1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP On the Way to Greatness - By Mira Mirth - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ChuckDaTruck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This seems to be the same (or a similar) skill that Dumbledore possesses - feeling magic and its traces.

2. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I get the sense that this new skill will lead to something tragic for Harry with the way Snape found "something he didn't like" in the latest chapter and with the way Pomfrey described the extent of Harry's damage in chapter 14.

3. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Poor Harry. Looks like he is going to waste quite some time searching for ways to increase his power even though he unknowingly achieves it.

The fact that he could see Ariana's shade was cool. There's a new Master of Death walking around bitches.............

4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, good news. On the Way to Greatness has updated. Now I just need to reread it remember where it left off.

5. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Now rereading the whole damn thing...

Again.

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Good chapter.
    Relatively boring, but not every chapter can end with a cliffhanger so I understand.
    I liked:
    -Harry's political role. He's intelligent, he's not being pushed around and told what to do, but he's also not being needlessly antagonistic to the Ministry or Dumbledore. In short, he's being smart about it, which is rare and enjoyable to read.

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'm intrigued by the Harry/Susan interaction, especially the drama over Amelia's death (I'm wondering if Susan will eventually try to reconcile with Harry, with him having already moved on).

It draws twisted Harry/Cho parallels from canon.

8. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

The patience of this Harry is rapidly approaching the levels of sainthood, the sheer mass of stupidity he has to listen to and the fragile egos he has to handle with silk gloves is mindboggling.

9. bugler

bugler Second Year

Nice update. Nothing mind-boggling, but that was to be expected, as Garden pointed out before. The plot has edged forward, and the stage is set for further action.

I love it how Harry's thoughts and interactions with others have gotten more political. We really see him growing into his role as a leader and carefully considering his role and choices in the context of the war at large.

I'm glad the relationship with Susan is over, and I hope not too many words will be spent on that in the future (too many have been already, in my humble opinion). Never saw the relationship with her as more than a distraction to Harry in this story.

It's still refreshing to see a Harry who is competent and is diligently pursuing his goals, while not being too overpowered and having a lot of room for growth.

The scene with the books in the Restricted Section was a nice little touch--I hadn't seen that particular idea used before.

10. Rache

Rache Headmaster

"These are the people we are training to fight" Millicent speaks.
    "Sure, the Greengrasses are too good looking to allow them to die" Blaise Zabini replies.

Excellent dialogue. The breakup with Susan Bones wasn't surprising. Mira hinted the breakup in the last chapter.

'It was one of those awkward moments in life, when you're the Boy-Who-Lived and acutely aware that you ought not be sneaking around with anything resembling evil magic in the title'.

Pure Gold.

Sorry about the necro post. Since the story was updated , I felt that we could keep the thread alive and the discussion on.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Updated. The cliffhanger at the end just makes me crave another. Right now

12. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Endlessly Tilting Windmills

The cliffhanger was absolutely horrible. ;_;

On the other hand, it's interesting to see Mira hinting at an obvious future mental breakdown. Harry is being tugged in all directions and has been for the last year or so. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't had Harry have a complete blowout by now. All of that energy and frustration has to go somewhere.

13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking fantastic update. Cliffhanger pisses me off, of course, but meh.

14. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

Damn, what a great update. This Dumbledore is also pretty great.

15. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The cliffhanger was pretty dumb. Anyone paying close attention could have sniffed it out in a moment.

Other than that, Harry's conversation with Cormac Mclaggen was well done and the chapter was fantastic.

I didn't expect an OC to be Harry's next romantic interest. Hmm, the guesswwork on who Harry's final girl is going to be is still on.

16. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Frobisher isn't actually an OC - just someone barely mentioned in canon, like Daphne Greengrass. If I remember correctly, she tried out for Keeper but couldn't play because she was in a few other clubs or something.

That said, not sure if calling her Harry's next romantic interest would be entirely accurate, seeing as how they just went to one party together. Harry also seemed to give the impression that he'd been having several flings since Susan, though honestly I can barely remember what the fuck is happening in this story.

Another good chapter over all though - I may have to give the story another read.

17. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Didn't Harry won? I remember him beating Cedric to the cup.

18. bugler

bugler Second Year

Great update. Mira is really in her element. Harry comes across as cunning, intelligent, and sarcastic, which meshes well with his background and circumstances. His approach to getting information from Slughorn was also well-done: gradual, carefully thought-out, and deceptive.

I was not that bothered by the cliffhanger. I'm just happy to know that Harry will evidently have an opportunity to blow off some steam in the fight at the beginning of the next chapter (but woe to him if he gets carried away with Dark Magic). With repeated subtle references to Harry's skill (for example., the casual non-verbal banishment of multiple books to their places in the Library), I am curious to see how he will perform.

I am somewhat baffled about the fact that almost everyone in the story is so concerned about Harry being able to perform a counter-curse. It seems to imply that counter-curses themselves are Dark Magic and are frowned upon, which does not make sense. Their obscurity or general level of evilness should not matter--one still needs ways to reverse them and defend against them. In fact, Draco Malfoy's comments about Durmstrang in GoF (in canon) seemed to imply that Hogwarts does teach counter-curses in Defence.

Still, I have to second the previous poster's comment about the Cup. Harry was the only one to grab it, which was the reason why Cedric survived. Of course, given the circumstances, the judges might still have decided to award both Cedric and Harry the title of Champion, but I do not remember reading anything to that effect.

Cannot wait to read more.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  19. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I think the problem people had was more that he knew exactly which counter-curse to use, implying he had experience with the Dark curse cast on the hallway.

Obviously the obscurity of the counter-curse does matter (at least in this case) because all the other talented students and the teacher there couldn't undo the curse but Harry could, because he knew what it was. Thus people assume (somewhat correctly) that he knows dark magic, etc.

20. Canonised Caprice

Canonised Caprice Squib

But how could Harry recognising a spell taught to up-and-coming death eaters so easily possibly be disturbing? Especially when you consider that Slughorn, who apparently is well-versed enough in horcruxes to know more than Dumbledore (Dumbledore thought nobody had ever made more than one, Slughorn knew of people with two), didn't recognise it in time...
    About 'who Harry will end up with'... personally I'm hoping for nobody. It doesn't seem like a shippy sort of story, rather Harry's relationships are used to further his character - one of the many reasons that I enjoy it so much. With Susan out of the picture I think it's too late in the story to introduce 'the one' - not enough time for a build-up.
    On another note, I love how everyone but Harry seems to realise that they're worried not that he'll join Voldemort, but that he'll be the next Voldemort. Which I really kind of hope he does...