1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I gave Steadfast a read, by the way. I felt like I was reading a well written laundry list of everything Gabe did wrong with Saber and Rin and how it could've been done better. All of Shirou's stupid ideas were shot down flawlessly and the fallout was handled quite well.

And Wild Card?
    I'm sold right there. I hope the story's as good as the summary.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with you about Steadfast. It's a little too much on the 'this is what GB did wrong' side of things, but that's only a minor detraction from an otherwise fine fic. I'm glad that Shirou's idiocy over not using/abusing the MBI Card was finally addressed, even if not to the extent I would've liked.

Meh. It's a crack fic. There's nothing serious there.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Yeah, I see that. Honestly, it's just what I needed to read; based on In Flight, pretty damn funny, and oh my god it's not part of all that Emiya Clan tomfoolery.

I will say I'm disappointed that Archer's there at all. I'd prefer the story continue on with out him, but I can deal with it.

6. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Yeah, I've been pretty negligent of actually reccing things to this thread I started, let me see if I can find some stuff that doesn't seem to already be in this thread (apologies if I'm repeating)

So first, for those who like reading things that are really fucking long, there's Captain Chryssalid's and Lathis's mega Ranma/Teen Titans/X-Com massive nested crossover thingy sort of featuring two Ryougas. It might not be to everyone's taste, but if you like it, you'll have a lot of material to consume considering it's about twice the length of Worm.

Teen Titans/Ranma 750k words:
    The Titans and the Lost Boy + Dark Titans

X-Com/Ranma 500k words:
    The Road to Cydonia

Cross of crosses 1.3 million words:
    Reflections Lost on a Dark Road

The whole thing is a WIP and has been stalled out for a year or so, but Captain Chryssalid is still active with other projects so it has a chance of survival. The last arc of the cross of crosses was especially good and probably the length of three novels all by itself.

-----

The League of Extraordinary Women Hermione Granger has to recruit six women to help her stop an army of monsters before her world is overrun. But none of the women are even in her dimension…

This is a sort of enjoyable megacross (HP/Buffy/SG1/various), which is usually the best you can get with anything HP/Buffy related.

The real reason for reccing it in this thread though is the spinoff though which features Alex Mack (and almost zero HP stuff) if anyone cares. You probably don't, but that's why this is almost recommended: The Secret Return of Alex Mack.

The total of all that is in the half million word range.

-----

Looking Glass: A Parahumans Fanfic Fanfic based on Worm/Parahumans by wildbow. James Shirakawa is a 'cape', a human with paranormal abilities trying to live out his life while balancing the demands of his society, of his family, and his conscience. He also really hates his power. - ONESHOT

Plus the sequel: Shattered Glass

People who read the Worm web original probably already know, but there is a fanfic of it approaching 50k total words and updating regularly, with a one shot opener followed by a full length WIP featuring a cape with powers that are spoilery if I talk about them. I wasn't too impressed with it at first, but it sort of grew on me.

-----

EDIT: Adding some stories from the Animorphs fandom, I forgot that it had actually had some developments lately that are worth mentioning

Six Days the Animorphs were Idiots and Ifi's Animorphs Fic Blog
    Last year the entire Animorphs Franchise got reviewed by two people, and one of them also wrote a lot of good middle and short length animorphs fanfics. They range from cracky to darkly serious (sometimes in the same fic), but in terms of overall quality it's some of the best stuff the fandom has ever seen. All the stories are complete, but sadly it seems Ifi is done with the Animorphs fandom.

Primary: the rise of Esplin 9466 From the beginning they knew he was different. Burning with curiosity, ambition, and charisma, one Yeerk consistently outshined his peers. But no one could have predicted the danger he would ultimately pose … to his friends as well as his enemies.

This type of story is always a risky read in the Animorphs fandom because it has a tendency of being done really shittily, but this is a shining gem of a good story. It does cover some material from The Hork-Bajir Chronicles and The Andalite Chronicles, but the new side of the story is pleasantly surprising and a ton of new story elements are introduced even in the more rehashy segments. It's a current WIP, 50k words.

The Dæmorphing Series by Bird of Poetry is an angsty fusion of Animorphs/Dark Materials of roughly 100k words. The angst level might not be to everyone's taste, but strangeness of crossover and general quality make it worth almost recommending. The Animorphs have Daemons and a lot of shorts are written in the universe; David's trilogy has a feature length novella. It would not be good to come at this from only the His Dark Materials side, as a lot of Animorphs knowledge is assumed and there is a fair amount of jumping around from short to short.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  7. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

We never see Team 7 do any taijutsu training, stealth training, physical conditioning, etc. I cannot remember a single instance.

Given how much they have all improved just from the bell test to the forest of death, I would suppose Kakashi must be teaching them. I do agree that it's bad storytelling that we aren't ever shown even one panel of this when we get dozens of panels about Kakashi's supposed laziness (that probably actually isn't -- I think he just likes to appear that way), but this is the author who basically forgot about Naruto's journey for 200 chapters, so what can you do?

8. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

For all we now it was Sasuke who was teaching the other two.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seems a little less likely than the "Kakashi trained them offscreen" scenario.

10. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

We know that Sasuke trains by himself. I don't recall seeing Sakura or Naruto doing so but it stands to reason that they do as well. With a clearer picture of what's expected of them in shinobi combat, on top of chakra control lessons, their personal training could have gotten more productive.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Naruto does a fair bit of self-training and so did Lee (and Hinata). We also see some team training with Team 8, (and there's an earlier panel of them being tired out when Kurenai standing over them), Gai teaching his team the Initial Lotus and when Obito and Kakashi sparred in a recent flashback. I think it might be right that the jounin sensei are mostly there for the missions since Kakashi leaves once the mission is done, but they provide their students with guidance for their development and useful skills (e.g. tree walking) without having specific training routines. Independent training is probably encouraged since by the Chuunin Exams, Team 7 had only done 8 missions so there should a lot of free time even with the month-long Wave mission.

Edit: And an almost-recc:

Dailies
    We've seen the adventures. But what went on behind closed doors in between action shots? A gaggle of oneshots detailing the daily lives of Roy Mustang and his squad. Hints of Ed/Win, Roy/Riza, and parental Roy/Ed. Rated T for language
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Humor/Family - Roy M. & Edward E. - Chapters: 32 - Words: 88,028 - Reviews: 923 - Favs: 654 - Follows: 513 - Updated: 05-12-13 - Published: 02-08-10 - id: 5730670

A series of interesting one-shots, basically.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  12. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Hey, I resemble that remark.

13. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

A new original serial I liked well enough. It seems as if it's directed into a "superpowers" or fantasy direction, but is still too short to put it up in the library.

http://banter-latte.annotations.com/2013/06/05/story-day-lovelace-12-part-1/

Technical writing is good, new concepts, has a touch of "coming of age"...

4/5 for now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Wow, we've had a fair few recommendations in the last week.

Wild Card just seems like borderline crack, and couldn't really get into it (even though there's only one chapter out).

Steadfast was pretty disappointing to. People are saying "at least it's better than In Flight", but I'd disagree with that. GB wrote Saber and Rin as dull and boring characters with such an anti-climatic meeting with Shirou, but at least he's somewhat consistent with his boring characters. Bard Linn's characterizations were just poor and dull. Conversations shot ahead too quickly, everyone was way too accepting of everything...it read like a typical 'wish fulfillment' fic, and did a pretty crappy job of it. I'd actually take In Flight over that.

Soul of Fire on the other hand was pretty cool. Not quite library material, but still quite fun as a Almost Recommendable fic.

First Contact was a real disappointment. It somehow manages to have zero tension despite the events that occur (further spoiled by the attempts at humour) and almost feels like a crack fic at times. No where near the level of Clash of Civilisations (Halo/ME crossover which has a similar First Contact synopsis but manages it a lot better).

Lucid Berserker was fun as a guilty pleasure. As Nemrut said, it is basically a blowjob to the Naruto characters, but still managed to stay enjoyable to me. At the very least, Naruto has enemies from his own universe to present a challenge (at the cost of all the other servants).

Edit: Just read the two chapters of Swinging Pendulum too. Pretty cool so far. So far, kinda similar to After the Fairy Tale Ends - with a somewhat bitter Ichigo in the academy trying to hide the extent of his full power.
    -------------------------------

Here's some new recs of my own.

Stalker/Familiar of Zero
    Stalker of Zero by TheannaTheWhite
    Failing the Springtime Summoning Ritual was fate for Louise de la Valliere. Unfortunately, fate had decided that something worse than summoning a commoner shall befall her, and she finds herself in a world where nearly everything is out to kill her and the very fabric of reality has been twisted beyond recognition. Welcome to the Zone, Louise.

Another Familiar of Zero crossover, except this time instead of summoning yet another familiar from a different universe, Loise manages to summon herself to the STALKER world - a idea that I really like and I've only seen it done twice (The Long Road Home (real shame it only got 3 chapters) and Making Magick). Still a guilty pleasure and quite short so far.

Rosario+Vampire
    Get What You Wanted by
    MistressWinowyll
    Moka and Tsukune have been together for years now, but have come to an impasse. What lengths will she go to get what she wants? How far will he let it go to deny her? M for strong and intense scenes.

I honestly feel very embarrassed recommending this. A real definition of guilty pleasure. I thought I had outgrown these silly angsty drama fics 7 years ago. Nonetheless, I came across this after deciding to try to look for R+V fics that weren't crossovers.

For anyone who has been in the fandom, they'll recognize this fic as seems to be quite famous - it spawned a challenge for people to rewrite it with different endings (and there's a large amount of lengthy fics that answered the challenge). This is heads and shoulders above the rest in quality of writing.

It actually has some pretty well written complex characters, character development, interactions and relationships (which its copy fics don't manage to pull off at all). Be prepared for a complete troll of an ending though (guess the author must've given up trying to tie all those leads into something that gives you closure).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  15. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

You're gonna have a hard time then, because apparently it's going to be Archer centric for the most part. He'll be the one winging Sekirei and all that jazz.

Not exactly my cup of tea, either.

Yeah...this fic is basically 50/50 idiot plot/contrived drama, and the characters seem to have discussions about the same thing over and over again and never really develop. Every chapter seems to tread old ground.

It's basically what you would get if you took a soap opera and then removed what little logic exists in that genre. I would only recommend this fic to masochists. :p

EDIT: If you want some lulz read Mistress Winowyll's FFN bio.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  16. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Man, that story is the definition of so bad it's good.

17. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

No, it's just bad.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Heh, can't really deny that. I'm struggling to understand what possessed me to actually somehow enjoy it - or recommend it - yesterday at all. o_O

19. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

It tries too hard at being dramatic but all it really does is make me laugh. The premise itself is laughable.

20. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You aren't alone. I occasionally have that problem too. Sometimes I'll spend way too long reading a story I think is okay only to later realise... goddamn, that stunk.

It's something like beer goggles for fics.

Not open for further replies.