1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

GERMANY! Schweinsteiger!

What a dominating game played by Germany. My life is now fulfilled...

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That was one great game. Nice to see attacking football for a change. I hope you all took a good look at what scoring looks like, coz we aren't gonna see it much tomorrow night.

The only bad thing is that Ronaldo ran away before they had a chance to take a picture of him crying his eyes out... ah well, you can't have everything...

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

They're all injured and Lehmann ceded the position to Kahn, something that has been done in two of the three 'small finals' Germany was in before. And as CGB said, nearly every nominated German played.

Some nice goals by Schweinsteiger, though the Portugese defense (and goalie) looked bad in the first two. And while Klose didn't get one in, I sincerely doubt Henry can score twice tomorrow.

Nice game overall. I believe Klinsmann will stay at least until the European Cup, where we'll see if he can still be successful (the last coach Völler, who lead Germany into the finals in 2002, failed in 2004 to be replaced by Klinsmann).

Ronaldo did try some diving, but I guess the crowd's reaction to him having the ball did deter him some :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  4. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Schweinsteiger was great and Germany made me proud :) I still wished they had went to the Final instead of Italy, but now Italy better win no matter what! I would hate it if French won, no offense to anyone.

I expected more from Portugal though. Poor Ronaldo, he is such an emotional guy...always :cry:

5. emt10

emt10 First Year

For some reason I am not really sure of, I seem to be leaning toward France to win the Cup. It could be because Zidane is on the French team, though that isn't really much of a reason; it would be nice for him to finish of his career with a second(?) World Cup under his belt though.

6. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

First off I'd just like to say this has been, the most exciting World Cup I have ever had the pleasure to watch.
    I was really glad Germany won yesterday and really hope France gets the win today.
    So no offense but viva la France!

Litha

7. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

i agree its been a great world cup, even with all the cards and all the diving (portugal the most) still some great games.

i just hope the game has some goals because pks is a terrible way to find a winner for the world cup.

Italy 2-1 over france

8. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

Holy hell that was one close penalty. I actually hope France wins this just so Zidane can finish his career with the opening (or maybe even winning) goal in the finals of a world cup. Although scoring in your last game is a pretty good ending as well.

On topic of the penalty, did they really just get that. Apparently Materazzi is the one committing the foul but all I see is him just pulling away his leg in time.

9. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

There wasn't penalty but the referee couldn't see this from his PoV. But Italy scored back!
    Forza Italia!

10. World

Materazzi did try to get his leg out of the way, but was to late. The penalty was justified, and damn, what a shot.

I suspect that the game will continue similarly to the end of the first half, Italy controlling most of the game, standing solidly in the defense and, at some point, scoring another goal, 2-1.

11. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

FORZA AZZURRI!!! :D

Italy is pwning, to some extent. Materrazzi screwed up, but man did he make up for it :)

Gattuso, as usual, is playing for keeps, and he's frustrating the French...Zidane is having to play much more agressively than normal. Totti...unfortunately, he is insipid. He's being boring, and he really isn't making that much of a difference.

Anyways...Forza Italia, and down with the Frogs.

12. World

Well, as for the second half, Italy is hardly pwning. France is far more aggressive and has more of the game, especially towards the end. If Dominique had brought Trezegue, or someone other striker, they could put more pressure on the Azurri. Let's see how Italy handles itself in extra-time...

13. carnivalofcarnage

What an end for Zidane... why why why why why did he do that???
    If you know its your last game ever don't do something stupid, even if the ref. doesn't see it. There's bound to be someone else who does (not to mention the camera's catching it.
    Disappointing... after that, the Italians deserve to win. They should win the penalties anyway, Barthezz is too small of a player to stop any well aimed penalty

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

That was the most insane thing I think I've ever seen.

They were talking about how Zidane would 'cement' his legacy with a win here... and good god did he ever. I've got my fingers crossed for an X-ray after the game revealing a cracked rib or two. That was ... the most incredible thing. Overtime. Of the World Cup. That's complete nutters. It doesn't matter who wins.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think Matheratzy twisted his nipple before that incident... that would piss anyone off.

16. carnivalofcarnage

Congratulations Italy! Close match though.
    Interesting how none of the penalties were blocked though, it seems as if someone was confunding the goalkeepers. In all of the shots they dived the wrong way

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

My expert analyzis:

FUCK!

As a side note, I hope someone slits Materazzi's throat while he's piss-drunk tonight... fucking poser.

18. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

It was a bit of a suprise that Italy won... They had been tired and slow during half of the game, I was just waiting for France to score 2-1 but it never happened. Then was I sure that the french would win the penalties even after Zidane was removed but it never happened either.

19. carnivalofcarnage

C'mon what's so bad about Materazzi? He's one of the few real men in football. He played quite a subdued game/tournament as well (for his standards).

20. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Italy?!?!?!

Well Zidane made history.........I don't think any football buff is going to forget how one of the greatest players ended his career with a red card...