1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Obscurial Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord_Lucifer_Exe, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Lord_Lucifer_Exe

Lord_Lucifer_Exe Squib

What do you mean?

2. haphnepls

haphnepls Groundskeeper

Back to the topic -- I've just seen can someone write this tag, and to me, it simply doesn't hold as a good idea. Him being what he is, there's no doubt there will have to be a whole lot of hurt/comfort so he doesn't snap up and destroy half the city or whatever. From what we know it's pretty much uncontrollable. Outside of that, I don't see how it effects the canon plots in a non-obscurial way, because the only way to survive it is to tame it, no? So what this power-up, or power-down actually do to the story, outside of introducing Scamanders to the plot? The pairing just seems a random throw in that make most sense to you, or whatever.

So why don't you try to write it instead? Prove to me/us that it's not a terrible idea. Show us the strengths of it that I'm missing. I'm honest when I say I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong and get a decent story out of it. I'll be happy to throw a review as well, no matter my personal feelings.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeahhhh... what @haphnepls said. The whole premise sounds wildly unappealing to me, although I did get a chuckle out of the requirement to randomly make Newt cosmetically immortal for some reason. What do you have against old people? Lol.

I only vaguely recall the FB movie, but I think I've nailed down why it's not an appealing premise to me: from what I understand, obscurials basically don't get to act. They don't have controllable magic and they are by definition emotional wrecks. They're not protagonists.

4. Lord_Lucifer_Exe

Lord_Lucifer_Exe Squib

In my opinion I'm not the best of writers. I just really like coming up with ideas. Tho maybe one day I might right it if I believe that I've gotten better at writing.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I'd put in a spoiler warning, but at this point nobody gives a shit anyway.

Point is, that the Obscurial power can be learned to be enhanced and focused by using a wand.
    You can see Dumbledore fighting Credence who learned to control the power somewhat

It's decently powerful at destroying things, but no match for a top tier wizard even if they hold back noticably.

Problem is that it doesn't change the fact that being an Obscurus is a death sentence, even if a more powerful wizard can survive into their teens.

So a legit Obscurus Protagonist would have to come to terms with the idea that they're going to die soon, no matter what. Which can have some interesting potential in stories.