1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Graphic Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zoken, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Oh, and to add relevance to my posts, here is one of the few comics I actually have read...

[​IMG]
    The Scott Pilgrim series.
    Length: Six Volumes.

I have a hard time believing most aren't familiar with it, but it hasn't been recommended here yet, so just in case.
    This series is about the titular character, obviously. Scott Pilgrim is just your average 20-something Canadian doing what I assume to be average, every-day things all 20-somethings do in Canada.
    Amongst them is getting an American girlfriend, fight off half-ninjas, robots, psychics and growing love-swords out of your chest (without using them for sex, which is strange because what else would be the intended purpose of a love sword?), in order to fight nightmarish abominations and commit casual murder that results in your pockets filled with spare change.
    It's filled to the brim with videogame references and, I'm told, a lot of landmarks anyone that's gone to Toronto, Canada could recognize and get a kick out of.

If you go into this series, go in for a fun ride where you can mostly turn your brain off and enjoy it, while at the same time getting strangely invested in the silly characters. It's not an epic story and it doesn't try to be.
    The art, too, is something that you end up finding really endearing.
    Oh, and a somewhat lackluster ending.

Rating: 3.8/5

2. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Picked up the All New Ghost Rider #1.

Robbie Reyes is a poor Latino teenager in LA, taking care of his physically and maybe mentally disabled brother who becomes the new Ghost-Rider.

It's the first issue but Robbie is a nice change from the stoic badass, or snarky asshole that a lot of characters have lately fallen into and not afraid to cry or show his emotions. He wants to get out of his neighborhood and provide a proper life for his brother. so he doesn't have to hear gunfire on a nightly basis.

Though his luck could easily give Peter a run for the money.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's not precisely a comic recommendation, but I've recently signed up to Marvel Unlimited. For £50 a year (ish), you get access to more or less everything Marvel has ever published, with something like a six month delay on current comics (they've just started putting Infinity up, for instance). Given that a single tradepaperback costs anywhere between £10 and £20 over here, it's astonishing value, and a great way to read up on some of the classics/more obscure characters who might be making their way to the big screen.

On a related note, through the site I've been looking at the latest Captain Marvel run (Carol Danvers), which is pretty awesome. Deals with her taking on her predecessors title and adjusting to that new status, and the first few issues specifically deal with her being thrown back in time to WWII and possibly screwing up the timeline.

4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Garth Ennis!

Preacher 4.5/5 (Starts strong, but decays near the last third, just to give us an awesome ending.

Chronicles of Wormwood 4.5 (Great short comic).

The Boys 4.3 (the story is better, but the characters aren't as good as in Preacher, loved it though)

5. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Started reading All New X-Factor. I haven't enjoyed a X-Family title like this since eXiles. And it's just nice to see Mutants actually do superhero shit instead of angsting about my persecution all the time.

Pietro is perfection in that title.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Anyone reading Kieron Gillen's series Uber? It's about an alternate history where Nazis managed to create the Wunderwaffe in a form of the mysterious Catalyst that gives 1 person from about 5000 people superpowers. Fortunately for Allies their spy manages to steal it giving them a fighting chance though for now they are mostly playing catch up with the last issue's (15th) revelation maybe finally giving them an edge. Or not depending whether Nazis are aware of this discover.

The series is one of better takes on a concept of militarized and industrialized superpowers. The author makes a lot of effort to make it as realistic and plausible as possible, giving even fictional science of Ubers clear rules and their repercussions that affect outcomes of the battles.

Other series that I may recommend, though not fully since it had only one issue published, is The Wicked + The Divine by the same author. In short it's about a group of 12 gods from 12 religions who get reincarnated every ninety years and die just two years after they become aware of who they are, but not before greatly affecting people around them and in our times that means they are all celebrities.

The concept of this series is intriguing though there are many questions about its details. For example, one of the 12 gods is Lucifer who unlike the rest is not a god in her (she's a female in this series) religion and yet for now nobody pointed it out.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  7. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Out of pure curiosity, is anyone reading Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps? I've been keeping up with it a bit, and have found it to be pretty enjoyable overall. It's not the most original comic book, but it's had some pretty good moments. Definitely recommended for those looking for an action comic.

8. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Edit: Accidental double post >.< Sorry.

9. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Valiant Comics does some good books. *nods*

10. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

So...it's been ages since I read anything out of the N52. Left when Lobdell ruined (opinion!)Teen Titans. That was the last straw for me.

Recently picked up the Batman Eternal books since it looked interesting as a weekly....

Hot damn. This is the best batman series I've read in ages. Loving it so far. Tim Drake is back to his normal self. Alfred is a badass. Gordon is being fully developed. Bard is a great character. Batwing's confusion over magic is hilarious. They brought back Stephanie Brown! Just amazing!

I give it a 4.5 currently with potential to hit a 5. Loving this story.

11. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A little late but I want to second Celestins Uber rec. I've been following since it came out and it's a great alt-WW2 comic.

12. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

13. Celestin

I was just reading an interview with Morrison where he talks about The Multiversity and mentions the issue that will be happening in the real world.

My guess is that the entire issue will be done in the first person point of view. Just putting it here for bragging rights if I guessed what it is. ;)

As for recommendation, how about The Manhattan Projects. It's an alternate history science-fantasy where it's possible for the Kamikaze Killing Machines to attack an American base coming through a Zen-powered portal and that's not the craziest thing that happens in the first issue.

14. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can second The Manhattan Projects. Entertaining read that makes you laugh and blows you away with some cool concepts.

15. Celestin

"What else wants to argue with cartoon physics?" - Captain Carrot

The Multiversity #1 doesn't disappoint.

16. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Marvel's AXIS is surprisingly entertaining for an event. While the main plot is pure silver age nonsense as someone summarized on /co/
    It has managed to do what Marvel events haven't been able to do in forever. Be fun and revel in being a comic book.

Its tie ins however, particularly Carnage and Hobgoblin are absolute perfection.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  17. Celestin

It wasn't the entire issue, but some parts were. The rest was typical Morrisonian craziness/awesomeness.

An interview about it.

18. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If anyone's interested Amazing Spider-man Volume 3 started.

Finally that abomination of an arc called superior spider-man is over, I don't even care how it's over, aside from that it IS over. I got a feeling that after 10 or so chapters of trying to fix what Otto did while in the control of his body, we can all go back to the normal spider-man like none of this shit ever happened.

19. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We can't. As long as Slott is on the book, it'll continue to be shit.
    I mean, the man somehow fucked up Spiderverse. He fucked up a comic storyline with the tagline "Every Spider-Man ever". How the fuck is that even possible?
    The only decent thing to come out of the event were the side books - except Spider-Woman, because that's by the even worse wombo combo Hopeless and Land.

As to my recommendations:
    Check out Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It's funny as shit. Shame it only got a short run, but I suppose the good die young.
    Also worth checking out:
    Ms. Marvel, with Kamala Khan. Moon Knight. Ant-Man, though that only has three issues out so far.

20. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Probably already been recommended, but I don't generally read comics so...

Anyways, my rec is "Saga" by someone. It was really good.

Edit: Friend reading over my shoulder said I should give some more info than just that. It's a sci-fi set in a wartorn universe type place. Apparently it's similar to West Side Story but I've never seen that so YMMV. I've also been told that the writer's name is Brian K Vaughn and the illustrator is Fiona Staples. She also wants to recommend another Sci-fi comic called "Low" by Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini set in a post-apocalyptic future where people live under the sea and the mom doesn't give up on looking for her family and shit's going bad and it's about staying positive in the face of adversity. Also it has underwater pirates and a crazy mech-suit. Sorry if this is incomprehensible I'm trying to type as she talks. It has really pretty art too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015