1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EDIT: Lawl, nevermind. FFN isn't nearly so receptive as I had expected this morning.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Pharos
    Young Justice fic based on the premise Lex Luthor is a female who had a one night stand with Clark Kent, 17 years before canon.

She's still a Super villain and the canon plot really goes off the rails. Author has a firm grasp on all the characters. Update rate is a chapter every two-three days. It's a fantastic fic.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Eeehhhhh. Tell me she didn't get preggers with his kid and I'll consider reading it.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Where else would the genetic information to make Superboy come from?

5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I don't think I have it in me to get involved with another Pokemon / Red story after my last relationship ended so badly...

6. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Can't do that. The fic is based on the premise Superboy is their natural son together instead of their testtube clone baby.

7. yak

Oh, I didn't realise that the "Young Justice" bit implied Superboy. I don't follow DC closely enough I guess.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The formatting of Pharos is incredibly annoying, simply because I still haven't fully understood how to read stories on that site, whether those short snippets are the full chapter or if I have to click on somewhere to get more, but what I did read, the first snippets until 77, was actually rather good. I quite liked the dynamic that a female Lex brought into this, and how she raised her son. Thing is, the story still seems to follow the villain and hero structure and while I can't exactly blame the story for doing that, seeing it is a superhero DC story, I don't quite think it is appropriate with the matter at hand.

Not really library worthy as of now, but still a decent thing to read. Personally, my favourite thing about this story was to see things from Lex Luthor's POV and her moments with her son and the way she handles her villainy, not the parts from the heroes where all we hear is how much of a bitch and villain Lex is who only hurts them.

Seemed a bit weird that the heroes always seemed to hate female Lex more than male Lex. Not sure if they hate Lex just as much in the normal continuity, because I haven't been following that much Superman stuff, but meh.

So yeah, check it out if you like that sorta thing, I guess. Just wish it was on another site. Live Journal is the worst regarding reading fanfiction.

9. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

In fairness female Lex did one thing canon Lex didn't do. She really found a way to really wound Clark through Conner's existence. Before the team formed I didn't see any difference in hatred levels between male and female Lex. Lex in YJ spawned instant hatred in everyone he met.

As a warning, Contract with a K also said she won't put up Pharos on Ff.net until she's completed it on LJ. Since she uses it to iron out any kinks and issues the story might have like she does with all her other YJ fics. They're also entertaining if you have the time.
    Contract with a K

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wasn't Superman solely at fault for that? I mean, I can't blame her for that decision.

11. yak

What's the deal with that Red Kryptonite necklace in part 4?

Did Lex have any idea it'd cause Clark's behaviour to change, or was she just showing off her pretty superman-connected necklace to the handsome reporter?

Also, yes, the LJ format is terrible for reading this fic. I wouldn't be surprised if some readers had skipped past scenes because they didn't know they were there. And as a consequence of how it's being published, scene-by-scene, it feels less like a cohesive tale and more like a series of scenes - disjointed.

Part 45 almost made me stop reading. It's forced drama. Ugh. Before I began reading I feared that Lex being preggers would be a cheap drama button, but was pleasantly surprised with how it was executed, only to find that Part 45 pushed the cheap drama button anyway.

12. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

She was just showing it off so Clark would spend more time with her. Remember she's not horrified until the next morning when his glasses slip off. Red k does nothing to humans.

13. yak

Oh, because I read in the Smallville wiki that Red Kryptonite made Lois Lane go crazy when it was in her lipstick. So, I wasn't sure if this was part of a ploy on Lex's part or not.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

That wasn't bad, but the current arc it's on is pretty terrible. Before the whole "
    Oh no, my mom is evil"
    started it was quite interesting, but right now the story is just aggravating. We're dealing with a 12th level intelligence, not a crackwhore

15. yak

I've finished reading what's there and... meh. Everything hits angst city after #45, and there's no real plot. It's a series of looks at wah wah relationships with nothing happening except for people angsting over what x, y, or z might be thinking/or will think.

I can only remember one action scene in the whole thing, that being the fight leading up to #45, but it was far from good. The story has also shifted focus since #45, away from Lex [and Mercy isn't seen at all any more], to focus on the Justice League characters, which I find a fairly boring change. I'm not invested in any of these new characters and and am even hostile-by-default towards them for their role in interfering with the relationship between Conner and his mother, the stars of the story.

16. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

NEVER ENDING IN FLIGHT STORIES!!!

Shattered Blade

I follow every story in the Fate/Stay crossover section, but this latest chapter is quite strong.

This story is about Karasuba and Shirou. The harem aspect barely exists, Minato exists as well, and it feels more about the characters than about the harem slice of life crap some other stories are plagued by.

17. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Right now in Pharos I'm just really interested in Conner learning that Lex
    cloned him to create Match and locked him up in Cadmus despite being perfectly sentient and Roy, the guy who opened his home was another clone his mom enslaved.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've been following Shattered Blade for a couple months now, and I agree that it's pretty good.

It does suffer from Shirou being more Kiritsugu than Shirou though, as so many FSN fics tend to do. Which annoys me somewhat, but I'm unfortunately used to it by now. I blame Gabriel Blessing for that.

19. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

This is my favorite of the various In Flight spinoff. It still has problems(like Karasuba being toned down so she can be the romantic interest), but I've had fun reading it. It does follow In Flight's plot a bit too closely for my tastes, but I'm willing to give the author a bit more time to diverge before I get very annoyed by it.

20. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Another YJ fic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8308219/1/Pattern
    Exactly what it says on the tin a fic based on how Supermartian broke up in S2.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
Not open for further replies.