1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Of Noble Purpose by Maugan Ra - T - Bleach / Quest

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Nemrut, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Of Noble Purpose
    Author: Maugan Ra
    Fandom: Bleach
    Rating: T
    Length: ca. 180k words
    Link: Sufficient Velocity
    Summary:
    So yeah, Bleach quest. It's about a girl from the Shihoin family and it's about raising in the ranks of the Gotein 13, to make a name for yourself, redeem your family name and ultimately also take revenge on Yoruichi for her disgrace.

It's pretty neat, all things considered. Quality of writing is pretty solid, the cast of original characters is pretty interesting, the way the votes go is rather good, I quite like the clan and nobility aspects and overall I really appreciate this sort of exploration of the Bleach world, especially the shinigami. The handle on canon characters is pretty good, especially given that we see them through the eyes of the main character and how that re-contextualizes them accordingly. Best example is Soi Fon who I generally like but in the quest am actively rooting against, simply because she is rather firmly aligned against our MC, what with the second division no longer being under Shihoin control and all, thanks to Yoruichi.

A lot of interesting stuff happening in the story and while I can't say that there were any particularly memorable scenes or conversations or anything, it was an overall pleasant read that had me engaged throughout and I am still eagerly checking out new updates and am overall rather invested in the rise of the MC. Updates aren't exactly regular but still frequent enough on a few times a month.

I took the liberty to link the reader mode but for anyone who wants to avail themselves to the discussions can do so with the click of a button, by clicking on view in thread on the top right.

A generous 3.5-4/5

Abandoned: See this post for details.
    Updated by Zombie, Sept. 24th 2018.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Deft

Deft First Year

If you enjoy the Bleach universe I think it's worth the read. This is the author's second Bleach quest that I am aware of and he improved from the first try.

The MC is a much more fleshed out character than his previous attempt as are the rest of the cast. However I find the story to be a bit slow paced, not enough action to justify the word count overall.

The writing is serviceable, I wouldn't call it inspiring but the fight scenes are done well and the characters struggle, a rare thing in quests and especially a shounen quest.

3/5, but definitely a read if you are a Bleach fan.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I've been reading this. I really like the format. And I like what I'm seeing about the main character, at this point. I haven't seen anything I've absolutely hated.

I really liked the inner world bit. There was something rather engaging about it when it first dropped. And the characters overall dismissal of everyone else because of their position, and how they're trying to live their own lives, but in the context of what her family will approve up.

I find that maybe this will be super limiting down the road if that continues to be a theme.

I like the exploration of the First Division so far.

I wouldn't have minded the other two divisions either, because there aren't many stories that showcase the Fourth or the Fifth (?) division in any great detail. Or atleast if they do, they've not been memorable enough for me to comment on.

I think in large part, what I like about this is that the world itself appears as large as it did in canon, and it keeps this, despite focusing more on the First Division. I get that she's a monster hunter type deal. But there are so many fics that focus on just the dealings of soul society, but the outlying Rukongai is just fucking massive. I've always been fascinated in the way that people seem to portray it. The inner areas are more prosperous than the furtherest reaches, and I can't quite remember if that's canon or if its a fanon idea that people have really grew to like.

Over all, I'd give this a 3/5. Rating is subject to going up. I like the format of the story. I like the player system they've established. I'm coming into this a bit late, so I'm not likely to be voting in anything towards the future. I'm interested in seeing some of the things that is covered on the character sheet as they are shown in the story.

Good find.

4. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

This is another story I found during random browsing on DLP. Sadly between then and now the author decided to abandon it, which is very unfortunate, because I enjoyed it a lot. The quest aspect doesn't really do much for me, so I just read the completed chapters as a singular story.

The author made a really good choice even before writing anything by limiting himself to Bleach canon up to around the Arrancar saga. Kubo really off the rails afterwards (or even during, honestly) by adding more and more pointless characters and spending so much time depicting their unengaging battles. Of Noble Purpose instead stays firmly in the bounds of the conflict between Soul Society and Hueco Mundo and fleshes it out, which serves a good backdrop for the protagonist's personal story.

5. Zombie

Well that fucking sucks. You got a link to the post where they abandoned it or is it because its not updated in a bit? They do have a tendency to go on hiatus a lot and other shit because of personal life.

6. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. Zombie

Its decent because it makes the Bleach Universe more interesting, because there are very few stories that utilize it well, and most of them are crossovers. Thanks for the link, I'll get the title updated.

8. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

Definitely. Soul Society just begs to be fleshed out and giving Shinigamis something concrete to defend against is an important part of it. A tug of war for the human world with Baraggan's Hueco Mundo served that purpose well. In fact, Nel's invasion of the human world was my favorite part of the fic. And the other flesh-out elements (crime in the Rukongai) weren't bad either.

Honestly, I'm pretty salty about how the real Bleach turned out. The Fullbring arc was just bad and the Quincy War arc turned out to be deeply unsatisfying (seems like Kubo wasn't given enough of a heads-up to write a proper ending). This fic made me imagine how a better version of Bleach could look, which is why I liked it so much.