1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

It's been mentioned already, but you guys really have to check out Stein's Gate. That stuff gets scary and creepy :p

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

At the moment I am really enjoying "Blue Exorcist / Ao no Exorcist", subbed by gg.

It's like a fast paced Naruto - the main character is the son of Satan and has to suppress his demonic side. The story starts with him learning about his true nature, and then has him training to become an Exorcist, like his surrogate father and his real mother, "to kick Satan's Ass". The training starts like the usual slice of life / highschool with a twist, but soon the plot moves on.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Redline.

I saw a trailer for this movie almost two years ago, and right then and there I knew I wanted to watch this movie when it was released. Well that day has finally come, and it did not disappoint.

I can't really describe just how good this movie is right now, you just have to see it for yourself. Anyone who considers themselves to be an anime fan in any way, shape or form should go watch this movie. Then they should go show it to everyone else. This is a modern classic, something that will be held up with works like Akira as one of the greats.

You owe it to yourself to go watch this movie.

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... I don't think so. I just saw a few of the trailers and it looks way too American for me.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Meh, the artwork looks fine on it. I was going to say the trailer seemed kind of boring, but than I saw the shooting while racing and that looked interesting enough :p Although, this kind of genre in a movie? o,o

6. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

The animation looked pretty good, but I'm iffy on the racing aspect. Normally, I also like my movies with a bit of deeper plot.

However....

Link. After reading every critique the guy mentioned on it, he still said he would see it again. I think I'll check it out just for the visuals. As for it being another Akira? Doubt it.

7. Feoffic

Redline has a lot of qualities that could make it as popular amongst non-anime fans as Akira was when it was first released. It's an action and science fiction movie, it has top notch animation, memorable and likable characters, a really good soundtrack (seriously, this is one of the best ones I've heard in some time), and a cohesive narrative. There is a lot going for this movie.

That's also the only semi-negative review for the movie that I've seen. Do you have links to any others?

8. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

You were referring to Akira as a popular smash hit, I was referring to quality of movie. Akira had some interesting ideas and depth going for it. Sorry for the confusion on that.

As to other reviews, I generally avoid the positive ones. I find negative, or critical ones, to be a bit more balanced.

Review.

Review.

There are a lot of glowing reviews, and each say the same thing. You watch this movie for the animation, which is "animation for the sake of animation" and not the plot. Which many sources agree is second to the awesome races.

The review above said if you like techno, I do, the soundtrack is for you.

So, I restate my previous point. I'll see it because it looks like a great visual romp, but I fear I may find it lacking because of the plot.

Which, btw, is one reason I didn't like Avatar. Some stunning visuals all around, but the plot was too weak.

9. Feoffic

I wouldn't consider the plot weak, but it is simple. It's not something that has big ideas, a message, or is trying to light the world on fire (despite the high-octane shenanigans). Despite this, I would not consider that to be a negative. It's a self-contained narrative executed very well, and it fits Redline like a glove. Sometimes that is all you need, and this is one of those times.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

So I dunno if I'd call it a recommendation, but there's a fair few Fate Stay Night fans here so I figured I'd mention it.

The first episode of Carnival Phantasm is out. It's essentially a comedy spin-off with the characters from Type-MOON - Fate Stay Night (and related spin offs), Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai (maybe?). Unlimited Translation Works did a pretty good job if you want to grab it from there.

I was almost crying with laughter when Gilgamesh appeared during the game of Blackbeard. Some hilarious moments there. And Tiger Dojo animated!

I think they had the potential for more lol-moments and one liners though.

11. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

So I've just finished watching Ghost in the Shell:SAC and I'm in the middle of 2nd Gig. I'm looking for more similar crime/detective style anime with a bit of depth. Any recs?

12. Feoffic

The first and second Patlabor movies immediately spring to mind. If you haven't seen Serial Experiments Lain you might like that. Monster is amazing and doesn't get nearly enough love.

13. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

I've read nearly all Naoki Urasawa's stuff and they were bloody amazing. Personally though, I liked 20th Century Boys a little more than Monster. I hear that his latest work, Billy Bat, is quite good, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Isn't Lain the mindfuck one with weird existential stuff? I'll give it a go though, so thanks.

14. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

Not a crime/detective rec, but Angel Beats is awesome (or at least what I've seen so far, which is the first seven out of thirteen eps). I just started watching today, though my friend has been nagging me about it for a long time. I put it off until now because I didn't like the way the art looked, but after the first 5 minutes? Hooked. Probably the funniest anime I've ever watched. My face hurts from laughing so much.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Should've had 26 episodes instead of 13.

16. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Should have been 7 or 26 episodes*

I felt that it completely fell apart towards the end; it tried to fit far too much into to few episodes. I am a firm believer that it would have made a far better series with less episodes and less side bullshit (although this is usually the case for most anime.)

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Got dust in my eyes watching the end of Angel Beats...

18. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I watched it a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Though, at first I liked the fact there was only a little romance, but towards the end it was almost too much. And that final scene between the two. I didn't cry, I gagged at the melodrama of it.

Also, did not like the ending, though the helpless romantic in me adored it.

Would have been better if he had stayed behind to help guide new students.
    Also.
    Loved how the main character had actually died while fulfilling his wish. At that moment, when he and others started filling out their cards, I got teary-eyed.

19. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I don't think 26 episodes for Angel Beats would have worked unless you changed what it fundamentally was.

It was 'alright' in my opinion. Had its moments, thoroughly enjoyable and quite unique, but nothing hugely special. That, and some contradictions in the ending. Epic OP though.

That could be more to do with how I look at that genre though.

Also, have people seen the last episode of the Black Lagoon OVA yet? Loved it to death. One of the very few anime I have rated as 10/10 on MyAnimeList.

20. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Jank: Not until it gets dubbed. I'm waiting on all the dubs of Roberta's Blood Trail, actually (especially since in this case the dub was like 100x better than the actual Jap audio).