1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first one.

2. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Everyone thinks the first season is terrible. They didn't know what they were doing with the show, and it's very obvious.

Skip to the second season, or better yet, Season 2 Episode 23. By that time they're starting to get into their stride, with the characters more set and with two new great main characters added (and a boring one dropped) that episode. That's where you see the dynamic that everyone raves about.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

It's not bad but is also short. It's how I felt about the Office before I decided to binge watch all of it.

Parks and Rec is more funny with the small bits of humor than the over all story line and I'd kind of equate it to Seinfeld in my mind. A show about nothing.

Not everyone is into that but then sometimes you gotta treat yo self.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Binged Paradise PD yesterday, which is an animated series streaming on Netflix with a first season of ten episodes.

The humour is of the extremely crude and vulgar variety, but modestly amusing in stages. Most of the characters are walking clichés, which leaves comparatively little wiggle room when it comes to their brand of behaviour. Contrary to my expectations, HoboCop was the most consistently funny character, while the main character (Kevin) is extremely bland. To appropriate a comment in a review I read afterwards (which I think came from IGN), Kevin is a straight man in a series that didn't really need one. The season's biggest weakness, however, is the main storyline, which culminates in a villain reveal that the show might as well have telegraphed with bright neon signs.

Overall, Paradise PD is decent enough if you're searching for entertainment on a slow afternoon, but not something I would watch repeatedly, or even on a weekly basis. The ability to binge-watch it really saved Paradise PD for me, o rI probably wouldn't have continued after the first two episodes or so.

6.5/10

5. Otters

High Score:
  6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You literally can't be racist against the Polish. Law of the universe.

Also Cavill was amazing in Man from UNCLE. I've not played the Witcher games but I think that should that TV series turn out to be shit he'll not be the reason why.

8. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Event seen that yet so can't comment on that one, but he has been pretty bad in everything else.

Hell I just found out he was in stardust. And that's a movie I have seen at least 3 times. Tells you what an impact he leaves on any role he plays.

The only thing I associate with him is screaming incoherently as superman

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's good in everything I've seen that's not DC (most recently in MI). I blame everything bad in the DCverse on bad writing/direction tbh.

Regardless... It's not like Geralt demands an actor that has great range...

This is a non-story. Call me when they don't cast Eva Green as Yen and I'll light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks, free of charge.

10. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Has anybody here seen the Jack Ryan TV show yet? Besides the dishonest US/Islamic terrorist topic the show was pretty good. Has the feel of the previous Ryan movies combined with 24 rawness/smart ideas. Binge-watched it.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yup. Loved it. Really liked OfficeGuy as Ryan, hadn't seen him in anything really. Pleasantly surprised.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I really like Henry Cavill, but I'm unsure if he's a right actors to play Geralt. It's just while Henry can act emotions and situations, in my opinion he never becomes a character and always is a variation of the same person. Which is why I like him as Superman, but consider him a complete miscast as Clark Kent. His usual acting doesn't fit Geralt, but he could surprise me.

But now I expect an equally big name for Yennefer and Eva Green is probably the best pick from these proposed by the fans.

13. Otters

High Score:
    Henry Cavill doesn't seem to have Geralt's rugged charm, but he's certainly good-looking and can be jazzed up to fit the role with all that cinematic magic. So long as they don't skimp on the yellow eyes and white hair, I'll be happy.

Still, apparently Henry Cavill is a massive fan of the games, and I'd take a poor fit who loves the material over a Geralt lookalike who cares as little as Dumbledore the Lesser cared about Harry Potter.

Fan art with Cavill:

[​IMG]

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Even better - he's also a fan of the books, which will bode well for this, as apparently it's set ~20 years before Witcher 3. I guess it's time to check out the books myself.

15. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Just watched this based on the rec. Probably the best cavill film I've seen. Some of the lines were hilarious and Hugh Grants short bit as well 'you're not having a very special day'. Gold.

16. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I recommend it whenever I can. It's just great. The ending is just pure gold.

I'm also a huge fan of the soundtrack.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  17. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

What do you mean by that?

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he's a great pick actually. UNCLE showed he can do the air of perpetual sarcasm thing VERY well, and that's 90% of Geralt. Moments where Geralt shows genuine emotion and vulnerability are largely limited to interactions with Yen and Ciri.

19. Otters

High Score:
    Polish people are legally categorised as livestock, and as such are exempt from EU discrimination laws.

OT: I just watched Cavill try out the fantasy action hero role in Immortals. The film was eh, but he pulled his part off well. I'm really warming up to the idea of him.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, with the lastest casting description there goes a chance for The Witcher to be anything but another battlefield for outraged masses on both sides of the argument.