1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP On the Way to Greatness - By Mira Mirth - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ChuckDaTruck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The really sick (and, perhaps, awesome) thing is that I totally agree with the Blood-purists' views on the proper function of the Ministry. I realize that this is mostly in reference to chapter 15, but it bears saying.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

God, but I love this story. I've said for a long time now that this is hands-down the greatest Slytherin!Harry ever written. Yes, Big D's snippets are awesome and well done, but this is in a whole other world.

That said, I also thought the way Harry acquired the Elder Wand was a little weak. Maybe I'm just so used to over-9000 levels of awesome-sauce in this fic that I'm spoiled. Honestly, I thought the whole ending of the chapter was somewhat forced and abrupt. I was reading along, and after accidentally seeing in this thread that Harry was going to get the Elder Wand, I kept looking over at the scroll bar, thinking, "Well shit, if all that's gonna happen it better hurry the fuck up, 'cause I'm almost out of web-page here."

One thing I didn't like is the almost defeated tone Dumbledore strikes at the end of the chapter. Sure, he's lost the Elder Wand to Harry, but the way he couches that statement to Snape, (1) it makes it sound like Albus was only as kick-ass as he was because of the Elder Wand, and (2) it's incongruous with his statements just a few moments before, all of which were as nonchalant as the ones in Snape's memories in canon. Perhaps I'm being too harsh on that aspect, but along with the seemingly rushed end of the chapter, it was off-putting.

Nonetheless, I give this chapter a 4.5/5 and the overall story a :awesome-cubed/5

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I had to reread the whole story to remember what the fuck it was about. I regret none of it.
    Awesome update was awesome, but I was kind of dissapointed by the ending and it's lack of a cliffhanger. Granted, some serious shit went down, of which what I most enjoyed was how Harry's presence affected the speed with which Dumbledore was treated, thus giving him more time.
    And here I thought this was abandoned, heh.

4. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

It seems that every time there is an update I end up re-reading the whole thing; likewise, I don't regret it.

5. FoolsGold

FoolsGold Squib

Also read the whole story again. How the author manages to convey Harry's character development is incredible, in the limits she sets herself. I Can'tt wait for the next update, although I worry what sort of power boost may occur with the aquistion of the elder wand. Hopefully it becomes a tool purely for Harry to learn magic more easily, the elder wand helping but not becoming some invincible tool.

6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Dude, Harry doesn't have the Elder Wand. He is it's master, sure, but Dumbledore still has it. And my guess is, he won't stay it's master for long.
    Don't know, it's a more than possible ... possibility, and hopefully it won't last long, but I just don't see Harry never again being caught by a spell or curse.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

But getting hit by any spell in the battle should not take a title of the master of the Elder Wand from Harry. From my understanding he needs to lose a duel or at least somehow lose his wand to other wizard for that to happen.

8. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Had to reread it and now I remember why I didn't particularly care for this Dumbledore..

Oops, turns out Love doesn't work that great against death eaters, who would've thought Harry would ever have to face them? Should've offered Harry that private tutoring after all you condescending old treehugger. :facepalm

Other than that and the Order's halfassed bumbling this fic is freaking awesome, easily the best Slytherin!Harry along with Sitra Ahra.

EDIT: Not visiting Susan's home for whatever reason and instead insisting on meeting in public places in secret was pretty damn weird too. Looks like another breakup's on the way, atleast this time it will not be because the girl is making retarded demands and throwing tantrums about Harry not devoting 100% of his time to her.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I may be mistaken, but didn't Grindelwald just stun Gregor-what's-his-name? Granted, he did it with the Wand itself.
    Plus, besides it's symbolic nature, the disarming spell is very basic, and has always been shown as enough for Mastery to switch hands.

10. Celestin

Yes, but like I said - you probably need somehow lose to the other wizard. If Harry is hit by various spells, but ultimately win the fight he will remain the master of the Elder Wand.

11. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

In canon all it took was Harry plucking a different wand from Draco's hands, thus disarming him, in order to have 'defeated' him and take mastery of the Elder Wand...

12. Celestin

But he still defeated him. I don't argue that it's not ridiculous easy for the Elder Wand to switch its master, only that being hit by one random spell without losing the fight or the wand (even if it's not the Elder Wand) to the other wizard is not enough.

13. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I really think this doesn't have a clear point one way or the other. There are examples in canon of the wand being fickle, but it's also pretty clear that the wand chooses the wizard. It's entirely possible that in this story that could mean that the wand wouldn't choose a lesser wizard I think. I agree that the switch seemed a bit forced, but with the sheer awesomeness in this story I can easily forgive this. I'm just hoping the next update will be sooner.

14. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Alternatively, that's why Grindelwald was defeated by Dumbledore: he never did gain the loyalty of the Elder Wand, and thus he couldn't use it to its fullest.

I think we can wait for the next installment, maybe Harry will notice Dumbledore using a different wand when he meet him again - because Dumbledore knows that Harry is the master of the Elder Wand now, and wants to preserve that status by taking back, but not regaining the allegiance of the Deathstick.

15. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

That would have made Voldemort the master of the Elderwand after he killed Gregorovitch.

16. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Am I the only one who think that Harry's new found sensivity to Magic might be as important as having the Elder Wand, if not more?

I don't think anyone comment about that, yet I think that having some kind of Jedi-like awareness is more useful than having a new weapon, no matter how fancy it is and the boost of power it gives.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I also had to re-read the whole thing to catch back up, and I also didn't regret it. It's a great story all around and the latest chapter is no different. I do like the idea of Harry being sensitive to magic somehow due to all the crazyness he's been exposed to, I just hope it doesn't become OP (but I don't think it will).

I also like that Snape isn't acting like a spoilt child constantly in this one.

5/5 still overall, for sure.

18. Portus

Portus Heir

I think Grindelwald *did* have its allegiance, but the fact is that the Elder Wand isn't the be-all, end-all for a fight. I mean, it's not *actually* the wand of Death personified. It's not like whoever wields it is invincible, it's just a very powerful - and very fickle - wand.

The fact that Dumbledore beat Grindelwald would have resulted in Dumbledore gaining the allegiance of whatever wand Grindelwald was using, and doubly so for such a bed-hopping whore of a wand as the Elder Wand.

No. Not if it had already switched allegiance to Dumbledore because of, y'know, Dumbledore kicking Grindelwald's ass back in '45.

I'm very curious about that as well. I can't recall the wording right now, but didn't Dumbledore mention that exact kind of thing while talking to Snape?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  19. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

That would only be the case if Grindelwald was the true owner of the wand. Which he was, of course, but not according to Oruma's theory. But if he hadn't been, the wand would have still been Gregorovitch's, even though he didn't actually have it anymore. It's kind of like the whole Dumbledore-Malfoy-Voldemort thing, were the holder of the wand wasn't the actual owner.

20. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

It's not so much the descussion with Snape that is relevant but when Dumbledore and Harry are in the Gaunt shack.

Harry manage to feel the magic and realize when it's becoming unstable, then he protects himself with a protego.

Just by standing inside the shack, Harry can detect that there is a Horcrux in there.

Imagine the possibilities if he can refined this sense.