1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Online Dresden RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Typhon, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reno is a cheap glass bauble compared to Vegas' glittering Tiara, and the people who fight over it are just as petty and worth just as much in comparison to those who walk the halls of power in Vegas.

2. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Vegas seems okay to me as well. Anybody else have any other city ideas?

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Whatever works for everyone. I'd prefer not to do #generic_american_city though. Those have been done to death.

4. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

That's fair. I think Tijuana would make a pretty fair middle ground, if everybody is down for that?

5. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I always upvote Tijuana.
    ...Need to stop hanging out in IMGUR.

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

To be fair, #generic_american_city makes it easier to justify various character types existing in a common place (and everyone in the world is intimiately familiar with generic American culture at this point to roleplay in such a setting).

At one point, I was building a Dresden MUD using CoffeeMud. Basically, a persistent text world, with some rules coded into the game for easy roleplaying. Too much work though!

Um, not sure why I commented at all here. Sorry, brain diarrhea.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Vegas really isn't #generic_american_city. It's really rather unique, actually.

If I was going to do #generic_american_city It'd be New York, Boston, San Francisco, Portland, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, etc etc. Those are Generic American Cities, where one is really rather similar to the other.

Vegas stands out on it's own. It's an entertainment and tourist town blown up fifty thousand percent the size and power and revenue of your average tourist town.

The thing with Tijuana is that I know absolutely nothing about it. Not the culture, not the practices, not the way it looks or smells or feels. Not the way the people sound or the way the weather works. Not the food or the drinks or the clothing of the locals.

To me it's just another name, not anything that carries any weight or brings anything to the imagination. I can't picture Tijuana. I can, however, picture lots of other places, even outside the U.S.

London, Sydney, Moscow, Baghdad, Mexico City. I've seen or heard enough of these cities either in person or via entertainment or via people who lived there to have a mental picture.

But Tijuana is just a blank slate for me, and I suspect many others. Which means we'd be filling in the gaps ourselves. I'd really rather we all be on the same page when it comes to a location.

If Vegas is a blank slate for some folks, then it isn't that good of a location. I just figured it was famous enough that just about anyone can paint a mental picture of Vegas.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

That's not much different from knowing about a city through research, which can (and should) be a step in the city creation phase.

The filling in the gaps is what will get us on the same page, for the most part. That's the good thing about collaborative city creation, and we have the perfect tools with which to paint a good picture of our setting - aspects. Themes and threats are all we have to be on the same page about, really, and if we make them well, they will tell us all we need to know about our city, while steering us in the right directions should circumstances that aren't specifically covered arise.

Keep in mind that we won't be playing in the real-world version of whatever city we pick. It will be ours. As long as we make it ours, we'll be fine.

Anyway, I wanted to wait for Zeelthor to get back with his answers before moving on, but if you guys want, you can go ahead and post your top three city picks. If there's a city you'd absolutely hate to play in, list that one as well.

9. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Plus we can definitely do some quick research in Tijuana, it's not that hard. And we know Butcher didn't know anything about chicago when he started the series, so it's even in the spirit of the theme.

My choices are...
    -Tijuana
    -Athens
    -Italy

I wanted to throw Amsterdam in there, but I guess it's too late for that.

10. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

My 3:

New Orleans
    Tijuana
    Athens

11. Jon

Tijuana sounds good.

12. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    1. Vegas
    2. Tijuana.
    3. London.

13. Titus

Titus Squib

If I can get /in, any of the three cities works for me. I saw a lot of names here though.

Vegas -- When they say you can drink all day here, they mean it. No one would think you're an alcoholic. You can walk down the main street on your honeymoon with your husband and get handed adds for girls. The main areas are packed with people. The bright lights are captivating. Some make their living in Vegas, betting against others. Townies come to gamble for fun. But most who gamble wind up in the gold hard gutter or just heading for the outskirts to get a real job.

Heading just out from the main path, people who get lost can be hurt kidnapped or worse. The cameras aren't as omnipresent and you can get hurt bad.

London - It has its tourist spots. After all, it is the most populated city in London and where Buckingham Palace is. Most use the underground train to get around. Driving on the left is common place. It's very similar to US major cities but minor things are different. The public's care for the individual is greater, but with greater monitoring as well. Foods are just a little different as well.

---------- Post automerged at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I've been to a fair amount of US Cities. Very few are generic US cities. :'(

14. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Sorry, guys... I've been having computer problems. Titus, I'll send a PM to Riley and Zeelthor to see what's up with them, then get back to you.

15. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

1) How familiar are you with the setting? Are you up to date as far as the series is concerned (Cold Days/Bombshells)?

I've read everything there is to read.

2) How familiar are you with the RPG?

I've read some of it for the lulzy comments, but I can't say I know a lot.

3) What would you like the game to be focusing on? Do you want it to be fairly balanced or would you like more emphasis to be put on combat/social conflict/mystery solving/whatever?

Balance sounds good. Action could be fun. Depends on what the others want and what characters we're making.

4) What would you like the general tone to be (dark/surreal/epic/whatever)?

Epic and/or dark.

5) What would you like the power level to be (page 53-54 of Your Story + this up to Snorkelling)?

No opinion, really. I can play anything from a powerful wizard to a vanilla mortal in way over his head.

As for cities.

Halmstad (Cos fuck ya'll, that's where I live.)
    London
    Prague. (Beautiful city, so yeah, we should probably burn it down.)

16. Jon

Someone else can have my spot. This has taken far too long to start and I have a new job coming up. Good luck with it though!

17. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Sorry about that, Jon, and good luck with the new job. Unfortunately, I still have computer problems and I'm currently sharing one slow-ass laptop with two other people, and with everything else going on in my life, I'm unable to put the necessary time into this. So, I'm gonna have to take a step back, at least for now. Sorry, guys.

18. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Nah man, we understand. Life is what it is, don't sweat it.