

Shame we didn't see more baby Luke, but at least baby Leia was handled okay, by the standards of child roles. Somewhat annoyingly precocious, but no more than fitting her character and didn't quite stray to fanon-hermione tier.

It definitely felt like it fit neatly into the SW universe, not really adding anything new but just showing some extra content in the timeline we already knew. Which is a nice change from Disney's heavy handed retconning.

Not a must watch, but worth watching imo.

7. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Like I mentioned a while back with the Patterson Cut, there is another fanedit in the works for Kenobi by a guy called PixelJoker95 under the project name Kenobi: Trials of the Master. PixelJoker also released a fanedit of Kenobi at around the same time as the Patterson Cut, but that release overshadowed his (not necessarily in quality, but in popularity). It helps that PixelJoker is a VFX artist who has worked on official Star Wars projects, including Andor.

Rather than just cutting the show up into a movie-length feature, he is including new shots, VFX changes, lighting edits, alterations to fit canon correctly, reshoots and more. He hasn't announced an official release date as of yet, but the hope is that he will have it out by May the Fourth.

Here are the first two trailers. More videos and updates can be found on his channel: