1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

OOTP (Movie) Trailer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Lecter

Lecter Seventh Year

Okay, Voldemort in a suit looked simply ludicrous. And Umbridge doesn't sound nasty enough. I can tell the action scenes will be impressive, though.

I'm pretty sure he says "him", not "her".

P.S. When will they stop using footage with Voldemort from the fourth movie?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Death Eater Neophyte

Death Eater Neophyte Squib

I have to ask, why is there a large banner of what appears to be Quirrel at 1:30?

3. Naga's Shadow

Naga's Shadow Seventh Year

That was likely the minister. The whole trailer is trying to portray the vibe of a government crackdown. The whole Voldemort in a suit thing is just a way to show Harry's insecurity. Remember on the express he finds out that no one believes him.

4. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

It looked to me like they were flying on the Thestrals at the beginning of the trailer, in daylight...

Anyhoo...you know I like the idea of Voldemort in a suit. I've always thought he would be much scarier and creepier as a gentleman who would smile politely at you just before he slit your throat.

Radcliffe's acting in this trailer seems shittier than it has been in all the other movies put together, sadly. Which bothers me, because he was pretty good in Equus. I don't expect strong performances from the younger actors (this sucks because the trio is what it's all about, Harry is what it's all about, and not having a strong, volatile and emotionally ripe performance from Radcliffe as the main fucking man is totally ridiculous) but I think I can count on some of the older veteran actors to pick up the slack, hopefully.

Towards the end is where the trailer really starts getting good, right after Bellatrix says "the Dark Lord approaches..." Dumbledore's warning to Harry actually gave me a little chill. In book five, no Harry most definitely could not win against Voldemort and Dumbledore set that shit straight.

The centaurs look kind of cool--much cooler than in the first movie--but then the connection is a little blurry so I'll have to wait and see. Fred and George...I am so looking forward to their parts.

And that last part with Voldemort, how he kind of conversationally says "you'll lose everything" as if he's shrugging at Harry like, "Harry...you know I'll destroy you and everything you love, right? You don't stand a chance, kid..."

Love it. I know most people can take or leave the movies (leave, more often than not), but I am really excited.

5. Roborant

Roborant Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Looks quite interesting, and frankly it could have been a lot worse.
    Radcliffe aint never been brilliant and I just can't stand Watson.
    Spellwork should be the best part of this film, looking forward to it.

6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I just want to say that I do love Umbrige's little giggle and smile.

7. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Exactly! Gentleman killers are scarier than fucking clowns! And it's kinda hard to beat the mind scarring powers of two people in greasepaint with big shoes fucking (somehow I know there's a fetish out there...).

Seriously, I really love the idea of a villain who can smile and act so smooth in public just before he slips off to kill someone. Imagine a Bond villain who instead of setting up some death trap just walked up and stuck a knife in his ribs... A blend of ruthless madman and suave socialite.

8. raja

raja Fourth Year

It looks a lot better than I thought, but I think its just the way they advertised it, they make it seem more like what a resistance is going to take place. But everything actually looks quite well done surprisingly enough.

9. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

Just a question: do you think any fanfiction might come out of the movie trailer? Say with Voldemort in a suit, the socialite killer who's not a raving lunatic. And perhaps Death Eaters that aren't moronic servants? Yea, that would be nice.

Honestly, every book and fanfic seems to portray Harry's task as do-able. But there's a reason people are afraid to say his (Voldemort's) name. He's powerful, suave, and dark.

A serious Severus would be nice too. They def. got the charecterazation of Voldemort down to a tee, though.

Edit: Actually, I might just make a challenge.

10. raja

raja Fourth Year

That'd be cool if done well. I really liked the image of Voldemort as sophisticated and sauve looking

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

To answer your question, Dumbledore calls Voldemort 'The Dark Lord' about twenty times in Half-Blood Prince.

I haven't watched the trailer yet and I don't think I want anything to do with this movie now.
    That is a major reason. I don't see the point in leaving out this. Are they afraid that people will dislike some of the main characters getting their asses handed to them? God, it's pathetic.
    That isn't Dumbledore's style, that's why it sucks. And he's always believed in Harry's ability against Voldemort in the books, so why change it? Could have easily said, "Just stand back and let me handle it," but whatever. I don't mind Harry being told, even if it sucks with out of character-ness.

12. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Ah, my bad...That explains it then. I read HBP once then never touched it again (with the exception of looking for certain specific references) I know the prophecy references him that way and maybe this is just a backlash from reading too much fanfiction, but I really don't think the leader of the "light" should refer to him has such. I don't even like it when the light uses "lord" Voldemort, instead of just Voldemort(whether or not JKR does it) It feels like they are legitimizing a portion of his power in a way.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

And the sad thing; The Trailer will be better than the movie.

I WANTED MORE LUNA!

14. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

The Voldemort in the suit thing is much scarier than a raving lunatic most fics portray him as. Just remember Hannibal Lecter. I bet that after leaving Hogwarts, Tom Marvolo Riddle was very similar to Lecter. Maybe except the hannibalism part, perhaps.

15. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

What pray tell is hannibalism?

16. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Hannibal the Cannibal :)

17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Had I not read the book, no doubt this trailer would have caught my attention, because it makes it sound like a good, action packed film. However, to me, it does not sound like a good, action packed ]Harry Potter film.

18. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You can say that again. Other than Snape, nobody else was dressed like a wizard/witch at any time. Even Voldemort was wearing a suit for crying out loud and I don't care if this scene was supposed to be some sort of vision. Did they really run out of money for costumes and have to rush to the local Gap outlet? And before anyone mentions the character pretending to be Dumbledore, let me say that he doesn't count. Dumbledore is supposed to wear flamboyant robes, not a grey tunic. At least they still carry wands...
    I know it's a minor issue compared to plot and such, but it really ruins the whole magical feel of the setting for me.

19. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    I loved that trailer! Awesome! (Okay, I don't know why the hell Voldie is in a suit but, whatever!).

Looks like lots o' action and I enjoyed the Umbitch parts. I'm so excited about this movie - almost as excited as I am about the 7th book.

20. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

New Trailer

This one is much better than the other one. Let's see if the movie can live up to the standard set by this trailer...