1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

'A Game of Thrones', 'A Clash of Kings' and 'A Storm of Swords' are the first three books in the four book fantasy series by 'George R R Martin'. The fourth book due to come is called 'The Winds of Winter'.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i know what you mean they take so long for an event to take place, they seem to just go on and on. there good but they take forever and it's just so annoying.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you guys read the belgariad series by David Eddings, He has like 21 books to go along with them. There is the belgariad series- 5books
    the malloreans-5 books
    another series-3 book
    tamuli series- 3 books and
    Belgarath the sorcerer
    polgara the sorceress and
    redemption.....
    Rivan code.......
    And Reginas song

good books bujt long stuff, they all seem to tie into each other, there listed in order of whohc you should read. There easy read only about 350-400 pages a book.

4. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

I've read one book and it was fantastic. It's called "Althalus" in Germany, I don't know about the original title. Do you know if there is a sequel to it? I would love to read it.

5. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I have read those books. They are fabolous.

What do you guys think about Lord of the Rings. Personaly I dont think its that good when you compare it to WoT and SoT or one of Eddings books.

6. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

LotR, don't remind me of this book. I really tried to read it, but I never read above the first few pages. It was just to much.

The story is wonderful (I've heard a really good radio play) and I've seen the movie, but his descriptions are to much for me.

7. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

LoTR books are damn too long. They are fascinating for sure, but its too descriptive. When you see the movies after reading the books, you see how much they have really left out in the movies. Well of course they couldn't include everything but the point is that the books are very descriptive.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lotr books are good,t here interesting and the movies are fantastic.

Marguerida

tell me what it was about and i'll tell you if there is a sequal to it.

9. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

I only know it was something about a man called Althalus. But it's too long ago. Maybe I can find it again in the library.

10. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Is this about a thief called Althalus who wants to reach an imperial city or something?

11. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

Yes, this was it. He ended with a strange Lady and stayed there for ages.

12. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Then that is, IMO, 'The Redemption of Althalus' by 'David Eddings and Leigh Eddings'. I haven't read it. Just remembered it from a friend who had it and who bugged me saying so and so happens and thats why I should read it. *grumbles*

13. im not really into fansty i like horror and crimes books more
    im currently re reading the Partner by John Grisham

has anyone read Stravaganza: City of Masks and City of Stars?

14. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

Stravaganza is very good. I love it. I'm waiting for the third book.

John Grisham writes very good, too. I love Thriller and Criminal stories, but not as book only as audio books. It's wonderful to snuggle into the bed at the evening in the dark and listening to them. I always have to barricade myself, but it's just wonderful.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I was heavily into DragonLance until Jean Rabe (sp?) went and totally screwed the world up with the Age of mortal's books she penned. Wizards of the Coast had to bring back Tracey and Margaret just to fix the crap can Jean but the universe in, lol. Heck, even they wound up pulling some really odd crap off to make it back into the DL world we were familiar with again.

Legend of Huma is the first book other then schoolbooks/textbooks i sat down and read, and it's what pulled me into this world.

As for Harry potter, i stumbled across a word document before OOTP came out. It CLAIMED to be the real book 5, that had been leaked. I downloaded it, and was utterly amazed at the story. Then the real book 5 came out and i was disappointed by how JKR displayed the story in book 5 =(

Oddly enough though, the story for OOTP was predictible enough that the fake book 5 hit all but one of the plot arcs accuratly (Sirus dying wasn't thought of)

From that point on, I've been heavy, heavy into fanfics.

16. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

*jumps up and down* I've seen Stravaganza 3 (City of Flowers) today. I just need some money now :mrgreen: And the 4th Artemis Fowl Book, too (unfortunately only in English. Have to look when the translation is available)

17. i really wanna read the 3rd one
    have you read deja dead by kathy reichs?
    its great ive read all her books

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

midknight the word document you read, was the order of the phienix i group of people who were descendatns from some ancient wizard who had saved the phoenixs from being extinct?. Cause if it was then yea the story was kickass if not then, oh well. Yea i hate the age of mortal shit.in the dragon lance series.

19. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort Forum Bastard

Personally, my favourite book other than HP is Ender's Game. That book was absolutely fantastic, and full of twists. Has anyone here read it?

20. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I haven't read Ender's Game, but my favorite book series other than Harry Potter is Artemis Fowl, followed by Lord of the Rings.