1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

It's pretty solid, overall. I'm a big fan of strategy and historical drama, so I enjoyed it. It's not as clever as it tries to be at times, but at the very least the character interactions were good enough to drag me through the moments that made me roll my eyes. It's a lot like Game of Thrones, but nowhere near as good. I'd recommend trying out the first few episodes, if nothing else.

2. fire

fire Order Member

Arslan is decent, but I couldn't finish it.

It just didn't feel epic enough, and the story jumps somewhat erratically, from scene to scene - a matter of poor adaptation from the source novel, I imagine.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The remake isn't bad, but I saw the 90's OVA before and it doesn't compare in terms of artistry.

4. vgus

vgus Squib

So, I may have accidentally posted a couple of anime recommendations on the Manga one, don't really know what to do about that. Anyways, I don't know if anyone's already recommended it(couldn't find it after taking a brief gander), but the anime that I e recently gotten into is My Hero Academia. It's similar to One Punch Man, in that it involves Superheroes, but instead of the protagonist being OP, the story starts off as he is just beginning his hero career.

5. Pure Infinity

Boku no Hero Academia is one of the best adaptations of a shounen manga I've ever seen. Comparing the first chapters of the manga with the first episodes of the anime blows my mind - because the anime is actually better. The lengths they've gone to to flesh out the characters, and to pace out the story better than the original honestly amazes be.

Bones always does a good job with action series, but they've really stepped up their game with this one.

6. Theunderbolt

Theunderbolt Squib

High Score:
    Personally I'm waiting for the school competition to be animated for Hero Academia.

7. Pure Infinity

That's actually the part I'm least looking forward to. That was one of the more boring portions of the manga IMO. What I'm really looking forward to is Stain. I remember reading that part and thinking it would look amazing animated (though that's the same with a lot of BNHA).

8. realobt

realobt Squib

High Score:
    This thread is kinda quiet right now, but does anyone know any anime similar to either Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop. I just got into anime, and these were the first two recommended to me by a friend. I loved them, and now I was looking to see if there are any animes similar in style or content.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Space Dandy, Baccano, and Michiko and Hatchin are my immediate recomendations. I'm sure there are others, but those three stick out the most.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shinichiro Watanabe's genre-fusion masterworks are kinda in a class of their own. I would recommend some of his other work if you're looking for similar style (Kids on the Slope, Terror in Resonance) but they aren't really similar genres.

There are also many great anime that resemble bits and pieces of the genre-mashes that are CB and SC. Stuff that immediately comes to mind:

Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (similar style but cyberpunk cops - 10/10)

Black Lagoon (basically a more shoneny version of Bebob, but not in space - 9.5/10)

Trigun (maintains the comedy aspect of Bebop and champloo - 8.5/10)

Outlaw Star (moar space bounty hunters/criminals - 8/10)

Baccano (Every episode is basically Mushroom Samba - 9/10)

Michiko & Hatchin (feels a lot like bebop stylistically, but not in space and with a bamf female lead - 8.5/10)

Psycho Pass (resembles some of the more gritty bebop episodes - 8/10)

Noir (resembles some of the more down to earth, realistic bebop episodes - 8/10)

Eureka Seven (similar to champloo in its wackiness - 7.5/10)

Planetes (another realistic space drama, but more slice of lifey - 9/10)

Crest of the Stars (old-school space fantasy - 7.5/10)

Basilisk (typical samurai stuff - 7/10)

House of Five Leaves (same studio as Champloo, more typical samurai stuff - 7.5/10)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  11. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

Dimension W could also be worth a look for you

12. fitzchivalry

fitzchivalry Squib

High Score:
    +1 for baccano! one of my absolute favorites i've ever seen. It's what, 16 episodes? super short and sweet, but the characters (so many of them!) are so well thought out. Everyone has their own psychoses and plotlines and it's fascinating!
    M

13. ImaNuke

ImaNuke Squib

High Score:
    Subete Ga F Ni Naru.This seems to be deserving of recognition.The mystery while not so subtle is not main focus.It's the interaction between the characters.
    My Teen Romcom SNAFU:8man is savage,nuff said

14. fire

fire Order Member

You should try Oregairu Zoku. It's a tier above the first season. Watch it and weep.

15. ImaNuke

ImaNuke Squib

High Score:

No weeping necessary.I am a man who has read the LIGHT NOVELS.So much content,just axed.
    I like how cynical Hikigaya is.He has flaws which only make him more relateable.

Watari Wataru needs to hurry up with volume 12.

To reiterate,I recommend Subete Ga F Ni Naru.

16. fire

fire Order Member

12's not coming out until next year at the very least. Wataru's busy with his shitty Qualidea project, and then there's that new LN with accompanying anime adaptation, Girlish Number.

Hope Girlish Number flops so bad Wataru is monetarily compelled to finish 12. Ez

17. ImaNuke

ImaNuke Squib

High Score:
    The man had time to shitty rehashed Fanfiction(ANOTHER).He's milking it for all it's worth.
    Hoping qualidea does decent.A complete Flop might just destroy any muse/motivation he has.

18. fire

fire Order Member

ANOTHER is hilarious for fan-related reasons. In ANOTHER,
    Yui
    gets together with Hachiman, and since ANOTHER is of course the spin-off alternate ending, it stands to reason that in canon either
    Yukino
    will win or we get the bittersweet ending. Naturally, the Yui shippers despaired and committed seppuku.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hachiman ... Hachiman ... wasn't he that awesome protag in that decent anime with the retarded ending that concluded nothing?

20. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Too lazy to comb the thread, but I'm gonna just talk a bit about what I've been watching.

Re:Zero is pretty good, pretty much a deconstuction of the upbeat fantasy genre while also doing it better than most of the other shows of the style.

Orange is an interesting light drama about a girl who receives letters from her future self. Its a more mature look at a highschool drama, which I usually dislike.

Second season of Shokugeki no Soma, its ok but kind of just a time sink I think, not super valuable.

I also watched Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju recently, which is from last year or the year before. Amazing anime, really blew my mind. Its a historical drama about theatrical performers in post war Japan, such an amazing character study and story, and they show unedited Rakugo performances which is kind of like a one man comedic play which was really fun.

I really recommend Rakugo, hopefully someone else enjoys it or the other anime I like.