1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Of Blacks and Malfoys by Lord Methene - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Philly Homer, Feb 10, 2008.

1. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just read the fic. I don't usually bother with nonHarry-centric fics, so I just let it go. Then, I saw that horrid attempt at cartography and decided it had to be changed, and then I thought I probably ought to read the fic I went and did it for...

Brilliant. I've not seen as much depth and subtlety in a political fic ever. IP82's Potter Resistance is the closest I can recall, and this goes much, much deeper. A well thought out plot, with very deep characters, motivations, history... to anybody else generally wary of nonHarry fics, seriously, give this one a try.

Second point - very well done use of minor canon characters. We learn about Andromeda/Ted backstory, and how she got kicked out the Black family. The changes that Bellatrix undergoes, the meeting of Narcissa and Malfoy... Methene does a great job of portraying a wizarding society that is caught between its traditional past and the sudden burst of changes taking place. Dumbledore is very convincing, a blend of manipulative politician with genuine desire for good.

My only conern right now is Voldemort. He is a very, very good villian, in that he's smart, evil, and not just one dimensional. However, it seems that he might end up becoming so brilliant to the point of absurdity. This hasn't happened yet - no worries so far - but for instance, his manipulation of Greyback despite Voldemort's name being published as whose group vanquished them... such things will need careful consideration. Also, curious as to what will happen with regard to the Law of Unintended Consequences. Surely Voldemort is not immune.

2. Methene

Methene Auror

Ah where to start responding? Well a thank you is obviously in order, both for the map and the review.

I had started with the idea that no one was going to do an action for merely the sake of the side he was on. "Hey I am evil suddenly! Crucio!". Then I read a post about Bella's saggy Azkaban tits and I thought of showing that transformation. How did we get to see her going from one might assume semi-normal pureblood witch to fierce devotion to Voldemort and insane ramblings. Same goes for any other character. I try to match it up and make it seem as though they are doing what they think right or are following their beliefs.

Dumbledore is portrayed how I see him to be. Although the three main forces on the political arena (Abraxas, Richard Potter, Dumbledore) all have very different ideas on how things are to be done, they are all working for what they consider is best. However, in the situation I have created, there are bound to be some infinite frustrations for Dumbledore, and hopefully I have shown small acts where we see a little of manipulation for perhaps just his own benefit. (Ted Tonks comes to mind)

Lord Voldemort. While he is not the main character, he is in fact, through his actions driving most of the plot forward. I work most through him and I try to make his actions both have justification towards his larger plan (rather than him sitting on a throne and torturing someone different every night), and believable. If you've watched Stargate you'll remember that the zat gun was able to disintegrate someone on the fourth or third shot, can't remember. The writers regretted introducing that and eventually it was not mentioned. Fenrir Greyback is somewhat in that situation. I had initially planned him kept hidden and enraged every time to use as a method of frightening whomever needed some reminder that his family might end up with fur in odd places if they don't do things the "right" way. Now, I am stuck with him and must have a way to work with it, but I regret introducing the concept in the first place. Oh well, that is that.

I will tell you from now that Lord Voldemort is not immune. For now he is running on the wave and is popular with the masses in some regard. The mystery certainly adds to it. There will be change in the future and some may begin to question and wonder. And that's all I'll say...

Thanks for reviewing.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I really like this fic and it shows how much you've put into it, but I think you missed something in Canon: around the time of the defeat of Lord Voldemort and Sirius hunting down Wormtail, Cornelius Fudge wasn't the Undersecretary, he was in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes and among the first on the scene after the Hit-Wizards.

4. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

This is a wonderful political story.

Sometimes I chuckle when Lord Potter is politically whipped. However, is there ever a moment when he and the "Potter Family" shine?

5. Methene

Methene Auror

Goddamn noobs necroing threads that are two years old. I wish they'd learn to stop doing that and look at the date.

While I might get burnt for the action, in my defence I do have one excuse.

Following my recent trip to the cinema to see the Deathly Hallows film, I felt that tinge, that unexplicable desire to right some wrongs that I perceived. You all know it. And so, after a long pause, Chapter XV is the result.

I am sorry for the necro, but if anyone remembered the story I thought they'd welcome an announcement of sorts.

Link-Click me Click me

6. Maximus

Maximus Squib

"sorry for the necro" ?
    Are you kidding me? you've made my day.
    Hell , you've made my year !