1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

OneEyedMan Presents: DLP Mega Mix

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Murton, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

I don't mean to intrude, here, but you use your first post to flame the work of a contributing DLP member? It wasn't even constructive criticism.

2. Ender

Ender Muggle

Wasn't trying to flame at all, after a minute or so included suggestions.
    If you don't listen to house/trance regularly, then you are probably right - it doesn't.

3. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

It was my first set.

I wasn't paying much attention during the recording, only trying to get a feel for the software.

The song choice was a little off once I was recording live. Some of the songs seemed to end abruptly with no fade out or end section which slowly losses instruments so you can mix in the next track for a seem-less transition.

I ordered the songs by BPM to get an increasing feel to the mix, beat matching was fine, although i think I missed it on one track.

The date of the tracks doesn't really matter much to this project, I'm trying to represent DLP as a whole in our little trance community, as such recommendations are very welcome, as is constructive criticism which is very helpful.

I'm studying Music Industries Technical Production at a Technical College, thus my skills are improving slowly but surely, but this project will help me implement the things I learn as I get better.

Of course the song order and selection will improve, tell when you feel something isn't quite right. I only did one take of the set, recording live, not having a chance to feel out the track list in advance so it turned out pretty well I think.

I need some decent filler tracks to help with transitions. Any ideas let me know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Btw: Don't pounce of this guy, he wasn't flaming, I can take constructive criticism when it comes.

ATTENTION ALL DLP'ERS

I'm looking for some sound samples from some of you to turn into some samples/voice overs/ads etc for the project.

Have a listen to a couple of radio sets, I.e. euphonic sessions and you shall understand what I mean.

I'm thinking of a recurring ad for throughout the set to play during quiet parts.

"DLP Mega Mix" shall be the line, with the radio-esque style of changing to different people for that sentence, i.e. D-d-d-d L p MEGA Mix or some such.

So, PM me a link or email me a sound file with you just saying the line or a part such a the D, P MEGA or mix in either a .wav format or a MP3 format with a 320kbps bitrate.

I'm also looking for idea for an intro for the project that can act as a base for the introduction as things get better and I include an audio introduction/commentary to the mix.

Again, thanks for the massive positive response, I'll try and release new version as often as I can be bothered, I'm open to any requests/suggestions, vote to keep things in the mix as well, we all know Big Sky shall stay in there for a while.

Place a vote on the track list, I'll tally the votes and maybe the top 3 tracks of the set shall stay included into the next version plus a stand out track from the previous set "Track of the week" if you might.

Also thinking of making the quintessential DLP mix with all the songs which a majority of listeners vote should be included.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  4. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Well, to prevent bitching about "old" songs... ;)

Feel free to use any of these.

Filo & Peri - Anthem (John O'Callaghan Remix, featuring Eric Lumiere)
    Marcus Schossow - Mister White
    AvB - The Sound of Goodbye (Simon & Shaker Remix)
    John O'Callaghan - Big Sky (Agnelli & Nelson Remix, featuring Audrey Gallagher)
    First State - Falling (featuring Anita Kelsey)
    Ronski Speed - Love All The Pain Away (Kyau & Albert Dub)
    Sarah McLaughlan - Sweet Surrender (Tiesto Club Mix)
    Coburn - We Interrupt This Program (Jean Claude Ades Remix)
    Kyau & Albert - Always A Fool
    The Blizzard - Kalopsia

More if I think of any.

EDIT:

PvD and Rea Garvey - Let Go (Martin Roth Nu Style Remix)
    Lange - Out of the Sky (featuring Sarah Howells)

5. Murton

That's great, I'll have a listen, some are already in the first set, the larger pool of songs to choose from, the more awesome tracks that shall be included and you may not have heard before, thus improving the project, making it new/different/exciting or what ever each release.

Keep them coming.

6. Ender

Ender Muggle

The beginning of "Requiem" from Orkidea's newest album "Metaverse" comes to mind first, from 0:30 to 1:30.

If you are into trance, you probably already heard about this album. All tracks ate top notch quality, such tracks as "God's Garden" & "Metaverse" were already featured in Global DJ Broadcast by Markus Schulz, ASOT, etc. "Slowmotion" is great for filling from the same album.

From recent stuff I would recommend:
    Celestia by Mohawk
    Ghost In The Machine (Estiva Remix) by Kenneth Thomas Feat. Colleen Riley (what a track!)
    Sander van Doorn "Pura Vida"
    With You (Original Mix) by Interplay & Electrobios
    Take Me Away (Re-Ward Remix) by 4 Strings
    Nebula by Hetbeat
    Angel Falls (Lange's Firewall Mix) by Lange
    La Guitarra by Orjan Nilsen
    Ocean Drive Boulevard by Leon Bolier
    David Newsum "From Dubai With Love" [Original Mix]
    Ozgur Can & AGS - Melodic Beat (Marcus Schossow Remix)
    Emotions by Dyor
    Somewhere Inside of me (Andy Duguid Remix) by Allure & julie Thompson
    Blizzard's remix of Beauty Hides in The Deep is great, even though track is old

older:
    Time Machine (Groovematic Remix) by Tasadi - housy track
    Crawling by Sunlounger - beautiful track, whole album (Another Day on the Terrace) is great
    Till The Sky Falls Down by Dash Berlin (vocal mix) - my favorite track of 2007, new Kettel Remix is quite nice
    Another You, Another Me by Lange - you should probably add this, this was one of the hits

This set feels more like a cd collection of different tunes, not like a mix. You know what I'm talking about, you probably want to smooth edges, rotate energetic with calm vocal tracks, etc..

Are you using Ableton Live?

Those are mostly 2007 tracks, wouldn't call it new.

7. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

See also: sarcasm; nudge nudge wink wink.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

It needs some Queen in it.

9. Kyrissean

Kyrissean First Year

fxt.

I'm not a "fan" of trance, but I have some of the above mentioned tracks. Somehow.

Edit: Messed up my quote. =/ Phail.

10. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

Loving it, Murty. :D Moar plox

11. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

That is a pretty cohesive track selection at first glance. I don't know if you've started to get into listening to what key the song is in, but that tends to help just as much as knowing the BPM in terms of mixing. If you haven't read it before How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records, by Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster is an absolute must have for the aspiring DJ. There is a lot of info in it for the traditional vinyl DJ, but lots of good stuff in general; ie how to beatmatch, phrase matching and so on. Also, kudos to you for opening your mix with DJ Shadow, good choice. He and Cut Chemist have a new album "The Hard Sell" coming out in the next week or two. It's a follow up to the "Product Placement" and "Brainfreeze" live mixes. Out of curiosity what hardware/software are you using?

12. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

But Darius, it's not new and trendy. :(

13. Murton

Coming Soon

DLP Mega Mix Volume II

CAN YOU DIGG IT?!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...Ender, new songs doesn't equal good songs. I could really care less how old the songs are, as long as they are good. Throw in some Pre-2000 Tiesto for all I care. Some System F. Anything.

Sub-genre? Doesn't matter to me. Throw in some house, I happen to like it. If a remixed rock song fits the mood, fits the beat, put it in.

Old? Who cares.

Good is good. New or old, vocal or house, uplifting or banana cake.

Yeah, banana cake.

Just keep doing your shit. You'll get better with practice.

15. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

I completely agree with Syaoran. If it sounds good, use it. Play around with different songs and styles to find interesting mixes. If you want some good examples of using what sounds good as opposed to new stuff check out Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist live albums ( Product Placement, Brainfreeze, The Hard Sell). They're more hip hop/funk/turntablist than electronica, but it could give you a good idea of what a good mix sounds like when you look for stuff that sounds good together as opposed to what's new.

16. Murton

OneEyedMan presents:

DLP Mega Mix Volume II

Link: http://www.rpmaudio.com.au/trance/OEM_-_DLP_Mega_Mix_Volume_II.mp3

Size: 171mb
    Length: 1:15:05
    Bitrate: 320kbps

Yes, it's much earlier than I planned, I uploaded it whilst I slept instead of waiting for my internet to go fast again.

Tracklist:

Nitrous Oxide Pres Redmoon - Cumulus (Radio Edit)
    DJ Shadow - ...
    Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down (Vocal Mix)
    Jealous Guys - Mr Brightside (Big Room Mix)
    First State ft. Anita Kelsey - Falling (First State's Stuck Parachute Mix)
    Insigma - Open Our Eyes (Sean Tyas Got Piano Remix)
    The Blizzard - Kalopsia (Original Mix)
    Grendel - Aspiration Feed
    Infected Mushroom feat GMS - Arabian Nights on Mescaline
    Sander van Doorn - Punkd (Sean Tyas Remix)
    John'O Callaghan ft. Audrey Gallagher - Big Sky (Agnelli Nelson Remix)
    Giuseppe Ottaviani - Through Your Eyes (Thomas Brozwear Mix)
    Basshunter - Boten Anna

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  17. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nice, me likey.

What is that bit at ~43.30 from?

18. Murton

Grendel - Aspiration Feed

At least SOMEONE picked it up. My favourite part from the mix.

Not sure what the sound byte is from exactly, it is epic that's all I know.

Also, you are all ungrateful bitches D8 World is the first one to post in over 200 views. World gets special shout out in the next volume. No birthday shout out for Vash!

19. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

"They don't deserve to wear that uniform, prove that you do! Do I have to spell it out? They are traitors and cowards! Shoot them!"

Soundbyte. Sauce = The Bunker.

20. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Nice. I like it.