1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official GoF movie discussion thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Seriously, I think they're overplaying this whole HHr thing. I'm scared that they're going to make the movies HHr, even though that totally goes against canon.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I've also always gotten the vibe that the movie producers have some hardon for the idea of putting Dan and Emma together on-screen. Though I would prefer it over the inevitable Harry/Ginny. I do have a feeling that Rowling won't allow them to contradict canon that far however, and would probably step in and veto the idea.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It may be because the actress that play Ginny looks like she hadn't hitten a decent bit of puberty yet.

http://www.spuffyonline.com/bonnie/

That site has recent pics of the girl, where she looks a bit older, but even in GoF she looks like a 9 year old, she's not aging well.

On that note, what the hell happened to Radcliff in GoF anyway. In PoA, he looks much more mature, in GoF he looks like he deaged at least to 12. Grint looks about the same, Emma you can tell she got hit with puberty a fair bit, and the twins from CoS to now look totally different. Malfoy seems to be the only on, save the twins that have had a good growth spurt.

Well.. then there's Neville, but that guy just looks fucked with those teeth and ears, wth man.

4. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

all i got to say about ginny is that bitch is ugly.
    im sorry she is so ugly
    and i usually like redheads
    but thats probably the only thing they got from the book right ginny being ugly.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Honestly I think a lot of my Ginny hate comes indirectly from the movies. I tend to parallel the book characters within my mind's eye with the actors that play them on film. So...I see homely little Ginny in the movies and automatically hate her in canon and paired with Harry in stories. I haven't seen the fourth yet, and haven't really seen Leung, but I already have a strong enough mental picture of Cho that it won't really faze things. Odd, I know, but it's just me...

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

To be honest, the movies gave some definition to the characters I already had in my minds eye, though I have to say, Fred and George look most unlike their screen doubles in my mind. They look like two Shaggy's from Scooby Doo in the movies.

I watched GoF today, and I was disappointed. It was rushed, deviated from canon, and the story was done badly. Echoing others, had I not read the book, I would have been confused on what the hell was going on. The Qudditch World Cup looked like it would be awesome, but then it switched to the attack scene. Harry was a little bitch in the first task, and Dobby gave him the Gillyweed, not Neville.

I could go on and on, but most of what I have to say has already said here, but one thing I have to say...what was with all the bloody wordless, wandless magic? And since when did the Imperious levitate?

7. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Get Lindsay Lohan to play Ginny, then i would be happy

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Correction: Lindsay Lohan as she looked before deciding to go for the whole anorexic coke fiend thing.

In the same vein, Zhang Ziyi would have made a great Cho. Though she might be a bit old to realistically portray a fifteen year old schoolgirl methinks.

9. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

well krum only looked damn near 30 who cares if Zhang Ziyi is a little older than 15 haha

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Viktor was "of age" in GoF. Cho is but a mere school girl.

11. Midknight

She was what, 16 or 17 in GoF, while Krum was 18/19? Naw, doesn't make that huge of a difference the director should of known better, that guy could pass for at least 25.

And I take it since you left out the horrible entrance of the "Beuxbaton's" acadamy, that you liked that utterly gay, strange as shit entrace by a buncha of barely average looking girls throwing butterflys around? Heh j/k good god was that horrible.

12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

AGH! saw the movie this morning...it had a lot of potential, but NOOO Mike Newell had to focus on the MOVIE bit of it, not the HP part of it. He royally fucked it up.
    At the quidditch cup, i was mentally like, "YES!GO IRELAND! WOO!"
    but then they have NO quidditch match. I was like, WTF is WRONG with you people!
    then there's the DEs. They looked decent in the Cup, except for the hoods, but the Graveyard scene made it absolutely horrid. Blegh.
    Cho, I thought was ok, but I kinda imagined her like this:
    http://www.idol-a.net/img/idol_02/yoshikawa_ayano_02.jpg
    except a little more slender, and sharper eyes, and of course a bit younger.

And I thought the Tri-w cup was supposed to be on top of a pedestal thing with STAIRS. at the CENTER of the maze. Not to mention the sphinx, or lack of thereof.

As a movie, it was ok, but from the HP fan's pov, absolutely too rushed, too much stuff cut out, lines were corny, and the scriptwriters were probably ass fucking with Newell.

That aside, the Malfoy scene (ferret!) was decent, except i would have liked the novel's take on it better.

13. Lord Ravenclaw

Oh god the school entrances were pathetic, though I did like how those staffs put off sparks, that was neat. That entire movie was just odd, and I wonder how far they'll be allowed to deviate from canon next time. Fleur really should have been much better looking, after all, she is part Veela.

14. Midknight

I like Durmstrangs abit, the flips weren't needed at the end, but the dragon fire bit was cool, and Krum's entrace pretty much made him look utterly badass.

15. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I was so gutted about Fleur, although she did look really hot in her swimsuit outfit

16. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

This film is the best so far but, and this is a big but, it could had been so much better. The messing about with the original chronological order of the book; the whole of the main plot being bassed upon us knowing Crouch Jr is alive; the whole visual appearance of Moody; the fucking butterflys... BUTTERFLYS for fuck sake; the list goes on and on, all of these things could, and should, have been done better.

The visual effects are among the best I have ever seen (despite the appearence of Moody) and overall the tasks were done well(though the third task should have contained the animals and enchantments).

Moody looks so goddam stupid it's unreal. The eye looks completely ridiculus, as though someone attached a marble to his head with a permanent sticking charm.

I don't like this Dumbledore, I havn't since PoA. Despite my hatred of DD the scene where the tournament was anounced was going well... That is until the stupid, fucked up indroduction of the Bauxbattons Accademy. Butterflys! Fucking butterflys! What were they thinking? The Durmstrang intro was somewhat better, I liked the special effects used on the staffs. Though my enjoyment was slightly marred by the fact that my mind was still screaming "were those fucking butterflys?"

I nearly didn't see Fleur when she turned sideways, the girl looks life a fucking stick insect. Krum looks too old and well past his school days. Cedric is acceptable I suppose (though I couldn't tell you if he was handsom because I don't bend that way).

Rita Looks like a slag and acts even worse.

The Yule Ball was... what can I say? It was as cheesy as a tramps foreskin. The syncronised dancing looked stupid. Ron looked stupid. Everything looked stupid. It was redemed at bit by the moment where the Weirds Sisters played, but was quickly ruined in my eyes. The argument between Ron and Hermione was progressing well in my opinion, that was until Hermione said what she did. Hermione says "Get to bed both of you." Cervus says "Fuck you to muggleborn she-man whore." As you can tell this scene seriously got on my metaphorical tits.

The effect used for Sirius head in the fire is shit, nothing at all like I or any other I've talked to have envisioned it. It looks shit, it sounds shit, it is shit.

Crouch was killed with little explanation and not in the way he should have been. The part in the book where Harry thinks he's gone mad should have been included.

Voldemort was dissapionting, very dissapointing. He looked nothing like I have envisioned and sounded even worse, I mean he didn't even had red eyes (though judging by the way he touches wormtails hair he might be getting those when the rat spunks on his face later). Overall this scene was ok, though not long enough. I was glad we saw Cedric die.

My biggest cristism of this film is the way that canon material is completly disregarded on numerous occasions. I accept the fact that some things must be changed for the transition from book to screen to go smoothly, but to completly mess around with the main plot is unacceptable.

17. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Ok, my dad just pointed this out to me. Neville's a thief. We stole the Gilyweed (instead of Dobby) from Snape. He's a thief! What's the wizard equivalent of jail since its not horrible enough to end up in Azkaban?

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

equivalent of jail? ... being forced to watch Snape and dumbledore make out for three hours?

19. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

That is not the equivalent of jail that is the equivalent of the death penalty. :shudders:

20. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

I'm with him. But I do remember one part of the movie I liked. Myrtle. Myrtle was pretty good.