1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Obi-Wan (Disney+)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Nov 12, 2021.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Liked Vader killing all the random civilians, didn't like how the fight looked like a lackluster cheap imitation of Luke vs. Vader in Empire.
    Absolutely hated those escape shenanigans.

I at least was led to believe, that the escape path would be a straightforward path to the shuttle.
    Leia and the rebel chick enter and run. Shitty sister enters and follows.
    Rebel chick leaves (okay, maybe it isn't a straight tunnel) and somehow finds Vader and Obi-Wan in that big mining facility without running into the shitty sister, who by the way somehow managed to overtake Leia on the way to the ship without her noticing.

They are lucky they have Ewan McGregor's acting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  2. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, that whole sequence was... underwhelming. It had its moments, but things like the escape tunnel issue really screwed with my suspension of disbelief. That and the question of why Vader lets him go at the end. I mean, maybe he decided that he liked the hunt more than the finish there? Give Kenobi a taste of the torment he's going to go through before letting him go to savor the chase all over again? That's really the only explanation I've got, since it doesn't make a lick of sense otherwise.

Still, here's a fun video about an Easter Egg from Kenobi Episode 2 for fans of the old EU:

TL;DW: Kenobi may have just stealth-Canonized Corran Horn.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I didn’t like this episode, I didn’t hate it, but the Vader scene was the worst bit.

The kid actor continues to impress.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

she has a very distractingly funny way of walking though.
    I can't help but chuckle everytime i see it

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

The names on the Jedi safe house have a bunch of obscure Jedi from Legends as easter eggs, including Hal Horn

6. Othalan

Wait, they included Hal Horn? Hal wasn't a Jedi, he was a CorSec officer that Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon's wife married after Nejaa died in the Clone Wars. He was Corran's step-father, who gave Corran his name to protect him from the Empire's Jedi hunters.

7. yargle

yargle Professor

I'm fairly certain he decided to let Obi-Wan go after Tala shot the stormtrooper and seeing the loader droid, in case he can use tracking Obi-Wan to bring down a network. Perhaps even some other Jedi. What else, to Vader's mind, could hurt his hated former master more than using him as the way and reason to kill even more people?

Besides, it's clear to Vader, as he said, that Kenobi is now only a shell of what he used to be. This Obi-Wan would never have left Anakin burning on the shores of a lava river because he couldn't have managed to beat Anakin in the first place. His victory over Obi-Wan is no longer a matter of if, it's a question of when. Just as death itself is inevitable, so too is Darth Vader.

Why else do you never see him run in the episodes and almost never anywhere else? He doesn't need to.

Tangential note: I say almost never earlier because while you don't ever see him run in live action, Jedi: Fallen Order, or Clone Wars/Rebels cartoons I'm fairly certain he does on Ryloth in Lords of the Sith. And it probably happens in the comics, but I've never been a comics guy so hell if I know.

8. CrackedMind

Hal Horn is Nejaa’s son, originally named Valin Halycon, who took the last name of his father’s corsec partner Rostek Horn after his mother remarried post-Halycon dying. He was training as Jedi as well, before his father died pre-Order 66.

Corran is his son.

9. Othalan

D'oh! Yes, that's right. I accidentally skipped a generation there. It was Rostek Horn who was Hal's step-father.

10. CrackedMind

I mean Corran being the grandson of a Jedi doesn’t make all that much sense now that the Clone Wars were 20ish years before the Empire instead of like 40. I think Hal would’ve have to have been like early early teens when he had Corran for it to make sense.

11. yargle

yargle Professor

After trawling Wookieepedia to refresh some days, in Legends Nejaa was born 60 BBY, and went to fight in the Clone Wars in 22 BBY, during which Hal was supposesly 10 which is the fucked part. Because he finished the CorSec Academy in 18 BBY, got married and Corran was born. If Corran was either a few yeara younger or Hal a few yeara older it would work better. But that's the nature of the beast pre-TPM Star Wars. Things regarding tge start of the Empire and end of the Old Republic are all fuzzy.

In regards to Obi-Wan: Pretty sure its just and easter egg and doesn't really matter. Pretty sure we'll see Quinlan though. Kinda hope he dies. Dude was a dick.

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I must admit (in a way I could ignore with the sequel folk and the red guard) I feel like the inquistor’s force powers and their very being (as someone who isn’t a massive Star Wars follower. Films and clone wars on YouTube, the samurai Jack one) feel like they detract something from Vader and the Emperor.

I could be on board for force sensitive and light saber user maybe. But then being basically sith with developed force powers. It makes Vader as the apprentice and the rule of two feel stupid? What’s the copium / EU logic, Cus I’ve not seen others say this so I guess there’s a reason.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I mean the answer is that Darth Sidious doesn't really care about the rule of two, is it not?

Edit: also, to be Sith is more than just using the force to do bad shit. Just as to be Jedi is more than using the force to do good shit. They're religions. I wonder if the inquisitorius knows enough to follow.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reason is that they are not Sith. At all. They have virtually no deeper knowledge of Sith techniques. They are all either former Jedi who gave into rage and pain during their mindfuck torture sessions, crazyballs like the Grand Inquisitor, or force sensitives who were brought up by the Empire.

The Grand Inquisitor is the most knowledgeable and skilled of the lot, full-tilt obsessed with gaining acess to Jedi secrets that were kept from him when he was a Jedi Trmple Guard, and he's an absolute chump compared to Vader. They are deliberately kept in the dark in all forms of Sith-ery.

15. yargle

yargle Professor

They're just punk-ass Dark Jedi. Dangerous, but not true Masters of the Dark Side.

16. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Isn't that what any competent Sith master should do, keep disciples in the Dark?

17. Othalan

To an extent. Their ideology ("religion" is, I think, not quite the right term) does require them to produce more Sith to eventually replace them if they want to leave any kind of legacy. Of course, that assumes the Sith Master is not one of the few who discovered some method or another for achieving immortality. In that case, all bets are off and it's up to the whim of said immortal master whether or not he ever trains a real apprentice.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is also honestly force shenanigans at play too. It’s not just knowledge. The way the books read sometimes it’s almost like an acknowledgment by the force that one has attained that status of Sith or Sith Lord.

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I very much doubt it happens in the comics. Comics Vader is the guy who goes "So. You've surrounded me with a fleet of starships, forced me down onto the planet, and are now going to try to kill me. I'll just casually pull your entire fleet from orbit to the surface with me and explain to the survivors that I'm not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with me."

20. yargle

yargle Professor

I think he does a bit of running in the one where he, when in the middle of a giant crowd of rebels all pointing guns at him says "All I am surrounded by is fear and dead men." But I'm not too sure. But I prefer to ignore comics so I don't care how they characterize anything.