1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. azrael

azrael Professor

Wow, “Minamoto-kun Monogatari” is creepy as fuck. Seriously, his aunt is forcing him to try to seduce his cousin, and he goes along with it?

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

This comment was a nice incentive to investigate. The aunt thing is definitely weird, but the cousin part is a standard Japanese thing. They have little to no compunctions about marrying cousins, first, second or otherwise. You'll find a cousin character in most harem offerings. Along with a childhood friend, a tsundere character, someone with huge breasts who has thing constantly squeezed by everybody, and someone with no breasts who is constantly envious of the former...

I read a lot of these a few years back...

3. azrael

azrael Professor

Yeah, the cousin thing might have been okay on its own, except that the character clearly believes its wrong-he says the cousin is like a sister to him- and the relationship being forced on them by their extraordinarily creepy aunt (who is also a professor at the college they attend, which adds a whole new level oddness)

4. nairit

nairit Second Year

Kieli and Vinland Saga are pretty amazing, so thank for that.

Here, have one in return:

Otoyomegatari

or A Bride's Story

Basically a story of a christmas cake woman being married to a 12 year old in middle ages Turkey. Completely slice of life but still manages to intersperse moments of awesomeness. The art is amazing ( read: 20/10 ) and the story manages to be sweet and non-perverted while also being heartfelt even when dealing with subject matter that usually is fantasy fodder.

The story is no where near Japan so props for that, while the woman lead is pretty much a hidden badass. The male lead gets props for not being stupid and managing his wife like a boss.

Pretty much 5/5.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thumbs up wasn't enough, really loved it. Art is among the best I have seen and it just is so interesting that one can't stop reading. Relatively short so far but easily 5/5.

Thanks for the recc, man.

6. nairit

nairit Second Year

Something new and interesting here:

Clockwork

Protag is sent to America before the Meiji-rebellions and learns to fight with guns. Returns a gun master and with awesome personality. Things to watch for: Lots of guns, cool fights, noobs getting pwned before they even draw their swords, black herione action girl and nudity.

NSFW.

Only 3 chapters out so far, but I have high hopes for this, especially since this is seinen and we have already had multiple deaths to the protag's body count.

7. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

My goodness... "Otoyomegatari" is simply gorgeous. I wish it focused more on the main couple, but that's this manga's only fault in my eyes. Absolutely wonderful art, setting, characters, themes, tone... just about everything is incredible. I want MOAR!!!

I also want moar of Vagabond, which finally updated again. Another fantastic masterpiece by my favorite mangaka.

8. Nemrut

High Score:
    I don't knot about Clockwork, it is not bad, but I feel that Kenshin already had the best representation of the Shinsengumi and seeing them here being so vastly different, it feels off.

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So finished reading Vinland ,Noblesse and The Tower of God and I again I must say thank you nairit.

Noblesse and Tower of God are the first webtoons I read and I must say I am pleasantly surprised.. I have especially high hopes for the new Season of Tower of God..
    Vinland was great in the beginning but I don´t like the new story arc (The main Character is just so hopeless unmotivated) so I am not sure if I will continue it.

Clockwork seems also very nice... but too short too really rate it.

10. Nemrut

High Score:
    Just read Cage of Eden and I have to say, really liked it. It has a stupid amount of fanservice and the no name guys tend to be all portrayed as rapists but other than that, really interesting and the more important characters are fleshed out enough to be likable.

11. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Sry wrong thread... delte this post pls

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  12. asherojones

asherojones Muggle

Mach GoGoGo........It was good!!!

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Holyland

Possibly my favorite manga ever. This is what Ikari Shinji should have become, with 50 bazillion levels of fighting badass. Also complete. Read it, bitches. And yes, I know somebody already posted it. I'm doing it again in case it got missed. Deal with it.

Akame ga Kiru!

Words cannot describe the epic. Dark as hell. Just don't get attached to...anyone.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  14. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

So, I don't think anyone has mentioned aphorism yet. It's a horror manga that starts off rather tame and really starts to pick up steam later on. I rather enjoyed it especially the last few chapters.

15. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

You bring us such wonderful things. I find myself periodically checking this thread to see if you've done posts like this recently. >.>

16. azrael

azrael Professor

Love the recs, but it looks like you didn't provide a name or a link for the last manga you talked about nairit.

17. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I think it is Rising x Rydeen

18. nairit

nairit Second Year

Oops. Yeah, hgf is correct. Thanks.

19. Vitrify

Vitrify Squib

Shingeki no Kyojin

If you're into post-apocalyptic settings, you should definitely give this a try. It's a nice mesh of action/horror/mystery. And man, it's been a while since I've found a manga that I could, literally, not stop reading. Shit is pretty intense.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  20. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

EMPHASIS MINE.

That thing just sucked two days out of my life in quick succession. No homework, no writing, nothing. Just those stupid titans. God damn it.

Seriously though, that whole scene with Eren's first transformation was the coolest thing I have ever seen