1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official GoF movie discussion thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Lord Necros

Lord Necros Slug Club Member

Ugh is this movie worth seeing yes or no?

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

To be fair I'd say yes. It does have a few moments that are sweet as hell. If you didn't read the books, you wouldn't realize they cut out a few major parts, which in reality it didn't cripple the story to have it cut.

Its mostly alot of minor-medium things they cut that will piss us all off, along with utterly retarded stuff, like Dumbledore's OCC-ness, Moody being played by a fat ass guy with a terminator eye, complete with mechanical noises. Crouchs acting all together, etc.

I was most hoping to see the World Cup, despite me hating the Quidditch scenes. To have the minister go from announcing the start after such a kick ass entry by both teams, especially Krum's moving pictorial, to totally skipping it all over, and going to the black klansmen style DE's.. ug.

The DADA class with Moody was decently done, but the man just screams bad acting, and he's far more playful then Moody should be. Him casting the unforgiveables actually embarrassed me with how bad it was done. The constant blatant swigging of the polyjuice potion is rather annoying.

I'll eventually do a movie pick apart thread, sort of like I did for HBP, if anyone wants me to, maybe with screenshots.

It's watchable, many of more times watchable then more so then PoA, but it's still far, far below what it could possibly be. The CGI is where it shines, because then you can ignore the bad acting, but it'd be nice if they'd fire the costume director, and casting manager.

Note one, Hermione is so much more effing annoying in this movie then the others.

Note two, the twins playing the Weasley twins are goddamned, dead one, perfect. I love these guys.

3. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Its got one majorly good point, the dragons where done amazingly, i mean, dragons are very abstract creatures to visualise and are, whenever i've seen them moviewise, done badly, but the Horntail rocked, i also like the touch of when voldie ripped their stupid masks off ( thank god he did ) the black mist was a nice touch

Not that anyone would, but dont see it twice, i was bored, free ticket and it sucked so so so bad the second time, i was actually counting down the time for it to finish. Its good the first time but the second time i was cringing at parts, its one of those movies where it should only be seen once

4. Midknight

I liked the mist alot, sorta makes the mask like an enchantment, instead of a solid object. I like that approach alot better then believing the DE's have a full robe and mask on them at all times, or that they transfigure clothes into DE gear when they're called.

The Horntail, while looking good(I've seen quite a bit of movies that've done dragons just as well, Reign of Fire and Dragonheart jump to mind instantly), disappointed me. They wasted so much time on the stupid thing chasing Harry all around the school, that they easily could of cut parts of it out, and added in the very important scene with Snape/Sirius shaking hands and the Order being reformed.

Not going to bother with a pick apart thread as I don't have the time to do it proper atm, so heres a few gripes:

Rons jealousy was fine, in the book where it jumps days and days at a time, it's impossible to think that they hadn't had a few arguments that could of happened off screen.

Hermione/Watson .. ug. Yes, she looks more ladylike now finally, but the bitches annoyance factor just keeps going up

The maze was horrible, wow hedges that grab you, phear.

Voldemort .. he looked like a damned alien, not snake like enough for me. He was far, far too thin, it looks as if Harry could of killed him with one punch. At least make the man sturdy enough to stand up in a strong wind.

The wand effect was horrible. They must've run out of cash to do the CGI for that or something, b/c you have a hard time seeing what's going on, and they don't bother to explain the first 2 are James and then Lily, followed by Cedric.

5. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Forgot about reign of fire, gd movie, and have never seen dragonheart, so i suppose im not such the expert i thought i was on dragons

Also, i totally agree with the important scene bit

I can just see them screwing about with the DOM fight and ruining it now * shudders*

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I just watched the movie last night, and while I admit it was better than the rest of them, that's not saying much.

Things I liked:

- Voldemort. I liked the way his movements were rapid and snakelike, and very smooth.

- Moody (Crouch) transifguring Malfoy into a ferret then dumping him into the front of Crabbes or Goyles pants. That was a nice touch, especially when one of the Slytherins out his hand in Goyles pants to get Malfoy out.

- The scene where Moody (Crouch) introduces the unfogivables. He laughing during the imperius portion wasn't very in character, but the rest was good. And I especially liked Watson's acting during this part. She's actually gotten better.

Thing's I hated:

- The DE's robes. WTF is up with the hood? That's not scary, it's clownlike. And it reminded me of the KKK. Maybe that's what the director was going for, comparing the KKK's racist policies against Voldemort's and his DE's beliefs. But that doesn't give him an excuse to make them look like retards.

- Cedric. He was an absolute arrogant bastard in the movie. In the book he was portrayed as popular, but nice. He wasn't nice at all in the movie.

- Parvati and Padma. Especially the way they pronounce Parvati. It sounds like they're saying pervert. And why the hell were they always together? Even in the Gryffindor common room. And their dresses for the ball were horrible. I mean, if they wanted to put the Indian touch into it, they could have picked better sari's (what the Indian dress is called). Seriously, those dresses were disgusting. And that's not even what they wore in the book. And, I may be mistaken and I'm too lazy to check any books, weren't they described as identical? And they weren't that cute at all, but in the book they were described as being the prettiest in their class.

And I'm not sure, but isn't the Cruciatus supposed to be a red jet of light? Or is that fanon? Now that I think about it, I don't think it was ever described as being a jet of light in canon. Hmm...

7. SoulesS

SoulesS First Year

I just watched the movie 2 hrs ago and I'm glad to say that I didn't pay a ticket for this piece of crap, the only good thing in this movie was the dragon and... er.. thats all.

Ok now I'm going to mourn for the destruction of the best book in the series.

8. Midknight

Yeah it was rather creepy. Wound up being more like a nosferatu vampire though, then what I pictured him as.

Another thing that pissed me off was the rampant use of wandless and/or wordless magic. I'm not even going to start on the Imperius curse somehow making your be able to make the thing you're controlling fly (the spider). Utterly f-ing stupid.

9. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Do you think the Script writers/Directors actually read the books

maybe they just get some1 to sum it up for them

looks like it to me

10. Midknight

I think the script writer did, and then he uses his own opinion as to what would make the movie great, and then writes out stuff he didn't like. I honestly doubt the director reads the books, Colombus did, and you got the first two movies with very, very few changes, and even the changes he did do stayed true to canon. Everything was as I'd pictured it, and even though they did stretch out in spots, it worked.

These last two guys seem like they read a paragraph summary of the movie, and just did a half assed attempt. It doesn't matter if the movie sucks to them porbably, tbh, it was going to sell boatloads anyway.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

im gonna watch it later... ill tear it apart for ya then... but so far my expectations are dismally poor at best

12. Midknight

ya know, one more thing I noticed just now as my kids are watching it... what the HELL have they done to Flitwick?

In the first two movies he was a sort of older, wiser looking man. Now he looks like a dwarfed version of that horrid actor who played Lupin in PoA. He looked just as freaking strange in PoA, as he does in GoF.

13. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

didnt jkr help with the movie making process. I swear i heard something about her being at the shoot or something for at least one of the movies.
    also there was wandless magic in the first movie. If i recall it was just some guy using his finger to make a spoon stir his tea.

14. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I just saw the movie...for the third time, im sick of it, never again

15. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

yea, it wasn't as good the second time... at least i snuck in the first time... and saw it at the cheap cinema the second

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yes! Man, I forgot about that. In the first movie he was like a goblin or some sort of creature, that was fine. But in this movie we was just like a dwarf in a tux. He wasn't even in character, he wasn't jolly or happy at all. He even called Hagrid an idiot! And what was up with his bowl cut?

17. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

That was Flitwick?! I thought he looked familiar but I thought it was supposed to be someone else, like maybe a mini Bagman or something. Or another teacher.

18. Midknight

Yeah she was on set for the first and second movie. I dunno about the third, having watched it I would hope she wasn't that money hungry to allow them to butcher her work that bad. The first movie, she specifically took creative control with how she wanted the opening to occur, with Voldemort encountering the Potters.

I almost forgot about Bagman, I couldn't place my finger on why Fred and George were used so little (a goddamned screwed up decision, since those two are the very best thing the series has produced so far). now I remember everything having to do with them got cut =(

19. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

ugh... what crap... i watched this last night at about 1 or 2 in the morning... thank god it was so early and i cant reember buch of it...

unfortunately ive still got the part when harry and hermy were hugging before the task when skeeter should up in my mind >_< .. i am soiled...

20. Midknight

Yeah what the hell with with her launching herself at him like that??? Granted Rita did make them out to be a triangle in the book, and it was a bit unrealistic, but the way they kept sticking them together in the movie, it would of been believable for them two to be together without us knowing in HBP he goes the road very, very heavily traveled in Ginny.