1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If you're religious at all, I'd recommend the Left Behind Series.

Otherwise, don't come near it with a ten-foot pole.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Rusty: Nah. His works with AI are in the same universe, and there is something about a robot in one of the books, but the robot part was set in a whole different era than the Foundation series.

Evran: You should definitely look into it. It's Asimov's most famous work, and it truly is amazing. I would start with the prequels first -- Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation. You don't have to, as they were written after the actual trilogy (the trilogy is actually the more famous of the books), but I'd recommend it.

And if you do read them and like them, you should try and pick up Robot Dreams. It's a collection of short stories written by Asimov. It's very well done and there are many, many stories in there which I love.

Also, I forgot, but my favorite Asimov book: Pebble in the Sky. While other kids were getting read Dr. Suess, my mom was reading that to me for a bedtime story. XD

It deals with a time traveler from the 1950's getting sent thousands (maybe millions, I can't remember) of years forward in time. In that time, Earth still seems to be suffering from the effects of nuclear radiation, and as such, most of Earth is uninhabitable. A max of 20 million people in total is allowed to live on the planet at any one time. Anyone over the age 65 is killed. Earth is not the only planet though, humans have colonized much of the galaxy by that time, and Earth is seen as inferior.

Read it. It's truly epic. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Ok, Asimov will be my next author then. After I finish some harry turtledove books I'll look into that foundation series. but my library sucks lol.
    @Lyndon
    Ya, I like that series, I'm anti-religion but pro-god if that makes any sense to you lol. Makes perfect sense to me.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

That sounds.... fantastic. Holy shit.

Also, Evran, have you read 1984? More dystopia than post-apocalyptic, but it has those leanings.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Asimov... actually annoyed me.

6. Evran

1984 never caught my interest, not that I won't read it.

7. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Xiph0: How so? I've never read any of his stuff, myself.

Evran: Well, it's not the happiest of stories, hehe. But it pioneered a lot of ideas, like the whole 'Big Brother' thing. I dunno, it's just kind of neat. Though I will never drink gin because of it.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Just seemed like mental masturbation for him, written down and published.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

World War Z comes to mind.

10. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

11. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

This. The style in which it was written is pretty damn cool, does a lot for the book. Also, if you're kind of into Stephen King, Cell is pretty interesting too. It starts out normally, and then Cell phones promptly drive most of humanity completely insane, with little scattered bits of survivors running around, looking for family and trying to figure out what happened.

Alas, Babylon is another one, with a town in Florida surviving a nuclear war.

12. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

The Stand, by Stephen King, is also very decent. At the start a biological weapon developed by the Us army is leaked and starts spreading, with 95.5% or something similar who have no immunity to it and die.

What you are left with are two sides, one with an crazy insane guy, Randall Flagg, stockpiling Nukes in Las Vegas and using magic to lure people to his side, and another group of survivors on the opposite coast trying to find a way to survive, rebuild humanity and stop the bad dude.

Probably one of my favourite books.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Sree, your mother was brutal.

I Am Legend, the novel.

14. Omagic

Omagic Fifth Year

Great book for the ending, sort of a tough read for the overabundance of descriptive detail. Can drag at points.

The prequel (kind of) to World War Z is the The Zombie Survival Guide, which is a fun read as well.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

How was she brutal, Andro? o_O

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Brutal was a poor choice of words. Usually, people gravitate to that genre when they are older and on their own, but the fact it was read at your bedside is kind of funny in a macabre way.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

World War Z is a good book to read.

Saw someone rec Assimov, good books. As well as Postman. Lol, The Stand is a giant read. The movie for its pretty decent. Its filmed in typical made for TV format, like King is known for, but, its still good.

If you haven't read this yet, the Fourth Realm Trilogy by John Twelve Hawks is amazing.

18. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    The Road by Cormac Mccarthy has come extremely highly recommended to me before, although I have never actually read it. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Vampire Earth series. It's a...Unusual twist on the idea of a decimated Earth. I really enjoyed it.

20. Evran

World War Z was recced to me before, even though zombie movies are annoying, maybe a book would be better.
    But I was looking for more like post nuke war/post asteroid type books. Like Alas Babylon.
    But I think I got enough recommendations lol. Don't need this thread to grow any more do we?